X99 Memory question

Associate
I'd say I have a similar experience but I think it's motherboard dependent in terms of stability/speed you can achieve. My Gigabyte x99 Gaming5 motherboard is the worst I've ever owned, it will refuse to do anything above 2400Mhz even though my RAM could do 2800.

It won't even let me change any bios setting without failing to boot, and I do mean any setting, I have to use their windows software to do any overclocking.

Soldato
There were a few of the peeps that bought the Gigabyte Gaming 5P + 3000MHz + 5820K bundle that reported lots of cold boot errors or unable to OC to the 3000MHz speed. Apparently the BIOS does some setup each time the DDR4 RAM is cold booted and the BIOS/settings can affect this for stability etc.

My first mobo was fine but died and was replaced via RMA. The replacement would OC the RAM but not the CPU. Tried the latest BIOS and it was then the RAM that wouldn't run at 3000MHz via the profile but the CPU would OC.

The issues were fed back to Gigabyte via 8pack and they sent a specific BIOS that fixed all my issues. So maybe try a few BIOS versions to see what affect that has.

The thread for that bundle is below.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18697252

Last edited:
Associate
There were a few of the peeps that bought the Gigabyte Gaming 5P + 3000MHz + 5820K bundle that reported lots of cold boot errors or unable to OC to the 3000MHz speed. Apparently the BIOS does some setup each time the DDR4 RAM is cold booted and the BIOS/settings can affect this for stability etc.

My first mobo was fine but died and was replaced via RMA. The replacement would OC the RAM but not the CPU. Tried the latest BIOS and it was then the RAM that wouldn't run at 3000MHz via the profile but the CPU would OC.

The issues were fed back to Gigabyte via 8pack and they sent a specific BIOS that fixed all my issues. So maybe try a few BIOS versions to see what affect that has.

The thread for that bundle is below.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18697252

Oh nice, I'll give it a try thanks :)

OcUK Staff
The Asrock board if old revision does not have oc socket and without this u can't consistently run mems high. 2666mhz is about the limit for long term running.

ASUS all X99 have this and that's why have much less issues at 3000mhz+ mem speeds.

Soldato
I am thinking the OC socket as pointed out helps a lot. I use X99 E-WS board with the OC socket and for daily use Ram straight to 3000 mhz with 8 sticks of 4 GB no issue, cache also goes a lot higher

Compared with a MSI SLI board I tested in temporarily with the same RAM and CPU failed to reach 3000 mhz on the memory and CPU Cache could not breach 4000 Mhz.

OcUK Staff
X99 WS for me an outstanding board. I run one CPU for server testing 4.8,4.5 cache and 3200mhz totally prime stable.

This board is basically a R5E with more stability as its tuned for the server markey. Great solution.

Yes OC socket FTW with memory.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thinking of swapping out my current msi board for an Asus. 3000mhz ram has also been a bit iffy for me, despite the board being rated for it. Prefer Asus boards in general though tbh.

Soldato
Depending on the board and memory configuration, assuming one isn't mixing kits it can become overwhelming for less experienced users when running into training or stability issues. Plenty of documentation out there, though.

Caporegime
well on asus boards for eg some may think there board is goosed when all the memory doesnt show up with 4 sticks. when all it is they have to be in the grey slots only or it wont read 16gb. people then assume mem is screwed or mobo broke. seen that a few times on here now.

some guy did it recently in members market.

Caporegime
well on asus boards for eg some may think there board is goosed when all the memory doesnt show up with 4 sticks. when all it is they have to be in the grey slots only or it wont read 16gb. people then assume mem is screwed or mobo broke. seen that a few times on here now.

some guy did it recently in members market.
The oc socket even on first gen asus boards does help with ram above 2666mhz. My gskill kit is a bit flakey in my older non oc socket msi board. Put the sdame kit into my nephew's asus x99 deluxe, no issues and it can be clocked too.

Back
Top Bottom