***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
The Dell u3415w is notorious for IPS glow, i have owned one myself. Was only usable during the day. Had serious issues with slow pixel transition in the darker spectrum. Look it up on tftcentral. Otherwise gorgeous monitor.

ACER PREDATOR Z35, Pros: pretty darn fast overall for an ultrawide, Cons: Black/dark pixels takes longer to transition which can lead to undesired motion blur like effect. To what extent i dont know, im purely going on the reviews of the VA panel that i have read.

The sammy i know little about, but i would research the va panel before getting it.

The thing is with ultrawides from LG, that the price doesnt not dictate if you are going to have backlight bleed or IPS glow. Example would be my 230 pound 29um57 which was perfect in both catagories. What you want to look for is an 8 model(from 2016, um68, uc88 and so on) or if that is not possible a 7 model (from 2015, um57,um67 and so on). The 8 series has, according to LG representative here, been improve in these areas. I myself am looking forward to see how well this is when i get my 34um68.

Well, had some good news from the retailer I’m going to be using. They’re happy to exchange the monitor if ANYTHING (their words, in bold and capital letters) goes wrong with the monitor. Pixel-perfect guarantee or something. I specifically asked about the BLB and they’re happy to exchange it too. The only issue I foresee is what they class as ‘normal’ BLB and what I class as acceptable. They’re not a giant e-tailor like OCUK so I expect some push back as they can’t keep selling at a loss if I keep returning monitors. Usually I’m very easy going when it comes to monitors, but then again, I’ve not ever looked at spending a grand on a monitor so my expectations are high.

Honestly still none the wiser as to which direction I’m going to go. Gotta love expensive hardware upgrade time and the decisions and agonising that comes along with it :D . Especially a crapshoot lottery like buying a monitor.

Soldato
Well, had some good news from the retailer I’m going to be using. They’re happy to exchange the monitor if ANYTHING (their words, in bold and capital letters) goes wrong with the monitor. Pixel-perfect guarantee or something. I specifically asked about the BLB and they’re happy to exchange it too. The only issue I foresee is what they class as ‘normal’ BLB and what I class as acceptable. They’re not a giant e-tailor like OCUK so I expect some push back as they can’t keep selling at a loss if I keep returning monitors. Usually I’m very easy going when it comes to monitors, but then again, I’ve not ever looked at spending a grand on a monitor so my expectations are high.

Honestly still none the wiser as to which direction I’m going to go. Gotta love expensive hardware upgrade time and the decisions and agonising that comes along with it :D . Especially a crapshoot lottery like buying a monitor.

Thats the thing that ****es me off the most is purchasing monitors. You would think that dropping that extra cash and going for the premium model that ips glow, backlight bleed, pixel shifting and all those issues are near non existing but you would be wrong to assume that sadly which is why im done for the moment with those super expensive 700-800ish pounds displays.

I can see on my GLS tracking page that im gonna get my 34um68 today. So if that monitor is interesting to you spec wise then keep your ears peeled between later today and tomorrow as i will be posting pictures of BlB and Glow issues if any(i hope not.. only thing worse to me than blb is dead pixels).

Soldato
Thats the thing that ****es me off the most is purchasing monitors. You would think that dropping that extra cash and going for the premium model that ips glow, backlight bleed, pixel shifting and all those issues are near non existing but you would be wrong to assume that sadly which is why im done for the moment with those super expensive 700-800ish pounds displays.

I can see on my GLS tracking page that im gonna get my 34um68 today. So if that monitor is interesting to you spec wise then keep your ears peeled between later today and tomorrow as i will be posting pictures of BlB and Glow issues if any(i hope not.. only thing worse to me than blb is dead pixels).

I'll be very interested to hear your review on that monitor. I have that on my radar too. Sadly though, it's still a complete luck of the draw it would seem. Extremely irritating and off-putting. If they're going to be bad, at least ALL be bad so I know what to expect. Currently it feels like I'm going to be ordering a product that may or may not be usable and then potentially knock heads with the retailer to convince them that it's defective.

Oh well, I went through far more pains deciding on a graphics card so I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled and hopefully something suitable shows up.

Been chatting to a sales guy at one of the retailers I'm considering and he seems happy enough to let me come in to the shop and test a monitor before buying.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the 34um68

Ste

Ste

Soldato
I bought a B grade 3415 recently. Been hugely pleased with the whole concept of 21:9 for desktop work and productivity etc.

However playing doom recently has been a bit of an eye opener. The IPS glow is horrific. I have some backlight bleed and assumed that was why the monitor was returned. But perhaps the IPS glow is worse than average. Either way dark scenes in a blacked out room are pretty much a no go. I have to whack the gamma up a bit to see what's going on which leaves the screen a bit washed out. My Hazro was just as bad so it's something I'm used to but can only imaging that the experience would be a lot better without this issue. Real shame as its a great screen in every other way!

Still very pleased - net of selling my old Hazro it was only a whisker over a 200 quid upgrade. But do be careful if you're paying top money...

Edit - reading above doesn't seem this is specific to my screen at all. I paid 380 for it which makes the issue more than acceptable. But if I'd paid 700 id be a bit miffed!

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought a B grade 3415 recently. Been hugely pleased with the whole concept of 21:9 for desktop work and productivity etc.

However playing doom recently has been a bit of an eye opener. The IPS glow is horrific. I have some backlight bleed and assumed that was why the monitor was returned. But perhaps the IPS glow is worse than average. Either way dark scenes in a blacked out room are pretty much a no go. I have to whack the gamma up a bit to see what's going on which leaves the screen a bit washed out. My Hazro was just as bad so it's something I'm used to but can only imaging that the experience would be a lot better without this issue. Real shame as its a great screen in every other way!

Still very pleased - net of selling my old Hazro it was only a whisker over a 200 quid upgrade. But do be careful if you're paying top money...

Edit - reading above doesn't seem this is specific to my screen at all. I paid 380 for it which makes the issue more than acceptable. But if I'd paid 700 id be a bit miffed!

:) at 380 i would say it would be easier to live with. I bought mine for 690ish pounds. I then later sold it on the 2nd hand market for 580 as it was bugging the hell out of me. That said Ultrawide is amazing and i absolutely love IPS when it comes to picture quality. Just have to be a bit lucky in the monitor lottery sadly.

Soldato
I'll keep an eye out for the future thanks :)

Just had a look at a 2nd hand monitor. Guy selling it says it's a great screen with as little bleeding as you're going to get on these monitors ...

Decided on a cheap AOC TN panel at 1440p and to check back in a year or two once the tech stabilise a bit better.

Soldato
Well i got the 34um68 now and have set it up. Time to play with the thing and take some pictures of the bleed and glow once it gets darker. Good news is at the moment even at 100% brightness and contrast i cannot see any bleed or glow. More information including pictures coming later including a bit of a scare which got resolved :)

Associate
I'll keep an eye out for the future thanks :)

Just had a look at a 2nd hand monitor. Guy selling it says it's a great screen with as little bleeding as you're going to get on these monitors ...

Decided on a cheap AOC TN panel at 1440p and to check back in a year or two once the tech stabilise a bit better.
Hey dude blb never killed anybody you know? And by the way from the looks of it the one showed there was almost perfect. You don't have to trust crappy pics taken with a cell phone, nor those weirdos that have changed 6 monitors because they all sucked. Anyway, if you can live with a 1440 TN it's all good I guess.

Soldato
Well i got the 34um68 now and have set it up. Time to play with the thing and take some pictures of the bleed and glow once it gets darker. Good news is at the moment even at 100% brightness and contrast i cannot see any bleed or glow. More information including pictures coming later including a bit of a scare which got resolved :)

Good stuff. Hopefully you have a decent one. My 34um68 is nigh on perfect in the top corners, the bottom right has what looks like a slight silver haze that's well within my tolerance levels, but the bottom left has a yellow glow that spreads out too far out for me to put up with. It's like there's a tiny torch on the other side of the screen shining out. Otherwise it's great and absolutely a keeper. I honestly would sway it for any of the 1440p versions (well, i'd sell it and buy two of these :D). Hopefully the next one will be better.

Soldato
Well i think i can safely say that the monitor is going back. The scare i got yesterday when i recieved it is back and even more furiously so. Stupid green line down the center which i can make go away by applying pressure at the bottom of the monitor where the line ends. You can hear a clickly sound when you do but it comes back very fast so this is by no means a fix or a proper solution. Its ****ing me off. I had to wait nearly a week for the monitor and this is what i get.

Soldato
Well i think i can safely say that the monitor is going back. The scare i got yesterday when i recieved it is back and even more furiously so. Stupid green line down the center which i can make go away by applying pressure at the bottom of the monitor where the line ends. You can hear a clickly sound when you do but it comes back very fast so this is by no means a fix or a proper solution. Its ****ing me off. I had to wait nearly a week for the monitor and this is what i get.

Ouch, that seems very unfortunate indeed.

Associate

So much for the new improved QC at LG :o

You still getting the same monitor as replacement or plan on trying something different?

Associate
Decided to join the 21st Century and upgrade from my 2 x 22" 1080p monitors powered by my trusty MSI GTX 570.

The X34 Predator comes this morning, just got to pre-order a 1080 gpu.

I'm hoping to notice a small difference :)

Soldato
So much for the new improved QC at LG :o

You still getting the same monitor as replacement or plan on trying something different?

Well im torn really cause the actual performance of the display it pretty darn awesome. I could OC it to 80hz easy with included freesync support 40-80hz range. Gaming on it has been pretty good, better than i expected really so it saddens me that i have to deal with this stupid green line. I think ill go with a replacement as the store i got it from said that if i didnt like that i would still have a fully 14 days of return from the day i recieve it.

The overall build quality is not great, the monitor is hanging down slightly to the right and the actually panel inside seems a tiny bit loose. I dont think this is normal for the 34um68 but more like i got unlucky. The place i bought is know for great customer support so i had no issues getting it replaced.

Overall experience disregarding the green line fault including link to my -->google drive<-- with pictures of the monitor with the last few pictures showing the fault.

Pro:
1) Minimal blur during gaming(which surprised me)
2) OCable to 85hz with no frameskip but LG out of sync message
3) OCable to 80hz with no frameskip, no LG out of sync message and full freesync support(40-80hz)
4) Good overall picture quality, everything pops really good and i love the matte coating. Games and movies are beautiful.
5) Text not as bad as i thought it would be after slight recalibration of sharpness.
6) Joystick for menu navigation
7) Got The division for free with the monitor.
8) Minimal backlight bleed
9) Vesa mounts 100x100

Cons:
1) Horrible settings out the box when it came to sharpness, caused everything to look pixelated.
2) Stand and monitor housing feels cheap and is a fingerprint magnet to.
3) I had more than desirable glow in the lower left corner(still a lot less than what i had with the Dell u3415w)
4) No Displayport cable in the box? wtf? it says freesync on the darn box.

Soldato
Sorry to see that man. It's a pain having to go through sending something back. Good re. the rest. I've got a 2nd on the way btw that should be here tomorrow to compare bleed/glow and one will likely be a keeper.

Just thought I give my feedback after owning the x34 for just over a week now, and think I can honestly say it's been one of the best upgrades I've ever made, I have noticed a stuck/dead pixel on the far left but you really don't notice it unless the screen is black and can't complain considering the price I paid, other than that touch wood it seems fine.

It really is quite a shock coming a from a regular 24" 60Hz 1080p panel, your experiencing so much all at once, the size of the screen, the higher pixel density, higher refresh rate, GSYNC, it was a lot to take in.

I will say now I've experienced these features and aspect ratio if I had £500/600 to spend and the choice was between a regular 60Hz 21:9 panel or 27" GSYNC 144Hz panel I would take the 27" all day long, GSYNC and higher refresh rate is just that important imo over 21:9, before I had this panel I thought 60fps/Hz was perfectly smooth but after your brain gets used to 100Hz it's like night and day for me, and that was a genuine surprise, I didn't expect there to be such a difference, even just on the desktop it's noticeable moving windows around, scrolling webpages etc.

Is this screen perfect? No, if you look for issues you'll probably find them and I think unless you notice something obvious I wouldn't bother looking, just enjoy the panel as is, your on the forefront of gaming.

Back
Top Bottom