The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
Medal of Honour Allied Assault- 9/10

I'd never completed this before despite owning it for most of the past 15 years since release. I knew it was good but I didn't know it was this good, even now!

The gun mechanics lack aiming down sights, and it is all the better for it. A combination of fast running and gunning and organically taking cover without needing to superglue myself to a chest-high wall make it a very enjoyable game. The lack of regenerative health kept the pace up and I'd find myself running for that 50-point health kit before the sniper reloads instead of hiding in a corner.

Towards the end the enemy difficulty ramps up and starts entering the BS zone, with snipers seeing you through trees and before you can see them because of the draw distance. Some of the animations are a bit dodgy too; I'd shoot a bad guy in a particular way that he stumbles backwards, his gun flailing and shooting wildly to his side pointing away from me, and I'd still take every bullet! Towards the end I was very glad of quick save and quick load.

I didn't really pay any attention to the story. The missions seem to be fairly disconnected anyway with no real overarching plot except "Nazis be bad innit".

The graphics are obviously lacking. I played this on my retro XP PC with a 17" 4:3 monitor because I couldn't be bothered trying to get the widescreen hack to work.

However, the game has fantastic sound and this creates immersion and atmosphere much better than some modern games. I'd be sneaking through a bombed out French town, listening to the rain on the ground next to me, or the roof of the bombed out house I was genuinely / organically sheltering in (not because a checkpoint told me to do so), hearing the lightning and thunder, knowing there were snipers blessed with the aforementioned BS-o-vision ready to take me out in a few hits..

I'd be walking through a snowy forest, with snow falling lightly around me, listening to the gentle wind in the trees and a subtle, tense music score fade in and out, hearing wolves howl in the distance, knowing an MG42 nest could loom through the distance any any moment...

This last level is fantastic in general: Sneaking through an atmospheric, snowy forest for about 30 minutes, infiltrating a town and then a little more sneaking before stealing a disguise and going deep into the German bunker. I felt invested in the stealth knowing how much prep I had had to do. Then the disguise is blown and the game turns into frantic run and gun with the tension of the past hour released and the well designed underground bunker never making me backtrack. This game really gets juxtaposition.

I would like more of this!!

Last edited:
Associate
Dragon Age Inquisition: 10/10

Loved it. I played through DAO through on every difficulty with every variation - missed DA2, but really enjoyed this one. Great story, good gear and now waiting for the expansions to be on sale in Origin to play them through also.

Soldato
Finally got around to completing GTA V after getting to the final 2 missions about a 6 months ago + and then stop playing.

Really enjoyed it overall, really liked all 3 main characters, the storyline was good with some brilliant humour throughout - 9/10.

Associate
The Witcher 3 - 8/10 - Technically not completed because there's **** loads of side content to do, but I did go through the main story.

Beautiful world and combat is fun. Loved all the different characters, and if you want more of this world you can read the books!

Caporegime
Life is Strange:

+Great Characters
+Voice acting is superb
+Soundtrack really nice
+Story very good
+Nice art style
+You feel part of the game
+Some bits are very well put together

-Felt empty after finishing it, the game really drew me in.

One of the best games i've played in the past 5 years or so, 9.5/10

I think I played a different game from this reviewer.

Life is Strange is a glorified point and click mystery. It had the ability to teach some teenage girls a little about life and the potential consequences of their actions. I say teenage girls as I doubt there's too many others that could stomach the incessant tweeny, bitchy and angst ridden dialogue throughout it. Sadly, regardless of any of the soul searching and time spent deliberating over some tough choices throughout, the final episode simply tells you that non of it matters a jot in the big scheme of things.

3/10 (two of those being for the music).

Man of Honour
Pony Island

9/10

A game based around a possessed arcade machine. Full of in jokes around gaming. Short but the right length. It remained surprising and funny throughout, any longer and that may not have been the case. Clever and interesting. I highly recommend it.

Soldato
Everybodies gone to the rapture.

Graphics 9/10 Really pretty game, stunning in places
Atmosphere 8/10
Story 6/10

A walking simulator with an OK story and a feeling that you've been trapped in an episode of the Archers.

Soldato

Life is Strange is a glorified point and click mystery. It had the ability to teach some teenage girls a little about life and the potential consequences of their actions. I say teenage girls as I doubt there's too many others that could stomach the incessant tweeny, bitchy and angst ridden dialogue throughout it. Sadly, regardless of any of the soul searching and time spent deliberating over some tough choices throughout, the final episode simply tells you that non of it matters a jot in the big scheme of things.

Interesting... I just cannot bring myself to play it due to not wanting to be a teen girl. What is your favourite recent adventure game top 5? I'm dying to get into a good one.

Soldato

I can see how some people wouldn't like it due to mainly what you say but I enjoyed the TWD/Wolf Among Us games so liked LIS a lot too.

Caporegime
Interesting... I just cannot bring myself to play it due to not wanting to be a teen girl. What is your favourite recent adventure game top 5? I'm dying to get into a good one.

I can see how some people wouldn't like it due to mainly what you say but I enjoyed the TWD/Wolf Among Us games so liked LIS a lot too.

This was the first of this type of game for me (tell a lie, I played Firewatch which was very good indeed) so I don't have a top 5 at all, but I too have heard good things about The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us and indeed Tales from the Borderlands - all from Telltale games.

Last edited:
Associate
Quantum break (pc) 2/10

Plays smother on PC than Xbox but the game is very disappointing, story's a mess the live action pointless and combat doesn't use the cover system well at all.... couldn't wait to finish so I could uninstall it

Associate
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition 9/10

I rage uninstalled the game after 4 hours play. My brother told me it would keep nagging at me and sure enough it did. Fantastic game, currently working through the Scholar of the First Sin edition of the second.

Soldato

I really liked LiS. It was the well written (and reasonably well acted) characters and underlying arc of coming of age throughout the episodes that hooked me. Basically, I agree almost completely with this view on the game. (It's quicker than me writing it all out!)

Back
Top Bottom