Why don't I need the pixel xl? ☺

Associate
Ok so it's upgrade time with EE coming from a galaxy S6 (none edge)

So my biggest gripes.... Battery never lasts a full day with some decent you tube viewing for an hour a day
... Some camera work and usual messaging and email.

And then there was always the urge to root so I could go stock android for better battery performance...

So why do I think I need to 'wait' for s8 etc?
I've never had a waterproof phone.... Not used a memory card for years.... (32gb seems good for me)

They seem to have fixed the battery performance with pixel... Camera is improved... Fast charging..... And no lag from the OS......

So why does if feel the wrong time to upgrade?! Anyone else feel like this or should I go for the pixel xl.
(with a case... So not bothered about what it looks like...)

Soldato
I was on a S6 Edge+ for over a year and really wanted to move to the Note 7 (that idea went up in smoke) and eventually thought I'd try the S7E (had for a week but never took to it so returned to O2).
So was in the position where the Pixel XL was just crying out to be bought, or wait for the S8. Went for the XL and have not regretted at all since, the stock android is exquisite.

I've never needed waterproofing - even when I did have it with the S5 and my Sony Z3C I still made damn sure not to get the phone wet, just because a phone has and IP rating of 67/68 doesn't in my opinion give me licence to test it, I've not once bought a phone or watch that is safe to 2m or whatever and immediately thought, I must take it into the pool, but yes it's nice to know that an unsavoury fall into the sink or the toilet and it will be ok.

Never used a memory card myself and with so many options for online storage (and my 20gb allowance) I've yet to surpass 12gb used on my Pixel anyway.

Camera is superb, best I've used on a smartphone.

Fast charging is so much more convenient (to me anyway) than wireless charging.

I have a couple of great cases for mine too.

Soldato
No harm in waiting a couple more weeks to see what is going to be coming out from all the manufacturers, you might find something you like.

We are probably going to get the next gen Pixel in the next 5-6 months too.

Soldato
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen®-Cr...&qid=1484603523&sr=1-5&keywords=pixel+xl+case

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M7PNVBY/ref=noref?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MTSV...603638&sr=8-45&keywords=pixel+xl+case+leather

If I had to pick just one of the three I'd probably go for the Spigen as it's very slim yet gives good protection although I do like the Cruzerlite one as well as it offers a good grip in the hand and provides A LOT of protection.
The leather backed case doesn't really do all that much, just adds something different.

Soldato
My contract on nexus6 was up a month or two ago and for the first time i didnt bother upgrading. There is just nothing worth upgrading to at the moment from my nexus 6. Not only does the pixel lack the stereo speaker and size of my n6, but its god awful ugly with those bezels. It looks like a bad iphone but no home button for the excuse.

I am personally now waiting to see what the s8 is like, and hoping for a decent tech upgrade.

Associate
I don't think the Pixel is worth the price Google are asking for it, even less so when the S8 launches in April for probably less than what the Pixel is selling for.

I have a Nexus 6P it's a superb phone, but this will be my last ever stock Android phone & i'll probably go with the S8 sometime in early Summer.

Associate
OP
thanks fellas.

Ordered the Pixel XL with 25gb..data can use 15gb data abroad... BT sport app and unlimited texts and calls... £35 month.
Should come tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions on the cases.

Will see how it goes - cant see it being a problem to be honest. If the OS works as well as Ive read then should be good. I guess if the S8 has some killer features may have to sell it and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom