Gamers How do you set up your space

Soldato
I leave most of my games on my HDDs and the ones I play most I move to SSDs

Why do you want a NAS hdd? it will work.. but it is probably cheaper to get a normal HDD

Associate
1Tb ssd for steam only.

Same. I have an older Samsung 830 256GB for OS and apps and an 850 TB SSD for Steam/Origin/Games

IF I ever were to go back to a mechanical drive for game storage a standard 7200 rpm disk would do. I'd likely loose patience quickly though and move back to an SSD - even a 256 can hold the amount of games I would play concurrently and those are resonably priced these days ;)

Soldato
I don't use any HDDs anymore (except for backup)

I have a 250GB 850 Evo for the OS and then another 250GB 850 Evo for games only.

My PC is only ever used for gaming so if i need to format and re install the OS all my games are still stored on my second SSD and i just re add the games back after.

Soldato
I have two SSD's and two HDD;s.

One SSD is for my OS, the other OS is for games.

Smaller HDD is 1tb and I use it for shadowplay.

Larger HDD is 4TB and is used for main storage and archiving.

Associate
This is my current implementation and future plan.

2x250 ssd in RAID 0 for OS and Aplications
1 - 1TB SSD for games and temporary video work (not yet installed)
2x2TB HDD in Raid 1 - bulk storage (document, photos, video, downloads etc)
1-2TB HDD - OS backups (not yet installed)

All critical data (document / finished videos / pictures / saves ETC) synced to my NAS and important / unmissable data is backed up offsite.

Edit: steam mover is a useful application to transfer games between SSD and HDD if you are low on fast storage space.

Last edited:
Soldato
My gaming rig runs as a VM within UnRaid. So OS runs from the Cache drive, my Steam library is installed to a share within UnRaid, the advantage to this is that I can move games between the array and cache without Windows or Steam knowing that anything has changed. I have the games I play most stored on Cache and the rest on the Array.

Like this...

Soldato
i just have hdds in my desktop of the sizes listed in my sig, my 1tb main drive is full bar like 300gb, the 750gb is filled bar like 20 or 30gb and the 2nd 1tb has some things on, but as i dont have an ssd i will split the storage so i dont slow my windows too much as i have movies/music and other stuff other than games, but if i had another ssd and was used in my desktop that time round then i would have certain low size games/apps on it(we talking those that are under 20gb then use the rest of my drives for the big games etc, mean my origin and steam folders are like over 200 or 300gb each lol

Back
Top Bottom