10/100Mb Switch VS Gigabyte Switch

Associate
Moved into my new house a couple of months ago and previous owner had networked the entire house. I have a 24 port patch panel and now I need to purchase a 24 port switch.

For my needs which I will list below am I better off with a 10/100Mb Switch which can be had for 35 quid or Gigabyte Switch which are around £70 quid.

My equipment (all with Gigabyte network ports)

100gb Internet

Gaming PC
Server
Amazon fire TV boxes
Xbox
Virgin Box

My usage Scenario

Server which downloads movies, Tv etc
Streaming Plex from my Server to devices listed above
Copying photo's from Mac to Server for Backup purposes.

All devices currently plugged directly into my router and happy with current speeds.

Thanks in advance for your help

Tony

Associate
You don't need a 24 port switch you only have 5 devices connected.

You'd be better of looking at a 12-16 port switch for possible future expansion.

24 port is a slight overkill for a home.

Soldato
I was going to make the same comment, but the difference in cost between unmanaged 16 port and 24 port switches is so small that you may as well get the 24 port.

12 port switches are so rare they can be ignored.

8 port switches are usually going to be too small if you're after a single centralised switch.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback Gigabyte switch it is then. Would rather get a 24 port then that saves me having to buy another in the future. I will defo get filled up in no time.

House is currently networked as follows.

Living room 4 ports
Conservatory 2 ports
Master bedroom 4 ports
Spare room 2 ports
Son's room 2 ports

Have a couple of cables run into loft for redundancy and would like to add a couple of ports to garage and get one into the summer house in the garden.

Back
Top Bottom