******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
Vanduul in arena commander are weaker than they will be in game and don't forget ship balancing hasn't really begun yet! Seriously like they don't consider anything of it complete, not a single ship lol
Pretty sure I'll be better off in the Anvil than the Aurora, though, regardless of what tweaks they do!!! :D

Soldato
Aaaaaand we're back to Rep fixing and relogging to try and avoid the dock-rape children at Kareah... Even had one waiting right outside the door of my ship when I finally managed to land... ******* !!!

Associate
We have spent the last few pages explaining this but if you don't want to at least read so you can understand why it is not "pay to win then fair enough.

Cya

The pay-to-win argument is fairly thin IMO.

Just look at Elite: Dangerous - nobody was able to purchase ships out of the game yet you still get noobs flying around in Anaconda's because they've grinded exploits and loopholes to earn billions of ingame credits.

What should be strived for is balance and hopefully we will have that for some of the reasons outlined in previous posts on this thread around fitting / loadouts. Also having the skill to pilot the ships and enough people to crew them.

Also to earn the ship in-game through your own hard work and determination will be a much bigger reward than someone who has pledged outside of the game for that ship. You can then be smug in the knowledge that you have earnt the ship and had the fun and engaging gameplay to achieve it.

Soldato
OP
Actually you got free ships during kickstarter on some pledge levels for elite. I have a modified cobra as a starter ship option.

I need to get back into elite soon. Miss head tracking in games!

Soldato
Just look at Elite: Dangerous - nobody was able to purchase ships out of the game yet you still get noobs flying around in Anaconda's because they've grinded exploits and loopholes to earn billions of ingame credits.
You get that in all games, though, wherever kids not in school have weeks of time to do this... but they've still had to grind some and those exploits can be fixed if they're causing problems, whereas buying and starting with 60+ ships as long as you have enough disposable income isn't really something you can address once it's gone through.

I do get why it's being allowed and from that perspective it makes sense. My only concern is that, like many things, getting something so readily like that means you don't appreciate the value of the asset... especially someone else's asset. This makes for pretty bad gameplay.

You can then be smug in the knowledge that you have earnt the ship and had the fun and engaging gameplay to achieve it.
Until someone who just buys twelve of them every month goes on a rampage and shreds all your hard work. Do people not get enough of that in their real life jobs??!! :p

Actually you got free ships during kickstarter on some pledge levels for elite. I have a modified cobra as a starter ship option.
I was gonna say - I got an Eagle (which is made of cheese and not exactly going to make me the scourge of the galaxy) and recently a mkIV Viper (again, not a concern for most people).
These and others are ships I'd take on by myself, 2 or 3 at a time and not even care to put any pips to the shields, they'd be over that quick.

Now imagine you started with everything from a 'Conda upward, going up against Sidewinder pilots.... Heck, you just bump into them while undocking and they're toast!!

Soldato
No with the current ships I am.

New concepts only now, I currently have 11 ships from the existing line up, I mulled over exactly what I wanted this sale and got it all.

Well, this lasted till 10pm last night when I managed to snag a Glaive off the trade sub.

I'm not normally this bad when it comes to spending money, but we've just sold one of our houses so I've got some....... spare cash.

Soldato
OP
^^ Sad thing is the way the exchange rate + taxes are going it's cheaper for people starting off for buy a starter pack on the grey market and throw a $5 pledge down to get backer status.

Grey market $55 Aurora 3 month insurance (SQ42+SC) + $5 skin on RSI site ($6 inc tax) = $61

Versus buying the identical thing minus the skin on the RSI site = $72

Exchange rates are more or less identical in both cases presently.

Soldato
OP
No doubt some wont' like it, don't know anyone who's tried it who didn't think it was worth doing though to be honest. Although focus has been on Star Marine for obvious reasons :D

Soldato
No doubt some wont' like it, don't know anyone who's tried it who didn't think it was worth doing though to be honest. Although focus has been on Star Marine for obvious reasons :D

Yeah, i am hoping that i will find a lot less jousting happens as that can really be an issue, especially in arena commander on the last wave when all the bosses just ram you. (even though it's lore due to the Vanduul blade obsession) But i do find it detracts from the experience in this current build as they can be impossible to dodge effectively without having them shooting you in the rear.

I don't mind if the Vanduul continue to joust i just hope the flight changes make it more of a intuitive motion rather than just accidentally crashing into you during a joust.

I feel really sorry for anyone who was racing as their main thing in the game as they are going to be hit the hardest with the flight changes i think.

But as ive said im looking forward to 3.0 a lot... i hope they don't remove the atmospheric entry part of the planetary system just let us seamlessly fly down and not have to use a loading screen of some sort. Can't help but feel it's a monumental task to get it running for us in the mini PU, though i do have faith in the team :D. Can't wait to see the strip club i mean my connie burning in the atmosphere.

EDIT : I don't like it but i may need to grey market a dragonfly.

Last edited:
Associate
what are the flight model changes?

They fly/handle the same, but they're reducing the speeds by a fair bit, slowing the regular (combat) flight down so that its easier to do combat that is less relateable to jousting, and more akin to dogfighting. Right now theres too much fly past target, spin on axis and face oppenent, fly at them to re-acquire target, shoot and fly past target... Its not particularly fun, im not into combat but i cant imagine those who are would see it as ideal.
I think they're also removing the 3rd of the 4 flight/speed modes (precision, combat, cruise, and quantum), with the fast-but-less-manoeuvrable cruise mode being replaced with the afterburner being more prominent.

I dont know about others, but ive killed myself so many times by flying into huge objects because i've switch gears and because throttle % determines whether you go up (cruise) or down (precision), its very easy to approach somewhere and with the intent of dropping down a gear and rolling up to the landing zone, you end up at 60% cruise speed when in your head you're expecting it to drop to a slow-but-not-crawling precision mode speed.

I've done that with both HOTAS and KB+M, though IMO it'd be easier to forget fwd/back arent binary inputs, its a virtual throttle slider like the HOTAS has.

Also, on the earlier P2W stuff...
- Player ability is likely to play as much of a role in the game as what ship they own, possibly even more significant away from combat if something like mining requires understanding, experience, and a general knack for it.
- Knowing how to correctly manage the ship will be significant, things like effective load-outs and power management will be huge.
- Bigger & more expensive doesnt mean its better at the job. Most ships fit specific niche roles, even haulers. Bigger & better also makes you more of a popular target, too.
- Players will be ~10% of the characters in the universe, so theres plenty of NPCs with bigger, more expensive ships than us too. At best it could be argued some players have a head start over others, but if we're dwarfed by NPCs with a wide array of ships too, and they'll have huge ships too and be our competition too, other players are fairly insignificant, worry about the NPCs!

Any advantage a player can gain by giving up money is still going to be put in their place by organised players, and by people who happen to be very good at specific roles.
It also cant bypass things like building up a reputation in order to get the most out of a perceived advantage. You wont be able to turn up at a loading bay with the largest hauler and fill it up with goods, because A) you'll have no money to buy those goods and fill such a large ship, and B) because they dont know you, you have no/limited rep and wont trust you when there are trusted NPCs capable of doing what you want to do. So reputation cant be bought, it'll take time to establish that. Then you've got people with plenty of free time to play the game vs people with busy lives and a handful of hours a week...
So assuming you're wealthy, have more free time than others, are an amazing player and have a load of equally amazing friends who'll all help you while you
build up a reputation... at that point you probably have an unfair advantage over other players and just might have an advantage over NPCs too, by skill rather than money.
Simply spending money doesnt negate all those other factors, it can only bypass the initial income being spent on something other than a better ship, you're still going to have to go through a lot of the progression, whether its fixed like reputation limiting access to missions/jobs, or simply learning things from trying stuff & from experience.

For all the advantage money can offer, having more free time is a bigger advantage, and NPCs will have one over on all of us there too :D

Back
Top Bottom