• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bru

bru

Soldato
Well going by AMD's last few events, I would expect a teaser, without much real info.
The 13th is suppose to be a Zen event not a Vega event.

Soldato
Or it could mean that their mole in AMD has spilled the beans and that's why they have the titan card played already.

Volta was slated for 2018, there is little they can do to bring it forward. Silicon isn't a 3d printer.
Eh, I try not to dive too much into conspiracy sort of stuff like that.

And Volta has not been given any official year dating. There's an Nvidia graph that could indicate 2018, but could also be interpreted as indicating late 2017.

If they really think their current offerings will get them through another full year and more with nothing but a more affordable GP102 variant and a refresh of all other cards, I'd say they they're either underestimating AMD greatly, which doesn't seem that likely to me, or they aren't particularly afraid of what Vega will bring.

AMD Vega To Debut January 2017 At CES, Secret Preview Happening Now

http://wccftech.com/amd-vega-event/

:p
Man, that would be ace. What I've really been hoping for. Early 2017 announcement of Vega, with a release before Q2. I know they've said H1, which typically means late Q2, I just think that's just so long to go while letting Nvidia reign unopposed in the $300+ enthusiast categories.

Soldato
http://seekingalpha.com/article/402...ent-presents-barclays-global-technology-media

Devinder Kumar

Yes, I think if you put in perspective, the ATI acquisition was almost 10 years to the day today. It was about the strategy to put the graphic and CPU on the same chip in the form of an APU. But, as it turns out, the attach rates have gone down a lot slower than everybody expected. Those three GPUs are still significant market opportunity. We've made some good strides in terms of lot of these products we entered in the middle part of 2016, and gain market share significantly on [indiscernible] graphics space.

But and probably thanks to the way the market has evolved. But we see opportunities and everybody sees opportunities, the GPUs in this particular space can be a growing market and it’s a workload and they use it more than allow us to do that, we've invested in that area.

And you've seen us recently or you’ve seen an announcement recently with Alibaba in China and even Google that has announced engagement with AMD on the GPU side to be utilizing the data center space. And as you rightfully observed in the data center space or in any space, but data center, in particular, you have CPUs, which we have and we’re refreshing the product with Zen. But we also have GPUs that are coming up.

Alibaba is introducing a current generation of GPUs, but we do have Vega products coming out in the middle part of 2017. And that should help us from an overall standpoint of being more competitive in a space that, for example, our competitor has taken that world by storm. Everybody is talking about GPU acceleration.

And I just caution that this is an investment that pays off over the longer-term. But it is definitely an area that we are very focused and go invest and capture fair share in that particular area over a multi-year period. But that is really the future in terms of where the next level of growth could come in terms of machine learning, deep learning, the training in forums, and all of the stuff that you read about in that particular space.

So,Devinder Kumar says their Vega based FirePro cards are being released in the middle of 2017.

Caporegime
Man, that would be ace. What I've really been hoping for. Early 2017 announcement of Vega, with a release before Q2. I know they've said H1, which typically means late Q2, I just think that's just so long to go while letting Nvidia reign unopposed in the $300+ enthusiast categories.

They really need to nail this and as you say it really needs to come before the end of H1. Otherwise Nvidia will have had the 1080 out for over a year by then!

It also needs to be faster and cheaper than the 1080, otherwise what is the point.

I'm hoping it will be around Pascal Titan performance for ~£500. The gpu market really needs that to push things forward. Anything less and it will be a bit of a disappointment.

Associate
No wonder Amd are in trouble cash wise a lot of people want them to give the same performance at about half the price.

Huh? They do need to provide better performance at the same price, or the same performance at a much cheaper price to have a chance at gaining some market share, as they are late to the party and most have already upgraded (and won't upgrade unless there's a good enough reason to). So the only way they are going to sell a lot of cards is to make it perform as fast as say the gtx 1070, but price it much lower (like nvidia did with the GTX 970).

Caporegime
Or it could mean that their mole in AMD has spilled the beans and that's why they have the titan card played already.

Volta was slated for 2018, there is little they can do to bring it forward. Silicon isn't a 3d printer.

No, but Volta is a name and a name can be moved to apply to another product entirely. So it's looking relatively likely that the 10nm original Volta will just get called something else and Nvidia release a respin of Pascal and call that Volta and voila... Volta got brought forward 12 months as if by magic.

Soldato
No wonder Amd are in trouble cash wise a lot of people want them to give the same performance at about half the price.

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=NASDAQ:AMD

They shouldn't be soon if the graphics/cpu market continues to grow (in general). Need to wait a generation or 2 before average Joe sees the difference in products though.

They now have similar market cap to nvidia back in 2014 and from that point nvidia started to grow rapidly.

Caporegime

Because when they don't meet the unrealistic expectation, people will buy Nvidia, whether or not AMD still beats Nvidia in value.

They might well be a YEAR late. A YEAR.

It is going to have to be faster and cheaper or at least significantly one of those two things.

What would be the point in releasing a £500+ Vega 10 which only has the same performance as a 1080 but nearly a year later. That would be the worst thing they could do, because come the middle of next year, Nvidia could probably make a 1080 type card for peanuts and just majorly undercut AMD.

If it does come out in Q2 2017 and is in the enthusiast price point (~£500) it needs to be packing around Pascal titan performance. I fully expect it will as well, if the leaked specs are to be believed.

Last edited:
Soldato
They might well be a YEAR late. A YEAR.

It is going to have to be faster and cheaper or at least significantly one of those two things.

What would be the point in releasing a £500+ Vega 10 which only has the same performance as a 1080 but nearly a year later. That would be the worst thing they could do, because come the middle of next year, Nvidia could probably make a 1080 type card for peanuts and just majorly undercut AMD.

If it does come out in Q2 2017 and is in the enthusiast price point (~£500) it needs to be packing around Pascal titan performance. I fully expect it will as well, if the leaked specs are to be believed.

Given that the leaked AMD gpu that popped around AOTS is 12gflops, that could make it faster than the TXP.......

bru

bru

Soldato
Given that the leaked AMD gpu that popped around AOTS is 12gflops, that could make it faster than the TXP.......

It could do.

But then it might not either.

Think of it this way, the RX480 is getting close to the 1060 now with the latest driver releases, so lets call them even. That is the RX 480's 5.8TFlops vs the 1060's 4.3TFlops.

So that is about a 34% TFlop advantage to the RX480 and yet it just about breaks even.

Two RX480 fall somewhat short of a 1080 let alone the TitanX

Vega's supposed 12TFlops is about 10% more than TitanX's 10.9Tflops.

So Vega would need to find that extra from somewhere, maybe all the optimising AMD has done, the reworking of the core might very well do wonders for its pipeline efficiency, who knows.

We will just have to wait and see. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom