• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1070 vs 980 Ti

Soldato
OP
The 1070 runs quieter/cooler, uses less power and gets similar performance with the typical boost (~1.9-2.1 Ghz). However, it has a lower memory bus width (256- vs 384-bit) and fewer cores (1920 vs 2816). Roughly speaking the 1070 needs to be running ~800-900 MHz faster to match the 980Ti so if you overclock a 980Ti past 1400 MHz, then it's going to win by a small margin in most circumstances as 1070s don't tend to get above 2100MHz.

I doubt you'll notice much in the performance between the two cards.. so depends on how much value you put on noise, temperature and power usage (I don't think the memory is really a big factor). I'd not pay more than £250 for a second-hand 980Ti though. I just got one for £210, but had I been unable to get one under £250, I'd probably have paid the extra for a 1070.

Either way, you'll be happy :)

Thanks for this, maybe I am best off sourcing a cheap 2nd hand one in the wanted section. I need to check if I can run my graphics card in the bottom slot of my board. Otherwise my PSU is in the way.

Associate
Thanks for this, maybe I am best off sourcing a cheap 2nd hand one in the wanted section. I need to check if I can run my graphics card in the bottom slot of my board. Otherwise my PSU is in the way.

that's a good plan but don't forget the warranty issue. You might get a cheaper 980Ti and if it dies after 4 months you've basically wasted your money. a 1070 you can buy new, will have full warranty. You can even get a Zotac one which comes with 5 years warranty.

Second hand is always a risk, you might pay £250 and not have anything to show for it, in which case you'll then get a 1070 and in the end you would have paid as much as you would have paid for a 1080 but ended up with a 1070.

Soldato
Similar performance but the 1070 is cooler, quieter and newer architecture. Performance gap will open up in time as nvidia stops optimising drivers for older cards.

Only buy a 980ti if you can get one for a very good price. Otherwise it is 1070 all the way.

Soldato
that's a good plan but don't forget the warranty issue. You might get a cheaper 980Ti and if it dies after 4 months you've basically wasted your money. a 1070 you can buy new, will have full warranty. You can even get a Zotac one which comes with 5 years warranty.

Second hand is always a risk, you might pay £250 and not have anything to show for it, in which case you'll then get a 1070 and in the end you would have paid as much as you would have paid for a 1080 but ended up with a 1070.

Your covered with Evga 2nd hand.

Soldato
landed myself a STRIX 980Ti for £300 on the bay, saved my self £100 instead of the 1070 Strix. £100 massive help of the xmas gifts haha

could have landed it cheaper I think, tried to play the heavy hand quickly and didn't work out as good.

Soldato
Seems a lot for a second hand card to me.

I'd say a brand new 1070 is easily worth the extra £100.

This is why i eventually coughed up for a 1070. People wanting far too much for second hand 980tis.

Will re-write that, buying retail would have been extra £150 so in theory quite a bit of money.

Couldn't say that i'd game that much to warrant the extra cash . Just peoples different mind sets on how they quantify cash, objects and time they use it.
Current 960 couldn't handle my 1440p screen and 1060 at its retail price wasn't worth it .

will say, if nvidia do release the cut down 1070/80 chips as 1060's... please make them Ti can cover a nice £300 mark :D

Associate
landed myself a STRIX 980Ti for £300 on the bay, saved my self £100 instead of the 1070 Strix. £100 massive help of the xmas gifts haha

could have landed it cheaper I think, tried to play the heavy hand quickly and didn't work out as good.

That's a good deal! That strix should be awesome. :cool:

Associate
Not sure I'd be spending £300 on a used 980ti today, but either way I'm sure it will do you well enough.

£300 doesn't sound too bad for something that is generally faster if you overclock it a little, and most of them are still under warranty (the one I'm trying to buy is still brand new in its box - though I still have my old wc-block so it's going to be watercooled).

Soldato
Will re-write that, buying retail would have been extra £150 so in theory quite a bit of money.

Couldn't say that i'd game that much to warrant the extra cash . Just peoples different mind sets on how they quantify cash, objects and time they use it.
Current 960 couldn't handle my 1440p screen and 1060 at its retail price wasn't worth it .

will say, if nvidia do release the cut down 1070/80 chips as 1060's... please make them Ti can cover a nice £300 mark :D

Definitely a better choice than a 1060 gaming at 1440p.

Just seems a lot of cash for a second hand 980ti when you can get a 1070 for around £360 or £400 for a good one (my zotac amp was 400).

But I'm sure it will do you well.

Soldato
There's a lot to be said for something working silently away in the background doing exactly what you need and causing no fuss. That's what my 1060 does in my htpc. Only regret about my 1080 is not getting a better cooler!

Soldato
I want power in my PC but I downsized my PC case to mATX Raijintek Styx so I do have to worry about space, airflow etc.

IMO you don't want to be putting any custom 980Ti mounted upside down in a footprint that small, it'll melt:p, also a heads up if you went used 980Ti reference, I think it has a vapour chamber that won't work properly mounted upside down either.

1070 FE just has a lump of metal for the heatsink so it wouldn't be affected mounted upside down.

Associate
Similar performance but the 1070 is cooler, quieter and newer architecture. Performance gap will open up in time as nvidia stops optimising drivers for older cards.

Only buy a 980ti if you can get one for a very good price. Otherwise it is 1070 all the way.

Pascal is same architecture as maxwell.There will be always same gap in future.
(pascall have new delta color compression and thats all+some VR stuff.But we dont talking about VR performance)

980Ti at 1500mhz is around 10-15% faster than GTX1070 at 2100mhz and it will be always like that.

this will change only after volta release.That will be new architecture and both maxwell and pascal will take hit.Pascal is just stop-Gap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom