how important is response time for gaming?

Soldato
hey guys,

i have a old temporary monitor from DELL. I'm not sure on its response time but want to know if it is a big factor for gaming.

just curious as i might look at a 24" sooner rather than later...

RTJ

Associate
Generally it's not a massive factor if its around 5ms or under (which most 1080p displays are). Other features like the refresh rate are much bigger factors.

A lot of new good quality 24" monitors now advertise a 1ms response time.

Soldato
OP
cheers for the replies guys,

yeah, its an OLD Dell 17", but good quality for sure. i will look at a new 24"soon i think, not just the RT or the refresh, the real estate will be nice too.

RTJ

Soldato
Be careful with 'advertised' response times. Certain companies will measure it differently in order to provide a flattering number. And actual performance varies per monitor anyways.

Either way, it just depends on your sensitivity to motion blur(usually called ghosting here). It doesn't really bother me much if I'm playing at 60fps. Could be better, but I'm not willing to forego the advantages of my IPS for it. I know there's a couple high end IPS monitors that have pretty respectable response times, but they're out of my price range.

So there's no real way for us to give you an answer. It is important to some people, not as much to others.

Back
Top Bottom