is 16GB of ram now helpful for gaming

Man of Honour
Like most questions with reference to whether it's worth upgrading, it depends what you're doing. You can cut out all guesswork by running task manager/resource monitor while gaming. You'll be able to quit or just alt+tab out and see what your RAM usage is. By doing this you're seeing it for yourself, instead of upgrading based on guesswork or taking someone else's word for it :)

Associate
If you do gaming and nothing productive then 8GB is enough. RAM is so cheap now though that it's not going to cost much extra to up it to 16GB.

Soldato
There's a couple of games that can now push past 8GB if more is available (I think fallout 4 being one). Don't think anything is pushing 16GB for gaming but... for got the sake of a pair of matched sticks, eh, no reason why not.

Associate
Playing Elite Dangerous on one screen while watching Netflix on one screen and a Twitch stream on another was using 12Gb. Maybe a bit of an extreme example but I'd say go with 16Gb :)

Associate
I've been thinking this, i have 8Gb and never really saw the point of getting 18Gb, but with how cheap RAMM actually is i was thinking of just getting it for the sake of it!

Soldato
I've been thinking this, i have 8Gb and never really saw the point of getting 18Gb, but with how cheap RAMM actually is i was thinking of just getting it for the sake of it!

This is my theory ATM as rams has gone cheap again. Need another 2 sticks in mine for quad channel so might swap out.

But I wouldn't put less than 16gb in now especially as the price is too cheap

Back
Top Bottom