SFF- Pretty Little Alumin

Soldato
OP
It was two rivets mate yes I just replaced them with bolts :)

Photo looks like youve used full blown 25mm fans and not slim nice ones?

nice to get away with standard thickness and have the screen hide it. Then again i'll be hopefully getting the window version .

on a side note, I think the Black-Blue Hybrid Build my finally be sold! should free up the cash for this build.
Also finally found Distributor for the MSI board at last :D
And Zotac 1060 Mini has touched down in the Fatherland :D 8 weeks and counting for the block

****just took a double look at the UMX1 & 3. Seems theres a bigger air gap in the 1 then the 3 =( Think i'll still add one 120mm where the 3.5" is***

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Zotac GTX 1060 Mini gets 3D scanned tomorrow :D

I know the AMP shares the same PCB but if anyone has a shot of the Gigabyte or EVGA versions that would be great! nice to see if this block and fit multiple cards.

Asked If they could provide any progress pictures to show off the process which would be cool to see.

Soldato
OP
The Mortar B150 has an M.2 slot for a nice, tidy, fast solution. Cost isn't an issue, right? :D

one will be going in, trying to keep low cost. Dont think i'll stick in an PM951 but maybe a SM951 instead of a PRO 950, samsung driver works for both but not the PM version. And the green PCB will be hidden.
But i'll only be a boot drive, so will keep the SSD cage. Will install a fan on the left side I think

so my hunting into 1060 itx boards has shown EVGA has a slight differ in design, plus they locate their ram chips in a bottom L pattern :(

evga
http://imgur.com/sR4IvQs

zotac
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph...lle-der-geforce-gtx-1060-im-test.html?start=9

just got word from Cooltek that the clearence from the top 140 mount to the edge of the mother board is 56mm. should be able to squeeze in a 30mm and standard fan in a push config

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Finally sold the Blue Hybrid so purchasing can begin!

White 550w Super flower Gold and Ballistix 16GB from here on Monday :)

Looking into either Samsung's SM951 or Intel 600p for the OS drive. 256GB, not fused this time around with going for the Pro 950 and keeps price down .

Needing recommendations for a good solid 140mm fan for the rad. Was going to look for the WingBoost 2 again , but since this rad is cooling to parts its gonna need more in it.
All black or black and white is the colour options I'm looking for
Was thinking of the Apache , but have als

Soldato
Doesn't the 951 have thermal throttling issues? Probably nothing that can't be solved/helped by sticking some self-adhesive VGA/memory heatsinks on it though.

I'm not much help with 140's but the Corsair SP140 seems to be nowhere near as good as the 120. Was also looking at the Apache - the Super Silent if I remember correctly - so would be interested to hear what you think of it if you go for one.

Soldato
OP
update from Alphacool

Will receive 3D Print pics end of the week I hope :D

May have to put this one on hold as it'll take a while to sort out Vendor for MSI and other gear :(

but, looking to press on with a UMX 1 version, will be using Asus B150I Aura and RX 470 Strix card with Bequiet PSU, Fans and Shadow Rock low profile Heatsink :)

Soldato
OP
@ALXAndy

Do you still have your UMX1?

Just seen the Strix RX 470 has a height of 12.9cm. I know the max CPU height is 13cm so im guessing this is going to be tight!

if your still have your case and case in, could you still me the clearance to the panel ?

Soldato
So this is a full-cover heatsink to go with their existing GFX cooler block then?

I want their 3D laser scanner! Soooo much easier than taking fifty million measurements and constructing in SketchUp only to find that you've screwed up one of the measurements and nothing fits.

Soldato
OP
yep, so if you've already go the GPX block you can just order the Heatsink :)

seems the reason its look like an AMD layout is... the fan header! normally always at the end of the board but its right next to the power plug!
might just be able to see in the top right of the pic... so because of that, the block is rotated 90. shame as this would clash with case that you on only just get an ITX card in :(

Soldato
I'm sure if someone was desperate enough they could chop the heatsink, spin the block and resolder the power connectors from the back....you'd need to be fairly desperate though!

Soldato
Bizarre. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Alphacool know what they're doing....it's just I'd have expected the block to be roughly centred over the chip. I guess space contraints stopped that. As long as it sits level and flush with the top of the die it ought to be fine...I'm just not sure how they're going to achieve that reliably. Some sort of shim?

Soldato
OP
Hard to show you without hotlink picture or rival products. But the block comes milled with a shim. This socket shape then fits into a universal bracket or onto these Heatsinks.
The area is rather large! and has been used for a while so chips were a lot bigger!
basically this way, you can own one block for god knows how many years and just buy new heatsinks designed for the card. Roughly half the price of getting a full block but if you get a full block every 1 or 2 years... costs add up, but then you got to weigh the transfer of heat from the sink to the block or having good airflow etc

there you go!

picture has the Uni mounting, but you can see the block fits into it, and will do the same with the heatsink made

also seems from the print , the fins have gotten closer together for more fins per block

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom