Project GreenGasm

Permabanned
OP
Couldn't you fit a 360 in the front as well as what you chose in the roof?

No.

At least not unless it was super-thin... I don't know if they even make a rad thin enough for that.

You can position the mount at the top of the case or the bottom.

At the top, it would interfere with a 480mm rad... at the bottom it would interfere with a 560mm rad.

With a 360mm rad at the top... yes, you could fit a 360 or a 420 at the front... or with a 420 at the bottom, you could fit a 420/360 in the front.

But I thought the 480/560/280 combo would be better over 360/560/420 or 480/420/420 combo.

This choice wasn't on full-out cooling ability as the 560/420/360 combo would probably just edge it out... but more for aethetics as it was more important to me to fill the top and bottom with rads - where the front practically looks the same if you have 3 fans... whatever rad you have behind them.

Maybe *maybe* a 360/420 rad could fit in the front if it was 30mm thickness absolute maximum.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Yes, his videos where what gave me the idea for a Caselabs SMA8 given the amount of rads he was able to put in and the space available to do what I wanted :)

I like his vids...

Yea, I have been watching a number of his video's as I am about to start my first water cooled build at the moment in the Evolv case and its helped me understand whats needed. I'll probably start my build log at the end of the month.

What's made you choose the ML's over the Vardar fans at the front of the case?

However, ill be following this project look with interest.

Permabanned
OP
I was curious about the magnetic levitation construction of these fans... thought they might help with noise and they sure do seem quiet, especially the 140mm variants.

Plus I wanted white LEDs... especially for the front, top and side of the case... and I think the vardars only come without lighting.

Soldato
Is there a reason you didn't test with CPU, FPU, Cache and Sys Memory checked?

AIDA FPU should ideally be run on it's own. It's AVX2 routines can pull quite a bit of current through the CPU, especially when ran in conjunction with the other tests.

It's obviously better to run the CPU, cache and memory at the same time, although AIDA cache routines are great for isolating that sub system. So for pushing cache, I'd recommend testing with that, and also HCI Memtest for testing memory and cache at the interaction level.

Soldato
Looks awesome so far man. I wish I had your savings to play with!

Sorry if I missed it but did you buy your 6950x pre-binned? 4.5GHz seems to be quite a decent clock compared to some of the others I've seen.

Permabanned
OP
Looks awesome so far man. I wish I had your savings to play with!

Sorry if I missed it but did you buy your 6950x pre-binned? 4.5GHz seems to be quite a decent clock compared to some of the others I've seen.

Nope, just standard order... Looks like I won the silicon lottery as like you mention... They don't tend to clock this high, let alone with a relatively low voltage.

I've read reviewers struggling to hit 4.3 @ 1.4v

So rather happy with this cpu... Already had someone offer to buy it from me... But it's have to be a decent offer to snap this off me :)

Soldato
Nope, just standard order... Looks like I won the silicon lottery as like you mention... They don't tend to clock this high, let alone with a relatively low voltage.

I've read reviewers struggling to hit 4.3 @ 1.4v

So rather happy with this cpu... Already had someone offer to buy it from me... But it's have to be a decent offer to snap this off me :)

Nice :) As you say the others are struggling to reach 4.3GHz, 4.4 is the highest I have seen so far.

Just out of interest, what is the batch?

Permabanned
OP
if it is a retail with box then it should be on the box. Otherwise, the only way is to take the cpu cooler off. :)

I'll check that later then - it's retail, but the box is hiding somewhere in the basement and i'm not sure where as wifey took it down there.

Just been offered 400 Euro + a BNIB 6950X for my CPU... hehe.

I told him 500 and I'd think about it... any less and i'll keep it.

Although I probably wouldn't notice any real-world difference between 4.3-4.4 & 4.5GHz.

Soldato
Is that over on HWBot Crinkle?

Prob looking for a good chip to try under LN2. People are a bit mad when it comes to world record chasing, throwing hundreds sometimes thousands of pounds at something for 5 minutes of glory.

Permabanned
OP
Finished this at the weekend. Early stage though as one of the reservoirs was leaking so I have to rebuild the loop when the replacement arrives. Also plan to re-route a little bit of the tubing... going to go top GPU -> top radiator -> CPU -> res instead of the routing that's there at the moment.

Spec:
6950X @ 4.5GHz
32GB Corsair @ 3400MHz @ 13-13-13-32-1T
Asus Rampage Edition 10
2x Titan X Pascal
2x Monsoon MMRS Res
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 280
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2+ Xtreme 280 white
XSPC RX480 480 white
Dual-D5 EK PWM pump
EK Supremacy EVO CPU block
2x EK Titan XP blocks
Corsair RM1000i
Bitfenix Alchemy Green cables
10x Corsair ML140
5x Corsair ML120
Caselabs SMA8 Gunmetal
Bitspower Crystal Link tubing
Bitspower fittings
EK fittings

Also some UV cathodes to add (current ones broken in transit) and LED strip that runs off Asus Aura header.

Currently running 400GB Intel 750 + 512GB Samsung SM951 + 2x Sandisk Extreme 1TB + 2x Intel 730 512GB

Waiting on delivery of Intel 750 1.2TB, Samsung Evo 850 2TB and WD Black 6TB drive to add to the system but they won't be here until mid September. The 400GB Intel PCI-E SSD is then going in wifey's new WC build which will be based around Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX + HWL BI Nemesis GTX 280 + MSI XPower X99 + 6800k + GTX1060 or GTX1070.

Early piccies, will spend some more time with the camera when the final build is complete.

_H5A6829 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_H5A6842 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_H5A6843 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_H5A6848 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_H5A6851 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_H5A6867 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_H5A6871 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

_H5A6880 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Temporary update.

The top PCI-E slot on the Asus Rampage Ed 10 died... so I've nabbed wifey's motherboard for the time being.

My new motherboard should be delivered tomorrow... but I'm going to wait for my custom cables to arrive before I make the next change.

I ordered some custom cables from IceModz somewhere in northern Europe... didn't fancy re-sleeving things myself.

This sleeving design:
unnamed by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

This sleeving:
unnamed by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

Some other bits arrived in the mean time... finally have my 1.2TB Intel 750, also added a WD Red Pro 7200rpm 8TB drive, the replacement reservoir and uv cathodes are in place and the EVGA HB bridge too.

Also re-did the hard pipe to a design I'm happy with - the last one was a bit messy to me - this one I like the look of:

IMG_0372 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

IMG_0374 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

IMG_0375 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

IMG_0376 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

I'm getting much better temps on the CPU... I think possibly I didn't apply thermal paste properly last time... even if I did it the same way I normally do :/

I even took one of the 280 rads out of the loop to make cable management and tubing easier in the basement. Possible flow improvement, but it doesn't seem that much different and there were no kinks or anything before.

Either that or it's the change in the loop order... last time it was:

Pump -> 560 rad -> 280 rad -> 280 rad -> bottom gpu -> top gpu - cpu -> 480 rad -> res -> res -> pump

Now it's:

Pump -> 560 rad -> 280 rad -> bottom gpu -> top gpu -> 480 rad -> cpu -> res -> res -> pump

Easily knocked more than 10C off the CPU temps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom