• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Faulty GPU OR driver problem

dal

dal

Associate
Hi all, Im at my witts end here, yesterday I got a Driver stopped responding message & has recovered, then my Pc freezes. It happened a few times within 5 minutes & now when I boot up my PC the mobo splash screen looks ok & the display looks ok where it says loading windows for about 10 seconds but then the display shows lots of white lines on it & when I get to the login screen the display is 640 x 480 (something like that). If i boot in safe mode it's the same. My GPU is a geforce GTX770.
The card is only 6 months old, it isn't clogged with dust & all the fans are running so it isn't a overheating problem.

Ok this is what Ive tried :

1. Downloaded & ran display driver unistaller.
2. Restart pc & download nvidia drivers from there website & chose clean install (& restarted again)

It's still the same. Also I have 2 monitors connected & only 1 monitor will display anything.

If I put my old HD5770 back in after a driver update the displays are fine.

I'm somewhat confused, if the GPU is faulty then surely on the windows loading screen that would be all messed up but it's clear, but on the other hand even a driver clean install wont solve the issue.

The only other thing I can try is to reformat windows & then try it, which seems like overkill but I'm running out of ideas.

Any help appreciated.

Associate
Lots of white lines on the screen is the sort of thing you can get when a card overheats or is clocked to high but as you say that isnt the case it could point to the GPU being on the way out, I'm not sure if a format will help but some of the more knowledgeable guys might be able to give you some more Ideas.

dal

dal

Associate
OP
I've come to the conclusion its the card and not a driver issue (no output from 2nd dvi port now) so I'm going to return it if I can, thing is I bought it from ebay & I get the impression the seller isnt going to be interested in refunding me, how would I go about getting a replacement if the seller doesnt respond (sorry i'm going a bit off topic now).

Back
Top Bottom