Best monitor on a £250(ish) budget

Associate
I need a monitor for my newly built gaming pc, however i will also be using it for photo and video editing. My main requirements i've narrowed it down to is: IPS panel, 24 or 25 inch screen (it needs to be portable), Display Port and HDMI connections, height adjustable stand and VESA mount. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

So far the best I've found myself is an Asus PB258Q at a few pounds over budget but I'm not sure if that's as suitable as I think it is or if I could do better...

My graphics card is a gtx980 ti. Not sure what other info is relevant...

Associate
Or this AOC https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...creen-led-monitor-silver-black-mo-029-ao.html it has the same panel as the dell but is cheaper. I got one myself a couple of weeks back it's great. Colours are rich and vibrant, use it for gaming (not fast paced shooters) don't think you'll find a better monitor for the price (I got it for just over £200) even the misses commented how great the colours are on it. Also mine has extremely low glow/bleed for a ips panel which was a relief

Associate
Or this AOC https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...creen-led-monitor-silver-black-mo-029-ao.html it has the same panel as the dell but is cheaper. I got one myself a couple of weeks back it's great. Colours are rich and vibrant, use it for gaming (not fast paced shooters) don't think you'll find a better monitor for the price (I got it for just over £200) even the misses commented how great the colours are on it. Also mine has extremely low glow/bleed for a ips panel which was a relief

Yep, the Dell's colours are better though, and doesn't need calibration out the box. The AOC needs a bit of tweaking.

Associate
OP
This is not only a newly built pc but my first pc for gaming and my first attempt at building my own, so when you say not fast paced shooters what do you mean? How fast? Examples of these shooters? What side effects are there of attempting them on this monitor and how bad?

Associate
This is not only a newly built pc but my first pc for gaming and my first attempt at building my own, so when you say not fast paced shooters what do you mean? How fast? Examples of these shooters? What side effects are there of attempting them on this monitor and how bad?

Probably refering to refresh rate. Those monitors are 60Hz, which essentially means you won't get the monster fps like the 144Hz Acer screens can achieve (which cost well over £250 and your GPU won't be hitting those numbers anyway without SLI).

With the 980Ti it's perfect for 1440p, consistent 60fps gaming, and if you're editing and/or working with photo's you'll want an IPS panel.

Screen size wise 25"-27", no real discernable difference, but going in the 25" range will save you a considerable amount over the 27" monitors.

The Dell U2515H is as good as you're going to get for £250, and tbh it out-performs a lot of the expensive ones too, here's a review:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2515h.htm

Soldato
I'm in the same position, looking to spend the same. I'm a massive Dell fan though, having had 2 previously.

How does the the Dell 24" InfinityEdge compare?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell...-slim-bezel-monitor-midnight-g-mo-086-de.html

Obviously lower resolution, but a newer panel I believe? How much discernible difference is there between 1440p and 1080p? 1440p will have a noticeable impact on framerates, but is it worth dropping the detail to get the extra PPI and 1440p panel will offer?

Last edited:
Associate
My Dell U2412m died on Friday (gutted :() so I need a new monitor in this price range too.

The recommended Dell and AOC further up seem to fit my requirements but I'm not familiar with the AOC brand. What is their build quality and customer service like?

Last edited:
Associate
AOC are very good IMO. The Dell screen is slightly better though. Whether you want to pay the additional £40-50 for better out the box colours is up to you though. I did, and i'm glad, plus it has more connections for my PS4 and PS3.

Associate
I really liked my Dell and had no intention of replacing it but it died without warning, though after a few years of use so I might just go with a Dell again.

Does anyone still make 16:10 around 24" size? Only one I can find is a Dell 30" which is too big and expensive.

Associate
OP
I will most likely go for the AOC, I need additional connections for consoles too but it's not as though you can use more than one at a time so I'll just plug the PC into the display port and invest in a multi HDMI switch box as well...

Associate
OP
Got it in the post today, set up and ready to go :)
Thanks for all the help...
IMG_20160601_120451.jpg

Back
Top Bottom