• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700k awful temps

Associate
Hi ive got a 6700k at stock clocks with a h100i gtx and my temps are totally awful, i cleaned the rad and fans and after turning my pc on and playing 1 round on overwatch my temps were
core 1 88c
core 2 88c
core 3 81c
core 4 83c

I have 4 fans on the rad ( two top and top bottom) using corsain fan link to control temps but dont know what else to do, ( Not a great tech person)
I reset everything to default in bios but still same, I have a asus z170 deluxe mobo, also hwmonitor says max vid is 1.314V seems high from what ive been reading but i set everything to default in bios so dont know what else to do :confused: any help much appreciated

Associate
check if the pump is running and also maybe reseat the CPU block.
Those temps are too high even for prime 95 with that voltage.

Soldato
Part of your problem might be your vcore being too high, leading to higher temps. It seems that many of the Asus Z170 boards are overtuned in this way and need some dialling back in BIOS. Check out this thread for details.

However, your temps are exceptionally high, so there's probably something else at play too. Definitely get some new thermal paste and re-seat your cooler.

Associate
OP
Part of your problem might be your vcore being too high, leading to higher temps. It seems that many of the Asus Z170 boards are overtuned in this way and need some dialling back in BIOS. Check out this thread for details.

However, your temps are exceptionally high, so there's probably something else at play too. Definitely get some new thermal paste and re-seat your cooler.

Followed that thread and changed the voltage to adaptive and lowered it too 1.200 and the offset to think its was 0000.1 or something like that and changed llc to level 1 and played half hour of overwatch and 3 rounds of heros of the storm and highest temps have been
core 1 - 63
2 - 63
3 - 59
4 -63

so over a 20 degree drop, surprised asus boards over volt that much? thanks for the link helped me a lot :)

Associate
Thought your max recorded voltage was 1.314 which isn't high at all but now I see that you said vid which isn't vcore that is mostly responsible for high temperatures.

Soldato
Followed that thread and changed the voltage to adaptive and lowered it too 1.200 and the offset to think its was 0000.1 or something like that and changed llc to level 1 and played half hour of overwatch and 3 rounds of heros of the storm and highest temps have been
core 1 - 63
2 - 63
3 - 59
4 -63

so over a 20 degree drop, surprised asus boards over volt that much? thanks for the link helped me a lot :)

Nice one, much better temps now. I'm glad the link helped. Dunno why Asus have set the boards up like this by default, there's potentially quite a lot of people with systems running hotter than they need to be and perhaps aren't aware of it.

Associate
Seems very high temp wise. My 6700k is at 4.6ghz @1.35v and running realbench my max temp on one of the cores was 85 degrees using the corsair h80i v2 with just 1 fan attached at the front of my case. During gaming they probably hover in the 60's but i have not really checked that much.

Soldato
Delid it, or get a better loop.

core 1 - 63
2 - 63
3 - 59
4 -63

AUTO is designed to compensate for worst case scenarios, that's how the ruling works. If it's too high, tune the system manually as you have done. Simples.

Associate
My 6700k reaches around 72-73 degrees max during gameplay using a corsair h115i. running at 4.6ghz using 1.375 V. its the hottest chip ive ever owned and i thought these were meant to be cooler than there predecessors.

Associate
Just re-applied thermal paste and also started using corsair link and increased pump speed to performance. going to monitor temps again whilst playing witcher 3.

Will also prob start lowering my vcore as well to see how low it can go

Soldato
My 6700k reaches around 72-73 degrees max during gameplay using a corsair h115i. running at 4.6ghz using 1.375 V. its the hottest chip ive ever owned and i thought these were meant to be cooler than there predecessors.

They are. And those temps look a bit out of whack, like 10-15C high for that Vcore and cooler. Have you checked the LLC? H115i receiving enough cool air?

Associate
Well im using an enthoo evolve atx case which could be restricting the airflow a bit. on top im using bitfenix 140mm spectre pro fans which might not be the perfect fans for airflow but they look good. going to monitor temps later and i can probably reduce my vcore a bit as well

Associate
Yeah too high temps .. I followed the Asus guide to overclocking the i7 6700k with the Z170 board and under full load (with 4.6 overclock), I don't get over mid/high 60's. That's running Corsair closed loop with push/pull. Try and find that guide as there really wasn't many changes to make and it was very easy to follow (even for me).

Case:phanteks Enthoo Primo,
Mobo: Asus Maximus viii Extreme Z170
CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz
Ram: TeamGroup Xtreem 16GB DDR4 3733MHz
Cooler: Corsair H110i Gtx
GPU: Asus GTX 980 Ti Matrix
Sound: Asus essence
HDD: 3xSamsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX1200i 1200W
Optical: Pioneer Bluray

Back
Top Bottom