• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

~~~~~IMPORTANT SANDYBRIDGE OC INFO: Voltages & OC Guide!!~~~~~

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Right guys myself and our technical guys have spent the entire weekend and this morning in discussions with Intel regarding the alarming amount of reports of Sandybridge CPU's dying and have been conducting our own testing as have Intel to find out what is a definite no no.

Sandybridge maximum safe voltages

Core Voltage - Not recommended too exceed 1.38v, doing so could kill the CPU, we therefor recommend a range of 1.325-1.350v if overclocking.
Memory Voltage - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means upto 1.58v is the safe recommended limit. In our testing we have found 1.65v has caused no issues.
BCLK Base Clock - This is strictly a NO, anyone using base clock overclocking could/will cause damange to CPU/Mainboard. (Set manually to 100)
PLL Voltage - Do not exceed 1.9v!!

Processor - Basically we recommend customers not to exceed 1.35v to play it safe, all our bundles are set at 1.3250v or lower, any competitors offering bundles above 4.6GHz you should be enquiring as to what voltage they are using as we believe anything over 1.38v will limit CPU lifespan and anything over 1.42v will likely kill the CPU or severely limit its lifespan.

Memory - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means 1.60v is the ideal safe maximum, but we have found in our testing all 1.65v memory is fine. We have also found most new 1.65v like Corsair XMS3 will run at its rated timings with just 1.50-1.55v which is well within Intel specifications. So people upgrading to Sandybridge you can still use your old DDR3, but we do recommend you run it at 1.60v or less. We are shipping most of our bundles which feature Corsair XMS at 1.50v-1.55v at rated timings. We've also discussed with Asus and MSI regarding voltages for memory and they also confirm in their testing 1.65v caused no issues with reliability.

Base Clock - To put it simple if you value the life of your components, do not overclock using base clock!

PLL Voltage - Again do not exceed 1.9v!

These are just guidelines we recommend you follow, if you want to push more voltage through your CPU's then just be aware they could die on you. Your warranty is un-affected and we will honor any CPU's that die, we just won't ask questions as to how you killed them. ;)

Not all CPU's are as fragile as others, we have experimented upto 1.50v Vcore and 1.70v memory and had zero issues with reliability, so it seems some of fine when pushing hard. :)

Soldato
These are just guidelines we recommend you follow, if you want to push more voltage through your CPU's then just be aware they could die on you. Your warranty is un-affected and we will honor any CPU's that die, we just won't ask questions as to how you killed them. ;)

All extremely commendable.

Won't Intel be asking questions if a spike in returns becomes a statistical improbability. Exaggerating 10% of all SB CPU's through people whacking 1.5V vcore just to see what happens.

I would suggest that questions should be asked even if only to improve your knowledge privately without it going further.

andy

Soldato
Intel 32nm does seem fragile. Looks like Intel has a good reason to limit overclocking of the non K-series parts.

Still, won't affect most consumers at all and they still look like good CPUs.

Soldato
All extremely commendable.

Won't Intel be asking questions if a spike in returns becomes a statistical improbability. Exaggerating 10% of all SB CPU's through people whacking 1.5V vcore just to see what happens.

I would suggest that questions should be asked even if only to improve your knowledge privately without it going further.

andy

This would be business suicide for ocuk to do that. No one would buy any of their k chips if they were refusing to honour warranties so it's best they don't know. Secondly if they were asking privately then intel could sue them for every chip that was replaced under warranty when the warranty was in fact breached.

Soldato
Thanks guys, will definately be keeping it under those limits. I think 4.2GHz at stock volts will do me just fine, if not maybe a tiny bit more. Now I just have to wait for it all to turn up!

Soldato
This would be business suicide for ocuk to do that. No one would buy any of their k chips if they were refusing to honour warranties so it's best they don't know. Secondly if they were asking privately then intel could sue them for every chip that was replaced under warranty when the warranty was in fact breached.

I dont think that I was encouraging OCUK in refusing to honour warranties. I commended them on their stance. I was concerned that the tone implied that whatever you did to the CPU would not affect the warranty and perhaps was a weakness to OCUK. Will this apply 2 years 11 months down the line? RMA is provided to protect against manufacturer fault not customer optimism. The major manufacturers will monitor their suppliers forums and possibly take a view on the statements made. Whilst nothing can be proved either way, a non representative number of warranty returns could be disputed. I think that the last two paragraphs could have been omitted from the statement without affecting the message.

Back
Top Bottom