• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Google to use AMD for AI, market value surge.

Caporegime
AMD: AI Efforts Get Boost From Google

• Google will use AMD’s GPUs in its datacenters to accelerate its cloud offering integrated with deep learning.

MKM Partners believes that artificial intelligence (AI) is a potential $15 billion market opportunity by 2025. However, it also believes that AMD is too resource-constrained to fully address the opportunity.

Meanwhile, AMD has announced that it is entering the world of AI with Alphabet's Google will deploy AMD's GPUs in its datacenters. Raja Koduri, senior vice president and chief architect of AMD's Radeon Technologies Group, said:

Google is building up its GPU-based infrastructure, and they want to ensure they offer AMD's architecture. Nobody has heard what AMD is doing in deep learning. This is a major first step for us.
More good news for AMD, Deep Learning / AI is a growing market and with Google using AMD's hardware its a strong foot in the door.

As a result AMD market value experienced another surge today.

Up to $8.50 now, its a good strong showing.

gedrf.jpg

09/12/16

AMD share price just shot past $10 at the news that Intel will be using AMD's GPU IP for their next gen integrated graphics.

So much awesomeness right now....

gdfgh.jpg

02/02/17

Last edited:
Caporegime
Good news. We desperately need some competition. 1070 upwards shows a glimpse of a world without AMD and i don't like it (price wise).

Soldato
I think this is mostly to do with the open source nature of AMD.

The good thing about AMD is companies that endorse more open source standards can use AMD as most of their technology is based on open source standards and technology.

That's not to say that Nvidia is any worse or that proprietary technology cant be better, it just a company like Google can take it's open source software and accelerate it on AMD's hardware (which has good support for open source standards) and even write their own code without the need to worry too much about any proprietary hardware issues.

Cost was obviously a factor as well.

Soldato
Great news however I am a bit concerned that AMD sees all these successes outside of the dedicated consumer GPU market and just thinks to close that, less successful arm of the business.

Associate
Great news however I am a bit concerned that AMD sees all these successes outside of the dedicated consumer GPU market and just thinks to close that, less successful arm of the business.

Consumer GPUs are still a pretty big business, AMD won't want to just leave that cash on the table. Especially if there's an R&D synergy between the 2 technology streams, which there clearly should be. Leverage your datacentre (or whatever) R&D into your GPUs and it's more profitable.

Soldato
I wish that I had bought some shares last year when the share price was well under $2. I was thinking of doing so, but I got scared as I thought the risk was too high. :mad:

Soldato
I got some at $4 a share.
It's always a risk.

True. Most people were so negative about AMD's chances, though. It seemed more likely they would go bust than get to this point. In the back of my mind I knew this surge was more than possible though and told people so, including a friend who is a fellow hardware enthusiast (not his fault of course, just a pity considering how it has turned out). Unfortunately, no-one would listen to me and they tried to dissuade me when I talked to them about it.

Live and learn I suppose.:)

Great news for AMD and those who've invested, I'm very pleased. Now I hope Zen and Vega are great successes and then we can have some real progress on the CPU and GPU fronts.

Associate
AMD's cards have always been better suited to compute applications (e.g. that's why miners prefer them). Ironically NVidia has a near-monopoly there as well with CUDA.

The problem? As always with AMD, they didn't pay attention to the software side of things. They always thought that all they need is good hardware, and that software is not their problem. This came back to bite them in both DirectX 11 and now in this fast-growing sector of AI/machine-learning and cloud computation.

Fortunately it seems like they've learned their lesson and are improving both Crimson and are open sourcing a full compute suite via ROCm and GPUopen.

Basically, Bill Gates hit the nail on the hammer when he said it's all about developer mindshare and the rest follows... If AMD try to get that, they'll succeed in the cloud computing space.

EDIT: obligatory Ballmer video when talking about developer mindhare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I14b-C67EXY

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom