Advice on phone upgrade please - Vodafone

Soldato
Hi all

Quite young and never really had this situation before as I tend to just start a new contract / jump network (did that once from O2 to vodafone)... But even while I was with O2, I had a BB 9900, HTC One X (BB FOC replacement mid-way through contract due to issues) then a Galaxy S4... Then jumped to Vodafone for my S6 Edge

I never really got / remember an option to 'upgrade' or take advantage of a 'free' phone/'free' upgrade that many family members etc seem to get

I've had some issues with Vodafone and my contract end date being too far in the future, and long story short-ish, it now finally shows my contract end date as April 3rd which is correct(-ish, to within a few days) and says I can upgrade to another package/phone etc from 19 January.

Just looking for any general advice you can offer please regarding what I should do.

Just at the moment from looking at rumours / brand loyalty point of view I'd quite like the Galaxy S8 when it is out in 2/3 months time likely... But would I be silly / missing out on any possible way of making money by upgrading now then selling on a brand new phone? And then buying the S8 outright?

What are your thoughts please? I guess it all depends on what the upgrade offers are that I'm offered on the 19th (I can't see them yet)

What do you guys normally do?

Thanks!! :)

Associate
I too am with Vodafone on a contract.

Dunno if it helps but, I always visit carphone warehouse to get my upgrade as the phones are not locked to any network and do not have the network bloatware installed on them.

Soldato
OP
I too am with Vodafone on a contract.

Dunno if it helps but, I always visit carphone warehouse to get my upgrade as the phones are not locked to any network and do not have the network bloatware installed on them.

Do you usually / have you in the past waited for the 'upgrade'? Or you just start a new contract each time?

I got my Galaxy S4 from CPW, but the S6 Edge was direct from Vodafone to take advantage of the student discount, which I will have to miss out on this year since graduating

Associate
If you fancy an S8 when it comes out then probably wait until your at the end of contract Well you'll have to anyway if your 3rd April contract end). You can early upgrade (with Vodafone rather than the online retailers possibly??) but you have no leverage to get a better deal. At end of contract you can always contact them for your pac code and then be put through to retentions where you may get a better deal. That said with an S8 being new out possibly they're unlikely to do many deals. As far as deals go then often as not better deals can be had with some of the online retailers with cash back offers.

Also worth finding out if vodafone are the best option where you live.

Most contracts end too far in the future when you are on a 2 year contract. I personally buy a phone and go sim only, either on a rolling monthly contract or a year. You can get 1 year phone contracts but of course they are more expensive/month. I appreciate to buy a Galaxy S8 sim free could be a big outlay of cash!

Soldato
OP
If you fancy an S8 when it comes out then probably wait until your at the end of contract Well you'll have to anyway if your 3rd April contract end). You can early upgrade (with Vodafone rather than the online retailers possibly??) but you have no leverage to get a better deal. At end of contract you can always contact them for your pac code and then be put through to retentions where you may get a better deal. That said with an S8 being new out possibly they're unlikely to do many deals. As far as deals go then often as not better deals can be had with some of the online retailers with cash back offers.

Also worth finding out if vodafone are the best option where you live.

Most contracts end too far in the future when you are on a 2 year contract. I personally buy a phone and go sim only, either on a rolling monthly contract or a year. You can get 1 year phone contracts but of course they are more expensive/month. I appreciate to buy a Galaxy S8 sim free could be a big outlay of cash!

Thanks for the tips

I think I had similar with O2 when I had the GS4, they had no offers at all really to keep me with a GS6 as it was so new at the time.

I keep thinking I'll be sensible, let it be out for a few months then buy... But I know I will change my mind the second I see it on the release day haha :D

Soldato
If you want an upgrade with Vodafone the thing to do is ask for your PAC code.

Do this by calling up and selecting the menu option to leave vodafone. You then get flagged for retention deals. This means you can get offered a discount on their published tariffs. You can get a 20% discount on their web prices plus the waiving of any upfront cost up to about £50 without much hassle.

A tip I have found is that they have multiple call centres. If you call through to retentions and speak to someone with a Northern Irish accent, hang up. This is an outsourced call centre and they have the least flexibility.

Soldato
OP
If you want an upgrade with Vodafone the thing to do is ask for your PAC code.

Do this by calling up and selecting the menu option to leave vodafone. You then get flagged for retention deals. This means you can get offered a discount on their published tariffs. You can get a 20% discount on their web prices plus the waiving of any upfront cost up to about £50 without much hassle.

A tip I have found is that they have multiple call centres. If you call through to retentions and speak to someone with a Northern Irish accent, hang up. This is an outsourced call centre and they have the least flexibility.

Good tip re: the call centres.. Thanks! :)

I'd wait for the S8 to come out first, voda subsides the first round of galaxy S sales quite heavily. Voda handsets ship with removable apps currently iirc. Everyone on consumer voda can unlock their handset after 3 months with this form https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/unlock-code-request/

Thanks for that link! Didn't know that, gonna do that with my S6 Edge which should make selling it easier / bigger market.

Overall it seems like it isn't worth taking any 'upgrade' deal then until the phone I actually ultimately want is out.

I do like the idea of SIM only and paying less per month, but yes there is the up front cost... I'll have to do some maths when the figures are available and see if it is worth it or not :)

Associate
Do you usually / have you in the past waited for the 'upgrade'? Or you just start a new contract each time?

I got my Galaxy S4 from CPW, but the S6 Edge was direct from Vodafone to take advantage of the student discount, which I will have to miss out on this year since graduating

With VF you can upgrade 2months before the end of your current contract, but you will need to start a new contract from that date.

Soldato
OP
With VF you can upgrade 2months before the end of your current contract, but you will need to start a new contract from that date.

Ahh right cool! Still doesn't quite match up with the 3rd April then as to why they're offering me a free upgrade from 19 Jan but oh well :)

Just did the network unlock, very quick and simple :D Done already and works great.

Soldato
Just a note, selling a contract phone within a certain period of time after obtaining it on contract is not allowed as the carrier is still technically the owner of the device. Not sure how long it is with Vodafone (I believe 6 months)

Soldato
OP
Just a note, selling a contract phone within a certain period of time after obtaining it on contract is not allowed as the carrier is still technically the owner of the device. Not sure how long it is with Vodafone (I believe 6 months)

Cool thanks! Makes sense to be honest. Even though I will continue (if I was to do it) making the payments

Best to be safe :)

Soldato

Pretty sure that's not true... Do you have a source for that info?

Soldato
OP
Pretty sure that's not true... Do you have a source for that info?

I haven't looked into it but it sounds reasonable as surely you're still paying the phone off? Like selling a car on finance.

What I don't understand is why it isn't for the duration of the contract though, why only a few months at the start.

Maybe ph0 can clarify / provide more information

Soldato
I did a bit more digging on this, it is in the T&C of Vodafone:

You will only own the mobile equipment following the successful payment of your first six bill

and

4h. We may provide you with mobile equipment when you take out a bundle. We will own any mobile equipment which we provide you until you have successfully paid your first six bills. During this time, you understand and agree that you:

i. must not sell, lease or otherwise permanently give the mobile equipment to anyone

and

4i. Provided you successfully pay your first six bills by the payment due date and you do not breach this agreement (for example, you fail to pay the charges when they are due); you will automatically own the mobile equipment.

However, it seems from September last year they removed this clause on their contracts and you own the phone from day one.

Apologies for any confusion! Interested to know what clause' other network providers have.

Soldato
OP
So the upgrade deals are available... Nothing special (as expected really)

I am leaning towards the SIM only + buy S8 outright approach... Although there is a reasonable upfront cost (partially covered by the sale of my S6 Edge), I quite like the idea of less going out each month

No contracts seem good value to what I have now though lol because this is a £50-something contract discounted down to about £43.50 due to repeated issues with Vodafone. Includes 24 month spotify + 8GB of 4G data

Hmmmm

(the discounts won't rollover to the new one though)

Soldato
I'd go with the Sim only and phone outright option if I were in your shoes (which I will be August 2018).

I initially took out a S7 with them for £30 p/m (after 20% VEA), then I decided I wanted the S7 Edge, went onto live chat and was told it's the same price (clearly it wasn't).

Called CS and kicked up a fuss as they refused to offer this, I told them I had the chat transcript offering the above, they said they will have to honour it, so I've got 6gb/unlimited calls & text with a free handset for £30 p/m for 24 months.

I don't think they'd make the same mistake again so I'll have to review my options once the contract is over :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah seems like the way to go, maybe looking into a third party to buy through which seem to have better deals

Lol that's a similar sort of way I got onto the tarrif I am on now, for the price I'm on... Was due to them promising me something on a recorded call (I recorded it) so they had to honour it :D

Back
Top Bottom