Reallocated sectors

Soldato
Ok, so i was in the process of replacing a blatantly failing 2tb samsung drive with a new 3tb WD drive when i noticed one of my other drives was showing a yellow warning in hwinfo. After closer inspection it seems there are 82 reallocated sectors. Should i be worried about this drive?

Soldato
I would keep an eye on it and not store anything on there that is not backed up.

the error means that it has 82 sectors it can no longer use for storage and flagged them as bad.

If this continues to increase i would replace the drive.

How old is the drive? if its still under warranty maybe RMA the drive

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this is pretty much as I thought. I think the drive is a couple of years old, so it may still be in warranty. I will check the serial number on the WD site when I get back home.

I'm thinking WD will not take the drive back until it starts to fail the tests on the diagnostic tool though.

Soldato
When a drive finds a damaged sector it relocates it to a spare sector (usually at end of the drive) it only has a finite number of spares, so it uses this spare sector instead of the damaged one

When I get any drive starting to do this a get what ever info is on it off and then dispose of it

Back
Top Bottom