MasterCase5 MOD: Project TRON

Associate
OP
It's been a bad couple of weeks :(
Contracted Sepsis last week so was taken in to hospital, just in time they said.

I was really looking forward to maybe getting this build done in time for i58, but the chances are very low now,
I'm also still awaiting the GPU so that will hold me back.

The setbacks are not all bad though, this means I can spend a bit more time on the build and try something
that I was not going to attempt if the build was defiantly on track for completion in time for the show.

Had done some more paint work before my trip to hospital so I will upload them photos for you in the next update
along with some work I did yesterday.

I've also setup the components I have to check there all working as intended, so I'm happy to report the CPU, DDR, MB,
PSU and water pump are all running fine.

01_zpscamb2nv1.jpg

02_zpsxkxvzxha.jpg

The MB looks beautiful!
But the red will need to go and I plan to make a cover/covers for the MB.
I did get myself some white plexi, however I think I will now be using clear so the LEDs on the MB can still be seen,
if I paint most of the cover white and leave the parts covering the LEDs clear it should workout fine.

03_zpsioxqwjfo.jpg

Associate
Wow sorry to hear about that mate, hope your ok. The build is shaping up very nicely love that your using el wire, popular with Tron cos players. Watching eagerly, very interesting build. ;)

Best

Wulf

Associate
OP
Sepsis? Holy hell dude, hope you're on the mend :(
Thanks, yeah i'm feeling much better now :)
it was like man flu x4 lol

Wow sorry to hear about that mate, hope your ok. The build is shaping up very nicely love that your using el wire, popular with Tron cos players. Watching eagerly, very interesting build. ;)

Best

Wulf

Thanks mate, yeah Im feeling better now and just need some blood tests to confirm the meds worked :)
If I still had my motorbike I think Id be making a cos suite :D
Republic of Yorkshire lol, im gonna have to use that one :)
I'm in Huddersfield btw.

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Thanks mate

Associate
OP
Only needed to paint the edges here as all the other parts will be covered.

04_zpszcwn53xe.jpg

05_zpskkpowqzb.jpg

Most the panels with the 1st coat of black.

08_zpswemat6ic.jpg

09_zpsrdo8rhwe.jpg

A quick wet sand ready for the 2nd coat of black, this will help show any high spots and imperfections in the
base, you will notice most of the edges are high due to the case design and primer buildup.

10_zpsqk8iaq5u.jpg

11_zpsdpqz5k1y.jpg

2nd and final black base, this was also sanded after it was dry before adding 2x top coats that will need a week
to harden before I can sand and polish, I hate orange peal on paintwork so its a must :)
When complete I'm hoping the black will look like glass.

12_zpsuqhhonbf.jpg

13_zps6c6gpmqm.jpg

14_zpstavjbuh0.jpg

15_zps0vfiu1aa.jpg

16_zpsnkwtnzzp.jpg

17_zpse0nrsuaf.jpg

Associate
Thanks mate, yeah Im feeling better now and just need some blood tests to confirm the meds worked :)
If I still had my motorbike I think Id be making a cos suite :D
Republic of Yorkshire lol, im gonna have to use that one :)
I'm in Huddersfield btw.

I feel your pain mate, had to sell my V-Max cos wife says I've got be less mental now with having kids and all that lol. Not far from you just down the M62 near Leeds. ;)

Best

Wulf

Associate
OP
I feel your pain mate, had to sell my V-Max cos wife says I've got be less mental now with having kids and all that lol. Not far from you just down the M62 near Leeds. ;)

Best

Wulf

I'm not allowed another bike, both my mum and wife said they will kill me if I did lol
and your not too far from me then, most likely pass you once a month on my way to LGI :D

Will update the log over the weekend, been busy sorting things for i58 (NEC)

Soldato
You can tell a dedicated modder when the problem with contracting sepsis is that it gets in the way of finishing the paintwork! Glad to hear you made it though!

Gloss panel looks good. What did you sand and polish with to gloss it up?

Associate
OP
You can tell a dedicated modder when the problem with contracting sepsis is that it gets in the way of finishing the paintwork! Glad to hear you made it though!

Gloss panel looks good. What did you sand and polish with to gloss it up?

lol thanks mate :)

I was, and still will mention the paintwork in more detail later in the log, but for now I will let you know as you have asked.
Used cans for most of this case, I don't normally use them as they don't tend to be as good as airguns and proper car paints,
take longer to dry and even longer to be hard enough to polish without scratching or warping the paint finish.
also tend to get more orange peal with the cans although even the profecinal way gives some orange peal like on most factory painted
cars.

The top coat is clear/gloss and in a day or so it will be hard enough to sand and polish, all I have done to date with the panels
is buff them with some T-Cut to see how it reacted.

I have some 600 to 6000 grip paper I will use to flat the topcoat down with before moving on to some cutting paste then finer paste
before finally using some finishing compound.

The results from that wont be posted for at least a week or so as im waiting for some new buffer heads to arrive and the paint still needs
a couple more days to harden as I said.

Finger crossed, I will get a nice mirror black finish that will blend nice with the tinted side panel :)

Associate
OP
Ok im back to work on the build after having a great weekend at the i58 event with some fellow modders and friends.
I even got to meet OCUK's 8pac :D

I've been doing bits here and there on the case as I'm waiting for painted parts to harden.

The base of the case is where I'll be having the pump, I decided to cut in to the PSU cover rather than
totally removing it as it will help keep the case strong and be a good support for the pump and other bits.

01_zpselagu660.jpg

02_zpsihar0ovw.jpg

I made some templates for the bottom and side that will be used to make some covers out of plexi, this will also be painted or wrapped in white later down the line.

03_zpsvr30bz4s.jpg

04_zps9my29l3y.jpg

Heres the panel cut to shape, all that's needed for now is a hole for the pump to sit in, some other cuts will be made after testing the layout.

05_zpstyg1tsns.jpg

06_zpsffahopfl.jpg

07_zpse1l05zbm.jpg

Now for the motherboard, its originally white, red and silver.
I removed all the parts I wanted to paint and covered the red with some white wrap, the white did't match good enough so I went all out and painted the parts white.

08_zpsgymzz7kq.jpg

09_zps52udonwh.jpg

I wont be using the whole southbridge cover, but I've kept the G1 silver part should I decide to use it somewhere later.

10_zpser4jgd1v.jpg

11_zpscpfw6m3d.jpg

The motherboard is looking nice and clean, the white should look great with the light blue lighting once completed.
I've also painted the RAM and some other parts like the EK waterblock shown in the photo below.
I will get some more photos of them and the other parts posted in the next update.

12_zps45udkut9.jpg

Soldato
love the paint work. How easy is it to get the branding plates off the heatsink, and how did you do it? I had a mare wrapping the sticky plate on my Impact's power board and it'd be easier to take it off, but mine won't bloody budge!

Associate
OP
love the paint work. How easy is it to get the branding plates off the heatsink, and how did you do it? I had a mare wrapping the sticky plate on my Impact's power board and it'd be easier to take it off, but mine won't bloody budge!

Thanks mate, all the parts are removed via some screws on the back and the covers over the heat sinks was removed with some via low setting with a heatgun.
they was held on very very well with some type of double sided tape.

Greetings program!

This is what I hear every time I come to look at this build https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JLZGbJ5QE8M. :D. Damn, think I'm gonna break those Tron movies out again.

Best

Wulf

lol, thanks for the link!
I'm hoping I can steal that track for a final video at some point :D

Just finished painting all the white parts today, only the covers need doing still :)

Associate
OP
All the internal components and fittings are now painted, might add some more colour and or logos to them later in the build.
Tron is very polished and simple yet effective, so I want to keep this as clean as I can.

Here are some closer shots of the before and after CPU block.
01_zpstrerfr47.jpg

02_zpslldcqbty.jpg

03_zpsgptzwyqf.jpg

This is the backplate for the GTX1080 GPU, no white available so went ahead and painted a black one.
I will be adding something extra to this later.
04_zpsjpbsb1bs.jpg

05_zpsm0aqsnmt.jpg

Sound Cards repainted white with some added blue.
This wont really be seen as the card faces down, but I still wanted to have it matching and hopefully the
reflection will show once the bottom panel is added.
06_zpsidfkhizv.jpg

07_zpse4zkfdc6.jpg

08_zpsgt2w36gx.jpg

09_zpsw9umsymr.jpg

10_zpszr5znerq.jpg

11_zpsminjwtlt.jpg

12_zpsplq3lhzp.jpg

13_zpsdump21em.jpg

For the pump I just needed to paint the rubber padding and the metal bottom.
14_zpsijj6umhs.jpg

15_zpsos7ltfti.jpg

16_zpsqkumfnne.jpg

Here's the RAD, I think it looks great in white.
Wont be needing to paint the fans for this RAD as they will be hidden on the other side.
17_zpsbtnpvijr.jpg

This is the fans for the double RAD going on the top, as it will be seen on the inside of the case I painted them.
18_zpsvstdzvgm.jpg

19_zpsntfvohmp.jpg

20_zpsjxrnafj8.jpg

Associate
OP
The most part of the internal layout.
Some painted with acrylic and plasti-dip for the rest.

20160829_165426_zpsspzx7fxx.jpg

I've made some covers for the bottom, sides and back that will all be painted white or wrapped once the wiring is done.
20160830_163525_zps4boebulk.jpg

Associate
Just an observation, but that white shroud with "Gigabyte" on it above the CPU would look awesome painted with that blue you used on the Soundblaster ZX. Shaping up to be a great build mate. :)

Best

Wulf

Back
Top Bottom