• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just my stupid rambling thoughts...

Associate
1. If you could connect one GPU to two PCIe x16 connectors would it be able to process it faster? Are PCIe connectors getting close to their end of life and need of replacement??

2. Also... in a few years time if someone decided to be a cheapskate, could they modify the DDR5 memory in their GPU to a RAM slow capable of DDR5?

3. With CPU sizes getting smaller and smaller, are they going to eventually stop because if they get any smaller X might happen?

Soldato
My thoughts (may or may not be true)

1 - We are no where near needing faster PCIe connections.

2 - no. DDR5 wont have much in common with GDDR5.

3 - Its becoming increasingly expensive and difficult to shrink the transistors. I think ~6nm is about as low as we can go before its just not worth it anymore? Then its on to non silicon materials such as graphene.

Associate
1. If you could connect one GPU to two PCIe x16 connectors would it be able to process it faster? Are PCIe connectors getting close to their end of life and need of replacement??

2. Also... in a few years time if someone decided to be a cheapskate, could they modify the DDR5 memory in their GPU to a RAM slow capable of DDR5?

3. With CPU sizes getting smaller and smaller, are they going to eventually stop because if they get any smaller X might happen?

1. I think that's impossible to do. You can do it the other way and connect two gpu's to one slot. Look up PCIe Bifurcation

2. No. GDDR memory is completely seperate to DDR, they might share some principles but aren't cross compatible.

3. In regards to transistors there is a point where quantum effects like quantum tunnelling will be very important to consider. It's possible we won't see any comercial products with transistors smaller than 7nm.
Relevant Wikipedia article

Associate

X is definitely going to happen anyway.

Associate
1. I think that's impossible to do. You can do it the other way and connect two gpu's to one slot. Look up PCIe Bifurcation

That's really cool, never knew you could do it! Anyone know where one could buy a pcie -> dual pcie riser card? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom