• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel in talks to license AMD GPU patents??

Soldato
OP
Probably aimed at forcing a more favourable deal from nVidia.

People forget the only reason Intel went with the deal was that is was as a result of litigation between the two companies:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4122/intel-settles-with-nvidia-more-money-fewer-problems-no-x86

Intel was forced into that deal as a result of all the hullaboo about Nvidia being locked out of the Intel chipset market and so on.

Now,that the settlement is now coming to an end,there is really no reason for Intel to bother paying Nvidia the money,when they can get a cash strapped AMD to probably license the same technology for less money.

Kinda leaps off the page, doesn't it?

Not really if you bothered to read the amount of vitriol exchanged between them during that time.

Nvidia even made a dedicated website with cartoons mocking Intel.

Edit!!

Here is a mention of it:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-mocks-intel-with-cartoons.html

Despite the problems Intel and AMD have had with each other,they have had far more sucessful licensing agreements between them over the last 30 years.

If that wasn't the case,AMD would not be allowed to make any X86 CPUs or Intel to use the 64 bit extensions AMD made either.

Intel would probably rather work with AMD,since they have more leverage over them than Nvidia.

Last edited:
Soldato
so what does this all mean? Will the Intel igpu's will be better with full DX12 hardware support? Could they rival AMD APU performance? Or have they realised AMD VR support will be better.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
so what does this all mean? Will the Intel igpu's will be better with full DX12 hardware support? Could they rival AMD APU performance? Or have they realised AMD VR support will be better.

I expect AMD and Nvidia have IP that Intel would need to license to do certain things if they want to make a basic IGP - some of it might be covered by FRAND and others not.

If they were going to license tech at a larger level,it might be more the case of what AMD might also get in return(not sure if the X86 license AMD has from Intel is perpetual or not).

Regarding AMD APU performance,Intel is fast catching up! :( AMD being stuck on old nodes and not being able to address bandwidth deficiencies is not helping! :(

bru

bru

Soldato
Interesting.

I suppose if the currant agreement ends in Q1 2017 then they have to talk to the GPU guys to get an new agreement, as they want to continue to make integrated GPU's, it stands to reason they would talk to both of them and not just NVidia. Quite possible that they could get a better deal from AMD, but would that mean a fundamental change to their IGPU's...no idea.

Mobster
Soldato
What this means is that if AMD jump into bed with them, is that AMD will earn a few million bux a year extra, NVidia will lose a few million bux, no-one will lose any sleep over it and the world will still keep turning.

Man of Honour
People forget the only reason Intel went with the deal was that is was as a result of litigation between the two companies:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4122/intel-settles-with-nvidia-more-money-fewer-problems-no-x86

Intel was forced into that deal as a result of all the hullaboo about Nvidia being locked out of the Intel chipset market and so on.

Now,that the settlement is now coming to an end,there is really no reason for Intel to bother paying Nvidia the money,when they can get a cash strapped AMD to probably license the same technology for less money.

There will be a certain amount of effort and reworking required to change between them amongst other factors - not saying they won't go with AMD but it also gives them leverage against nVidia if/when it comes to renegotiating.

Caporegime

Not really if you bothered to read the amount of vitriol exchanged between them during that time.

Nvidia even made a dedicated website with cartoons mocking Intel.

Edit!!

Here is a mention of it:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-mocks-intel-with-cartoons.html

Despite the problems Intel and AMD have had with each other,they have had far more sucessful licensing agreements between them over the last 30 years.

If that wasn't the case,AMD would not be allowed to make any X86 CPUs or Intel to use the 64 bit extensions AMD made either.

Intel would probably rather work with AMD,since they have more leverage over them than Nvidia.

I bet Nvidia are begging Intel now....

bru

bru

Soldato
Is it a case of Intel need the NVidia/AMD whereas AMD/NVidia don't need intel, as far as the patents are concerned?

What I mean is, if Intel do not get a new agreement, does that mean that will not be able to make integrated GPU's. whereas if AMD or NVidia don't give anew agreement they don't actually lose anything. Is this correct ?

Caporegime
Is it a case of Intel need the NVidia/AMD whereas AMD/NVidia don't need intel, as far as the patents are concerned?

What I mean is, if Intel do not get a new agreement, does that mean that will not be able to make integrated GPU's. whereas if AMD or NVidia don't give anew agreement they don't actually lose anything. Is this correct ?

Well, Nvidia once claimed they invented the modern GPU, programmable shaders and such.... i think it was.
Nvidia even tried to sue Samsung for IP infringement, which failed.
As a result the precedent is now set; Nvidia did in-fact not invent the modern GPU, so anyone can make a programmable GPU as long as they don't use IP that actually is legally owned by AMD and Nvidia.

So it depends, i think AMD and Nvidia between them own everything else that makes up a GPU of todays standards, for example AMD have IP for HBM Interposer's, Nvidia may have their own equivalent or simply licence AMD's.

In theory Intel could go it alone and make their own GPU's, but to make competitive ones they may need AMD or Nvidia or both.

My question would be, do AMD licence anything from Nvidia? or the other way round.... or do they have any cross licensing deals, like Intel and AMD have, RE: X86 / AMD64

As far as i'm aware Intel paid AMD nothing for the GPU's they did have.

bru

bru

Soldato
I suppose that is the problem, we just don't know who licences what from whom.

I sounds reasonable that Intel need to licence something from either NVidia or AMD, or they wouldn't be in talks for when they currant deal with NVidia ends, and this thread would exist. :)

Caporegime
It must be a bit of a conundrum for Intel if they need AMD / Nvidia to make a product that competes with AMD / Nvidia....
Look at AMD and X86 performance on Bulldozer / Vishera, AMD wanted to do it a bit differently and as a result that x86 performance suffered.
Zen, which is rumoured to have pretty much identical performance to Intel also looks architecturally like an Intel clone.
But, AMD could not function without Intel's IP and Intel could not function without AMD's IP.

Associate

Intel have been making GPU's for a very long time and will have a healthy amount of their own IP that will undoubtedly already be under cross licensing deals. So lets shoot down those silly fantasies that AMD/NV/The Easter Bunny/whoever could cause Intel to have to stop making chips, they got boring and tedious in the last 17 X to buy AMD threads.

Intel could merrily carry on doing exactly what they are doing now, as the agreement with Nvidia allows for the use of the patents until they expire. This must be about something else.

http://investor.nvidia.com/secfiling.cfm?filingid=1193125-11-5134&cik=1045810
The term of the patent cross license agreement continues until the expiration of the last to expire of the licensed patents, unless earlier terminated. NVIDIA may terminate the patent cross license agreement if Intel fails to make the required payments under the patent cross license agreement and fails to cure such non-payment within 60 days. In addition, the patent cross license agreement may be terminated in whole or in part under certain circumstances with respect to a party, if such party declares bankruptcy or undergoes a change of control.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, Nvidia once claimed they invented the modern GPU, programmable shaders and such.... i think it was.
Nvidia even tried to sue Samsung for IP infringement, which failed.
As a result the precedent is now set; Nvidia did in-fact not invent the modern GPU, so anyone can make a programmable GPU as long as they don't use IP that actually is legally owned by AMD and Nvidia.

So it depends, i think AMD and Nvidia between them own everything else that makes up a GPU of todays standards, for example AMD have IP for HBM Interposer's, Nvidia may have their own equivalent or simply licence AMD's.

In theory Intel could go it alone and make their own GPU's, but to make competitive ones they may need AMD or Nvidia or both.

My question would be, do AMD licence anything from Nvidia? or the other way round.... or do they have any cross licensing deals, like Intel and AMD have, RE: X86 / AMD64

As far as i'm aware Intel paid AMD nothing for the GPU's they did have.

AMD and Nvidia just have a MAD type agreement, they each have so many graphics/GPU related parents that they almost certainly are both guilty of infringing that they just leave each other alone.

Intel don't have anywhere near the IP so have to license form one or the other.

Caporegime
Makes sense ^^^^

Intel have been making GPU's for a very long time and will have a healthy amount of their own IP that will undoubtedly already be under cross licensing deals. So lets shoot down those silly fantasies that AMD/NV/The Easter Bunny/whoever could cause Intel to have to stop making chips, they got boring and tedious in the last 17 X to buy AMD threads.

Intel could merrily carry on doing exactly what they are doing now, as the agreement with Nvidia allows for the use of the patents until they expire. This must be about something else.

http://investor.nvidia.com/secfiling.cfm?filingid=1193125-11-5134&cik=1045810

Apparently those licences run out in Jan 2017, if Intel are not talking to someone about GPU IP now they ought to be....

Unless that is they plan on going it alone in little over half a year.

Back
Top Bottom