ROG GL752VW M2 SSD only 350mb/s?

Soldato
I recently got a second hand ROG GL752VW laptop... skylake i5 960M.

It came with a 1tb mechanical hard drive, so i bobbed down to ocuk and got a crucial MX300 m2 SATA to use as a main drive. Paid at counter, we fitted it and BIOS found it so all good!

Now i have cloned the (fresh) windows 10 install and run some tests it seems something is not quite right.

At first i cloned and checked alignment and that was all ok. First HD tune test recorded 250mb/s speeds! i reinstalled the ACHI drivers and now its upto 350mb/s but still far below the close to 500mb/s speeds i was expecting.

All diagnostics check out ok and drive is healthy and running at UDMA mode6... ACHI in bios and all drivers up to date as far as i can tell.

What have i missed? do i have a dodgy drive.. a dodgy m2 interface or am i just never going to get the full speed? :confused:

The back of the laptop has a label stating that "only SATA M2 COMPATIBLE"... but in the BIOS under sata settings there is no option to change from AHCI to SATA? could this be the reason?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ignore me i am am idiot :p

I ran crystal and came back as 500mb/s.... then i remembered why i was only getting low scores on HD tune... i had forgot to alter the data blocks to 8MB!

Plus i had forgotten its a laptop and had to set the power management to full performance!

DOH! all working full speed now ( it was anyway it seems :rolleyes: )

Soldato
Ignore me i am am idiot :p

I ran crystal and came back as 500mb/s.... then i remembered why i was only getting low scores on HD tune... i had forgot to alter the data blocks to 8MB!

Plus i had forgotten its a laptop and had to set the power management to full performance!

DOH! all working full speed now ( it was anyway it seems :rolleyes: )
:DBeen there done that too:D

Back
Top Bottom