• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

% improvement from LGA775 X9650 to i5-6600?

Associate
I have an ageing LGA775 motherboard with an X9650 @ 3.5 GHz, with DDR2 memory running at 1000 MHz. It's showing it's age and I'm of a mind to upgrade to a skylake processor.

I use my PC for gaming mostly; I do use it quite heavily for software development and compiling, but I'm pretty admant on going for a consumer line of i5/i7 chips with LGA1151 chipset, rather than one of the Xeon solutions. So I would think maybe an i5-6600 or i7-6700K seems to be the consensus.

My question is, given those options, what sort of gaming performance improvement can I expect, percent-wise, for games released in the past year, say? If somebody can point me to benchmarks, or provide some numbers to back-up their reasoning, that would be great; LGA775 doesn't get benchmarked much nowadays!

Also worth mentioning I have GTX1060, so that is up-to-date.

Associate
Your not going to find many benchmarks for a 775 + 1060 platform , all i can say without giving you any figures is night/day , the QX9650 will be a HUGE bottleneck to the 1060 , and that's not to mention the gains in motherboard tech, memory and storage.

I mean going from a 775 platform to a westmere was a reasonable upgrade back then, to sandybridge was a giant leap.

Bottom line is - UPGRADE

Associate
Your machine, visually, would be like a rotting beached whale at this point. The kind of machine that is inflicted, second hand, on the un-knowing mother of three who works two jobs and can only afford hot dogs and macaroni for dinner 3 days a week. Ditch that thing.

Soldato
Depends on the game but IPC + clock speed improvements would probably mean a 100% improvement in raw CPU speed. Even more if you got a Core i7.

Associate
I'm in the same boat as the op. After many years away from it all things have changed massively. Just see the tread on the new INTEL PENTIUM G4560. Probably grab one as that will be a massive upgrade

Man of Honour
The performance boost by going from any 775 setup to a Skylake/Kabylake setup is going to be massive. Don't even think about it, just do it and you will not be disappointed. Go with Kabylake not Skylake though.

With AMD's Zen/Ryzen launch getting closer you may want to wait to see how good it is though.

Associate
Very little difference between skylake and kabylake.

Factoring in the cost of the motherboard, i saved over £100 buying a 6700k/z170 over 7700k/z270.

But definitely upgrade, that system is ancient.

This is exactly what im debating at the moment also, should i try and get some auctioned 6700k/z170 rather that new 7700k/z270, guess it depends how much of a saving it would be vs risk and annoyance as obviously the actual performance differences are small.

Soldato
I still bought my stuff new.

But the asrock z170 gaming k6 board was over £70 cheaper than the newly released z270 version. 7700k is about £40 more than a new 6700k too.

So i just felt it wasn't worth it for an extra 200mhz which is about all kabylake offers over skylake for a desktop machine.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So in the end I got a Z270 board with a 6600K.

In the entry level boards, the z170 boards cost the same as the z270 pretty much. Leaves me a little upgrade space in a couple of years; hopefully the 1151 socket will last for a year or two still.

The 6600K I got second-hand for 190, which was a nice little saving. I read somewhere (I think ars technica) that the skylake/kabylake 6600K/7600K performance difference on the i5's is pretty much non-existent when you clock the memory to 2400 Mhz, which I have done.

The difference was rather surprising; in some games it's really clear, up to 2x frame-rate, but in others not so much (e.g. deus ex: MD), which is quite weird! Anyway, it was high time for the upgrade ...

Associate
think i saw something recently, a 10 year look back piece. roughly doubled the performance.

a much cheaper option, but less performance would be a 771 cpu, and mod motherboard

Caporegime
pingu666;30420828 said:

Fascinating read,especially some of the links in the comments, echoes my experiences with my old Q8300 and GTX 580, it handled GTA V very well but ran the same title terribly when paired with a mates 1070 despite the 1070 being vastly quicker, the Q8300 bottlenecked it so much it was a stuttering mess!

Back
Top Bottom