• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake Bending Issue

Associate
Does anyone know how likely it is to get the CPU bending issue with the new Skylake CPU's? It's kind of putting me off building a new Z170 based system. I wouldn't be using a big cooler with it. Probably a Corsair AIO or a low profile CPU cooler.

Soldato
Does anyone know how likely it is to get the CPU bending issue with the new Skylake CPU's? It's kind of putting me off building a new Z170 based system. I wouldn't be using a big cooler with it. Probably a Corsair AIO or a low profile CPU cooler.

Blown out of all proportion.

I remember a few months back from the original article, it was only one make/model of HSF that damaged a Skylake chip, one occurrence. Turns out the HSF didn't follow Intel's specifications for the amount of weight/pressure of the mounting mechanism.

I've had a NH-U12S fitted to my 6700k for almost 6 months with no issue. I also setup a similar system for a friend with a NH-D15 again with no issue, he's even driven the system 300 miles on the beak seat of a car.

The only implication of a thinner CPU substrate is the increased difficulty of delidding them using traditional methods. This is no longer an issue since the 'delid' tool takes take of that flawlessly, for those inclined to do so.

Soldato
Blown out of all proportion.

I remember a few months back from the original article, it was only one make/model of HSF that damaged a Skylake chip, one occurrence. Turns out the HSF didn't follow Intel's specifications for the amount of weight/pressure of the mounting mechanism.

I've had a NH-U12S fitted to my 6700k for almost 6 months with no issue. I also setup a similar system for a friend with a NH-D15 again with no issue, he's even driven the system 300 miles on the beak seat of a car.

The only implication of a thinner CPU substrate is the increased difficulty of delidding them using traditional methods. This is no longer an issue since the 'delid' tool takes take of that flawlessly, for those inclined to do so.

Not got anything else to add except I have the same heatsink (U12S) and a 6600K and no issues at all.
I can only speak from using the Noctua, but it didn't seem like you could overtighten it anyway, as soon as you hit the limit to the screw that was it, there was no more ability to tighten it above what it should be at.

Soldato
The substrate on skylake chips is very thin and I do think its something to keep in mind as you can flex the base of the chip very easily.

Man of Honour
The substrate on skylake chips is very thin and I do think its something to keep in mind as you can flex the base of the chip very easily.

Wish they'd adopt the X79 socket on all chipsets - one of the reasons I went for it over the consumer platform it just makes it so much less hassle to deal with and far more robust. (I know this is more about the socket but it also helps to protect the CPU as well).

Associate
OP
This might sound like a bit of a dumb question, but here it goes;

If you've bent the CPU substrate in your Skylake system, how would you know without opening up your computer? I'm assuming the system just wouldn't post at all.

Soldato
They seem to make the mainstream chips with as little material as possible now, they are like wafers. Thin/weak PCBs do tend to warp over time due to the heat. You see it with graphics cards and cheap motherboards.

Back
Top Bottom