• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1060 vs. RX 480 - A World Flipped on it head!

Soldato
I was just questioning the performance gain their article shows, seeing as it doesn't match up with what others have shown, with the new drivers, considering theirs was with older drivers.

HWCanucks running a 5960X system close to the best of the best, TPU in comparison is running a pretty average 6700K so it's only logical that Canucks will extract every last ounce of performance out of both cards in the test.

Not to say one is on the money and the other isn't as, IMO it's likely one of those paid for spreads like Nv's been bankrolling for years-except AMD actually splashed the cash for once.

But hey, it's early days still, this time next year the 480 will have left the 1060 in it's dust and probably rubbing shoulders with my 1070 anyway like it always happens.

Last edited:
Soldato
HWCanucks running a 5960X system close to the best of the best, TPU in comparison is running a pretty average 6700K so it's only logical that Canucks will extract every last ounce of performance out of both cards in the test.

Not to say one is on the money and the other isn't as, IMO it's likely one of those paid for spreads like Nv's been bankrolling for years-except AMD actually splashed the cash for once.

But hey, it's early days still, this time next year the 480 will have left the 1060 in it's dust and probably rubbing shoulders with my 1070 anyway like it always happens.

In terms of gaming the 5960x could be seen as the downgrade but either way both cpus are far more than either gpu needs I.e neither cpu will bottleneck such a low end card(s).

Soldato
In terms of gaming the 5960x could be seen as the downgrade but either way both cpus are far more than either gpu needs I.e neither cpu will bottleneck such a low end card(s).

It depends on what games are being tested. A lot of games that use a modern API will benefit from extra cores, although as consumers who are gamers a 6700k is still all you realistically need.

Caporegime
It depends on what games are being tested. A lot of games that use a modern API will benefit from extra cores, although as consumers who are gamers a 6700k is still all you realistically need.

So far it seems like only people with older CPUs and high end GPUs are seeing most of the "major" gains with modern APIs (I presume you mean dx 12 and vulkan) where as people with high end CPUs like the x99 and skylake aren't see "much" of an improvement. Of course, this could change as time goes on.

Last edited:
Soldato

Is BF1 one such game? In dx12 it performs poorly and the 6700k comes out on top albeit by 0.5fps! But still a downgrade ;). Different story in dx11 though where the more cores gives a small but nice boost.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2673-battlefield-1-cpu-benchmark-dx11-vs-dx12-i5-i7-fx/page-2

Back
Top Bottom