• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 7700k XMP on

Associate
Hi I bought a new 7700k and when i turn on the XMP profile in bios my temperature goes up by 10c is this normal for my CPU ?. and when i turn it off it drops to 10c in temps. why does this cursing my cpu temps to go up when i turn on XMP ?. thank you for your help

Associate
Hi I bought a new 7700k and when i turn on the XMP profile in bios my temperature goes up by 10c is this normal for my CPU ?. and when i turn it off it drops to 10c in temps. why does this cursing my cpu temps to go up when i turn on XMP ?. thank you for your help

I'm going to try this with my 7700K when I get home and see what happens.

Currently have XMP on amd have manually set vcore so suspect I won't see a change but it'll be interesting to try nonetheless.

Associate
Found it.

I'm running a Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170. Vccsa is referred to as system agent voltage in bios. No option for cpu standby voltage on this board. Auto vccio sets it at 0.960.

Test with XMP disabled amd auto settings (mem at 2166)

Vccsa amd vccio set to auto.
HWiNFO reports Vccsa as 1.068.
HWiNFO does not report vccio.
Max core temp under stress is 51.

Test with XMP enabled (3000). Vccio set 1v. System agent voltage (Vccsa) set 1v.

HWiNFO reports Vccsa at 1.008
Max core temp under stress 61.

Test setting memory timingwand voltage in advanced manual mode. Dram speed 3000mhz. Dram voltage cannot be set at 1.35. Options for 1.36 or 1.34. I set to 1.34.

Max core temp 61 under stress.

Max core temp without setting vccio and Vccsa manually, XMP turned on. System under stress was 64.

Best I can manage is a 3 degree reduction

Associate
OP
I'm going to try this with my 7700K when I get home and see what happens.

Currently have XMP on amd have manually set vcore so suspect I won't see a change but it'll be interesting to try nonetheless.

hi mate let me know what happens am running my 7700k on a gigabyte z170x gaming 7 motherboard with the latest beta bios installed. i noticed that changing the dram voltage effect the cpu temperature as well. thanks

Associate
Adjusting vccio and Vccsa made little difference.

What made the biggest difference? My mobo was auto Overclocking my cpu to 4.5ghz on all cores. With vcore manually set to 1.170. This would cause my cpu package temp to rise to 61 (custom wc loop).

I have now set cpu multiply to stock setting of 42. Slowly lowering vcore and stress testing. I'm at 1.08vcore so far amd package temp down to 56. Still not as low as with XMP off which was 51 will all cores at 4.5ghz.

Tried to boot with vcore at 1.0 and system hangs.

Is this progress! I have no idea. Every day is a learning day.

Associate
I really wouldn't be concerned. Just make sure it's stable.

It's stable. But want to reduce temps.

Decided to go back to x45 multiplier at 1.170vcore XMP enabled. Max package temp using aida64 stress test is 64. Max package temp in x264 is 61.

Vccsa at 1.0v. Vccio at 1.0v.

Delid in a few weeks. Just for fun.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Found it.

I'm running a Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170. Vccsa is referred to as system agent voltage in bios. No option for cpu standby voltage on this board. Auto vccio sets it at 0.960.

Test with XMP disabled amd auto settings (mem at 2166)

Vccsa amd vccio set to auto.
HWiNFO reports Vccsa as 1.068.
HWiNFO does not report vccio.
Max core temp under stress is 51.

Test with XMP enabled (3000). Vccio set 1v. System agent voltage (Vccsa) set 1v.

HWiNFO reports Vccsa at 1.008
Max core temp under stress 61.

Test setting memory timingwand voltage in advanced manual mode. Dram speed 3000mhz. Dram voltage cannot be set at 1.35. Options for 1.36 or 1.34. I set to 1.34.

Max core temp 61 under stress.

Max core temp without setting vccio and Vccsa manually, XMP turned on. System under stress was 64.

Best I can manage is a 3 degree reduction

i set everything on default in the bios only change XMP settings when i set it to XMP on my voltage reports cpu system agent is 1.2v and vccio at 1.2v dram voltage 1.36v at speed of 3000mhz. what type of memory do you have ?. thanks

Associate
OP
It's stable. But want to reduce temps.

Decided to go back to x45 multiplier at 1.170vcore XMP enabled. Max package temp using aida64 stress test is 64. Max package temp in x264 is 61.

Delid in a few weeks. Just for fun.

what is your temp when you use prime95 28.10v ?. am getting 4.6 ghz at 1.260v vcore fully stable at 80c when xmp enabled

Associate
i set everything on default in the bios only change XMP settings when i set it to XMP on my voltage reports cpu system agent is 1.2v and vccio at 1.2v dram voltage 1.36v at speed of 3000mhz. what type of memory do you have ?. thanks

Corsair vengeance lpx XMP 3000. I changed vccio to 1.0v and Vccsa to 1.0v - it's stable.

Everything on default except cpu vcore, vccio and Vccsa. Cpu vcore at 1.70. It fails x264 stress test at 1.65 vcore. Dram voltage is 1.35 - can't set this in bios XMP profile does it automatically. It also allows all cores to hit max boost of 4.5ghz without manually adjusting cpu multiplier.

I don't use prime95. I see no need. X264 is more than adequate but you need to leave it running overnight. I can try it for you tomorrow though for the sake of comparison. Going to bed now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

what is your temp when you use prime95 28.10v ?. am getting 4.6 ghz at 1.260v vcore fully stable at 80c when xmp enabled

Stop using prime95!
Or - why do you want to lower temp when you're only peaking at 64c???

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom