Raceroom Experience

Soldato
Raceroom Racing Experience

Any of you have any experience with this title?

How does it compare with the other PC Sims out here?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want a decent sim: Rfactor, Rfactor 2, GT Legends are the main ones I would recommend. Plenty of content and all are moddable, definitely Rfactors.

Soldato
its rubbish dont bother.
It used to be back when it first came out.

It's really quite good now, though. Physics are full sim and more or less on par with the other headline PC sims. The sound design *blows away* everything else out there right now. Everything. This alone really makes it worthwhile to at least give it a try. AI is pretty decent and highly competitive if you want it to be. There's a pretty good amount of content though buying piecemeal isn't really my ideal way of playing a game. They often have some good sales going on, though. Multiplayer works quite well. UI is way better than it used to be. And it just has a lot of nice quality-of-life features that make it a pleasurable experience to sit down with.

I think it's absolutely worth playing. It does some things better than others out there, and while it's not perfect, no sim is.

Soldato
OP
I've just looked up details of Raceroom. And I'm not sure how I feel about it being a "free" to play title.

So I think I will give that a miss.

If you want a decent sim: Rfactor, Rfactor 2, GT Legends are the main ones I would recommend. Plenty of content and all are moddable, definitely Rfactors.

Will look those up now.

Have recently started AC. Decent game. However, the AI is pretty brutal lol

Soldato
its rubbish dont bother.

Other than it having THE Best Sounds in any Racing Game and having THE Best Wheel FFB 'Out of the Box' with absolutely no tweaks, great graphics which run super smoothly, decent physics, decent online racing, being FREE and cheap (Wait for Sales) for add-ons. Yeah, it's pretty rubbish. (The UI is a bit meh, I'll give you that.)

Soldato
I've just looked up details of Raceroom. And I'm not sure how I feel about it being a "free" to play title.

So I think I will give that a miss.
I understand your reticence with the 'F2P' label, but seriously, it's just a business model, not an insidious method of shoehorning microtransactions in. It's more like iRacing in that you pick what you want, except the prices are a lot better.

You can also treat it as a licensed championship sort of game and buy the DTM or GT Masters packages if you dont want to buy anything piecemeal. This is probably the best way to play it, in my opinion. You get all the cars, all the tracks, and even the features and rulesets of the championships.

Either way man, it's free to try and I definitely recommend you at least do that because it might be a lot better than you're expecting.

Will look those up now.

Have recently started AC. Decent game. However, the AI is pretty brutal lol
Dont bother with rFactor or GT Legends. I dont know why anybody would still be recommending those as they've been thoroughly surpassed in just about every way by now. Only thing I can think of is if you've got a dusty old PC and cant run anything newer.

Assetto Corsa is great and is probably my favorite sim to drive in. But it's not a great 'game'. They still dont even have pitstops in single player, you're limited to 20-30 minute races, the AI is not very good, career mode is inconsistent, etc. But it does have amazing physics and FFB along with a great modding scene.

Associate
I took the plunge on Raceroom and purchased a few of the packs since they are frequently on sale. I have to say, the business model is not great, I would much rather Simbin had used a conventional business model, where you purchase a few tracks and cars in one go, rather than micro transactions.

I was looking for a new sim and do not have the time commitment to invest in iRacing. Furthermore, I am huge fan of Simbin and you can race off line, whereas Assetto Corsa to me, is more suited to hotlapping.

It is expensive, and the bloody currency model is rubbish, its only when you checkout that you see how much its going to cost? I have spent about £100+ to obtain all the tracks and 85% of the car models.

The physics are pretty good, if you are familiar with Simbin's previous titles - its very similar. The graphics look good (not cutting edge as per Project Cars or Assetto).

My biggest bugbear, Simbin churn out all the new models but fail to address basics such as a decent damage model!? I find this which is really annoying and despite being able to race the AI, it certainly takes away from the immersion factor! On the whole I agree with Doofer, it is a great game, my only slight remorse is that If I had my time again, not sure I would pay the same amount again.

Game Stockcar is good fun. When I purchased I was of the impression that most of the tracks are obscure Brazillian tracks? This is not quite true since there are familiar F1 tracks included only the names are not used for licencing reasons.

Soldato
Wasn't aware of that time limit.

Isn't there anything out there that offers a decent balance?
Just to be clear, that limit is only for offline racing against AI. Online races can be a good deal longer.

Unfortunately, there is no real 'ideal' sim right now. There's lots of different ones that all have their strengths and weaknesses but no one title that I think can be called 'better' than the others overall. Just a matter of preference depending on what your priorities are.

Project Cars is probably the closest to providing the most complete package, though its AI is quite aggressive(which can be frustrating) and isn't competitive enough for more skilled drivers. Also no mods.

Game Stock Car Extreme is one that's very good and doesn't get the attention it deserves. Does most everything well, but it's not quite up to par with some of the other newer games graphically. Multiplayer population isn't all that great, either.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I see.

I do have project cars. However, that on the PS4 and there's no way I'm reconnecting my thrustmaster back to that thing (PC had the wheel spinning like crazy on the PS4).

I've decided to Gove race room a try. Downloading now.

Soldato
OP
As mentioned I downloaded the title yesterday. Done a few laps in one of the free cars. And thought it seemed okay. It also looked pretty good on my PC too.

I also decided to purchase the 2015 DTM Experience Pack. Something I hope I'll enjoy.

Associate
Because some people still like and play Rfactor and GT Legends. The modding community and servers are still active.

Yes they're old but still good.

this. and the fact they can be had for less than £1 each.

In fact ive just reinstalled GT Legends on my system and having a lot of fun with it.

Theres been a fantastic modding scene supporting the game for about 10 years now. i use the bierbude community auto installer which adds about 700 tracks and about 100 new cars and its such a blast driving car and track combos you just cant get on other sims even when modded.

I have pretty much every racing sim released in the last 10-12 years and i still play both GT legends and Rfactor on a regular basis.

Soldato
R3E is much better now than when first released IMO, I was lucky enough to pull the trigger on the Black Friday 2015 deal, that unlocked everything released until that point.:)

Soldato
It used to be back when it first came out.

It's really quite good now, though. Physics are full sim and more or less on par with the other headline PC sims. The sound design *blows away* everything else out there right now. Everything. This alone really makes it worthwhile to at least give it a try. AI is pretty decent and highly competitive if you want it to be. There's a pretty good amount of content though buying piecemeal isn't really my ideal way of playing a game. They often have some good sales going on, though. Multiplayer works quite well. UI is way better than it used to be. And it just has a lot of nice quality-of-life features that make it a pleasurable experience to sit down with.

I think it's absolutely worth playing. It does some things better than others out there, and while it's not perfect, no sim is.

Have the agree with you Seanspeed it really is rather good now the game plays beautifully with my T300 RS and like you say the sound is amazing much better than the other titles out there :)

Nürburgring-Nordschleife should be out pretty soon so cant wait to have a blast around there:D

Soldato
When did you last play this?

I've been hooked since loading it up.
It really did used to be rubbish back when it first came out. The physics were a *lot* more arcade-y, the UI was a travesty to mankind and the quality of the content wasn't nearly as good.

They've had one hell of a turnaround, but I think a lot of people understandably had a pretty bad first impression.

Good choice on the 2015 DTM pack, too.

Back
Top Bottom