• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080 any recommendations

Soldato
They all perform in a similiar fashion. Choose one with a warranty length that suits for the price. Lots of people going for Zotac's based on long warranty but you may want to check which cards have a uk or ocuk based rma process for ease of use....

Some of the more expensive cards have better coolers inc fans that completely power down at low load which is a useful feature for some people.

Associate
Associate
OP
Cheers chaps,

Confirms what i thought really, I ruled out the strix based on price..if i was spending £900 i would wait for the ti. Wanted to budget for around £600 and had my eye on the Gigabyte G1 Gaming as my current pair of 780's are both gigabyte and have performed flawlessly. Hopefully the 1080 will be ok for a couple of years and be a good match for my 3440x1440 monitor.

Soldato
Cheers chaps,

Confirms what i thought really, I ruled out the strix based on price..if i was spending £900 i would wait for the ti. Wanted to budget for around £600 and had my eye on the Gigabyte G1 Gaming as my current pair of 780's are both gigabyte and have performed flawlessly. Hopefully the 1080 will be ok for a couple of years and be a good match for my 3440x1440 monitor.

Ive got the turbo card coming through from them, cheaper option but 100 time better cooled then the FE or other stock versions. Just to play a fine balance with fan tuning :D might slap on some better TIM aswell.
wishing I'd got another when they were going for £500 haha. wife would have killed me!

as a heads up, the Windforce and G1 have the same cooler :) just difference in price with overclock :) might get to your desired pricing

Associate
OP
Cheers for that :)

Card arrived earlier, properly smashes everything i have thrown at it.....bf1 on ultra on 3440x 1440p is a sight to behold.

Sadly it is emitting a fairly noticable level of coil whine, first card i have had that is affected by whine..am going to try for a replacement and see if i get luckier.

Soldato
Cheers for that :)

Card arrived earlier, properly smashes everything i have thrown at it.....bf1 on ultra on 3440x 1440p is a sight to behold.

Sadly it is emitting a fairly noticable level of coil whine, first card i have had that is affected by whine..am going to try for a replacement and see if i get luckier.

HOPE RMA goes smoothly, if not let me know and will pass on to a Gigabyte member for you to help out :)

do you have a spare PSU you can pop in or try in a friends PC? Just to rule out PSU. Hate to go through RMAs when it could be the small chance its that.

Has no coil whine on a client ASUS Dual, flashed new BIOS and boom! managed to load stock back and still had the whine!

Associate
OP
HOPE RMA goes smoothly, if not let me know and will pass on to a Gigabyte member for you to help out :)

do you have a spare PSU you can pop in or try in a friends PC? Just to rule out PSU. Hate to go through RMAs when it could be the small chance its that.

Has no coil whine on a client ASUS Dual, flashed new BIOS and boom! managed to load stock back and still had the whine!

Thanks, it's a weird one..took out both 780's and installed the 1080, noticed the whine as soon as it was under load...put one of my 780's back in have noticed it is also now producing coil whine and never did before. Using an ocz gold 1000 watt psu which has been flawless up to now. Seems unusual. Will try the replacement 1080 today and hang on to which ever clocks highest.

Associate
OP
Am stunned, the replacement gtx 1080 has just arrived..noticed the gigabyte box looked a bit scuffed. Open it up and there is a card lying in there upside down..flip it over and there is a gtx 260 maxcore 55 inside.

EE520DAB48C07DB0ADFFF0CA283DAB8DA6366BE319F52769D6pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

I should mention, this was not bought at overclockers

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Not fuming but not impressed, have already been on the phone and apparantly it must have been a "packaging mixup". That is some mixup considering how old the gtx 260 is. Mind boggling. Fingers crossed for a genuine replacement to put an end to the madness.

Back
Top Bottom