PoE VDSL2 modem?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
My master socket is in the hallway, there is no power socket nearby. I intend to run an extension to where I will put the modem. This got me thinking, rather then extending the BT line to the modem what a PoE modem and then just ethernet to the router. This would keep the 'BT' side of things shorter, with less bends in the cable etc (extension will need to do a few 90degs and end up being approx 6m long).

Do these exist, or are there any that kind be powered if I split the power line out from a PoE cable?

edit:

Actually, there looks to be passive PoE things LinITX do that will just allow me to inject connect the VDSL modem PSU to the ethernet cable and just use that for PoE.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have never heard of a VDSL modem that can be powered by PoE.

Do be careful with basic PoE injectors as you could quite easily shove power up an ethernet cable and cause damage to your equipment.

Caporegime
Extending your phone line by 6m with high quality cable won't make a noticeable difference to your sync rate. So just do that.

Soldato
Use solid core Cat5e or CW1308.

Punch it down to the unfiltered terminals on the master socket and connect the other end to a faceplate (Ethernet or RJ11).

Whichever you use you only need to connect one pair (blue/blue white by convention).

Soldato
I've powered my hg612 with one of those tp link injectors and extractors with no issues. In the end I used the poe kit for something else and ran cat5e to allow me to move the modem 20m

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
Thanks all. I'll look into CW1308, it doesn't *need* to be cat5e as far as I can tell and I'd rather the cable be thinner and easier to route.

Any brands of cable to get / avoid?

Caporegime
Make sure it's copper and not CCA (copper clad aluminium), otherwise it's all the same. Cat5e isn't really that thick though, so I'd be tempted to just run that.

Soldato
They'll both work fine. Use whatever you can get hold of most easily. I'd use Cat5e but that's just because I've usually got some kicking around spare.

One advantage of Cat5e is that you could easily revert to your original PoE plan if you decide to.

Back
Top Bottom