• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

From a i5 2500k to a i7 6700k: my impressions

Associate
We had this discussion a few yrs back, that the i5 was the same as the i7 if you disabled the HT.

But you said that 6700K is the same as 2500K with higher clock and hyperthreading but it's not.
Skylake architecture is 30% faster on average over sandy bridge at the same clock speed.
Then there is higher memory bandwidth and other improvements.

Soldato
I have had a similar experience upgrading from an i7 860 to an i5 6600k. I have gained a frankly unbelievable performance increase in games using the same GPU. I made a thread about it, but very few seemed to care. Maybe I wrote it badly and didn't get my point across well:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18736047

It confirms that even if your CPU isn't at 100% utilisation, you still get bottlenecks from older ones. I will never wait that long before upgrading (6 years) again. New CPU every 3 for me now.

There's a big difference, architecturally, between the i7 860 and the i5 6600k. Between an i5 6600k and an i5 3570k? Not so much, and it keeps getting smaller.

Caporegime
the main thing is many people dont actually bench their games before and after or if they do don't do timed benchmarks with min max and avg.

i do in all my games i play.so i can see the real difference.some games its a small improve in some its massive especially on minimums and the minimum fps is often the most important.

yet many will just see 90 fps or whatever for a glance oh its about the same yet they may of gained 20/30 percent better on minimums.

also.remember say you only get 5 or 10 fps difference that's often a higher gpu difference.

Caporegime
Pointless getting anything above a i5 tbh. Unless going SLI

well not really is it. for eg certain games i record for eg a i5 would struggle if doing certain settings. many people record games now and its common.

i7 really helps.

too give you a example on max settings on dirt rally and recording while doing the run aswell the i5 even overclocking with stutter.i7 wont.

same settings just the difference is the i7 can do it without the stutter.this is a big deal if you record. for that alone its worth it.

Associate
Pointless getting anything above a i5 tbh. Unless going SLI

Crazy statement to make.. how about for streaming on Twitch etc, difference is huge.

----

Anyway guys do i buy Retail or OEM 6700K? I know the difference is warranty, no nice blue box, price etc.. anything else why i should buy one over the other?

Someone said i might get a CPU thats been sent back if i buy OEM..

Will be buying this week.

Associate
As long as OEM comes with a warranty then you're fine. May not have same OC potential which may be reason its sent back but as long as you're not doing anything extreme then you should be fine with OEM.

Caporegime
Crazy statement to make.. how about for streaming on Twitch etc, difference is huge.

----

Anyway guys do i buy Retail or OEM 6700K? I know the difference is warranty, no nice blue box, price etc.. anything else why i should buy one over the other?

Someone said i might get a CPU thats been sent back if i buy OEM..

Will be buying this week.

oem often come in trays whenn they buy a load of them.sometimes they try them out in system builds to find the best ones.why i always buy a retail as it shouldnt be open or tested tried .

Soldato
I always go retail with a sealed box, there is no guarantee that some OEM has not binned it and thrown a runt chip back in the pool.

Back
Top Bottom