External Hard drive Power requirements

Soldato
I have 3 external hard drives (2x 3TB and 1x 5TB) which means 3 mains plugs! :eek:

I'm wanting to put them all on the same power source (they have to be external) to free up mains plug and make it neater. Been looking at 12V DC power splitters (3 way) so I can plug all 3 into the same mains plug.

The mains plug is Output: 12v 1.5amp, Input: 100-240v.

My question, is how much power do 3.5 external hard drives draw? can I run three on the same plug?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't really help
Google gives many different answers on what 10 watts is in V or Amps, with no clear proper answer :/

Soldato
OP
Okay just to be clear I would need something like a 12v 5amp power brick like a laptop charger?
So 5amp would give 60 watts? based on the both formula enough to run 6 drives?
I do have a 19v 3.4a laptop charger, guessing that would blow the electrics on the hard drives as the voltage is too high?

Thanks for reply by the way.

Last edited:
Associate
Lets not forget that '8-10 watts' sounds a lot like an active power draw, spin up power for a hard drive can easily be in the 20-30 watts region. You'll need a beefy power brick if you forsee a situation of needing them to all come online at the same time.

If it was me I'd be look at 12v 6A as bare minimum to run three 3.5" drives.

Soldato
OP
Lets not forget that '8-10 watts' sounds a lot like an active power draw, spin up power for a hard drive can easily be in the 20-30 watts region. You'll need a beefy power brick if you forsee a situation of needing them to all come online at the same time.

If it was me I'd be look at 12v 6A as bare minimum to run three 3.5" drives.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-1...PTER-Transformer-LED-Strip-CCTV-/121288057046

?

And yes sometimes they will all need to come on at same time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom