• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Graphics Card

Associate
Hello

So I need to get a new graphics card.

Current system is below and has served me well so it's just the card I'm looking to update, due to it failing :(

System :-
Antec ISK 600 shuttle case (full size 500 watt psu)*.
Intel i7-4790,
Cpu 3.6,
8 gig of ram,
120 gig SSD
1 tb hard drive
windows 8,1

*Size of the card is 26 cm's length wise.

The graphics card that went was an msi 770 geforce. Quite happy with it.

Budget is £300 or so and would prefer to stick with Nvidia.

Thanks!

Soldato
Hello

So I need to get a new graphics card.

Current system is below and has served me well so it's just the card I'm looking to update, due to it failing :(

System :-
Antec ISK 600 shuttle case (full size 500 watt psu)*.
Intel i7-4790,
Cpu 3.6,
8 gig of ram,
120 gig SSD
1 tb hard drive
windows 8,1

*Size of the card is 26 cm's length wise.

The graphics card that went was an msi 770 geforce. Quite happy with it.

Budget is £300 or so and would prefer to stick with Nvidia.

Thanks!

I would say RX480 is better value for money than the 1060 6GB in that price range. You will be better to gather some more and buy a 1070

Associate
OP
1060, or find the extra for the 1070

1060 would be a lot better than the 770, so if you were happy with that, then I guess the 1060 would be more than fine

Thanks. Any specific models to look at? It's been a long while since I've been interested in any graphics card (Ti 4200 I think!) and bought this one pre-built. £400 would be the top end of the budget but would be willing to pay if it was worth it.

I would say RX480 is better value for money than the 1060 6GB in that price range. You will be better to gather some more and buy a 1070

Similar question really. Not familiar with AMD at all so any models to look at?

Just had a very quick session on Elite using the onboard graphics and to say it wasn't pretty is an understatement! Would like to get this ordered fairly quickly so any information gratefully received!

Thanks

Thanks

Soldato
Thanks. Any specific models to look at? It's been a long while since I've been interested in any graphics card (Ti 4200 I think!) and bought this one pre-built. £400 would be the top end of the budget but would be willing to pay if it was worth it.

Similar question really. Not familiar with AMD at all so any models to look at?

Just had a very quick session on Elite using the onboard graphics and to say it wasn't pretty is an understatement! Would like to get this ordered fairly quickly so any information gratefully received!

Thanks

Thanks

Checkout the XFX models, I've got the £250 one, GTR version, with backplate.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
RX480 is superb card and not that different than the 1060 in DX11 at this moment (with all the new drivers). While in DX12 & Vulcan much faster.

So cheap and cheerful, MSI 480 8GB GamingX for £212 with Boost Cloc @ 1316MHz,

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18758810
That deal has now expired unfortunately. The cheapest 1070 I've found is either £349 for a Palit game rock or around £335 for a mini gigabyte card.

For 480s I also recommend the XFX GTR for £249.99.

For a 1060 there are some decent KF2A2 cards for £249.99 as well. Although, recent driver updates make the 480 a better card than the 1060 in most cases (as its weaknesses have now been addressed to now not be behind the 1060 in its lagging areas)

Soldato
Game rock will be quiet but 2 year warranty and Vendor for RMA.
Gigabyte will be a little on the louder side as all 3 key components are cooled under a much smaller heatsink but 3 years warranty and RMA is UK based.

if your going Palit or Zotac, grab from OCUK or a vendor with the same Customer service

Back
Top Bottom