• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cpu Upgrade suggestions cheers

Associate
Yo im upgrading from a r9 270x to the new 480 and was going to upgrade my cpu as well. Currently got an fx 6300, my question being can you recommend some good cpus and mobos. budget of around 200-250 give or take, cheers.

Soldato
£200-250 for motherboard, CPU, and RAM isn't really enough for an upgrade from what you've currently got I'm afraid. The current Intel prices are steep.

You could get an i3 bundle, but in some games it might be slower. Depends very much on the game and if your FX is overclocked.

£300 is ovrebudget but would get you a skylake i5 bundle which would be an upgrade.

Your best bet is a second hand motherboard + Devil's Canyon/Haswell/Ivy Bridge and keep your current RAM.

Soldato
I would either get second hand unlocked i5/i7 or wait for zen.

I dont think you would have enough to buy a new unlocked i5 and board unless you get good deal somewhere, my i5 was £150 from ocuk few years back.
I wouldn't bother with the locked intels.

I don't think anything on the amd side will be worth the upgrade until zen comes out.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
if your not looking to upgrade your ram I would look at a 4690k and a cheap 1150 z97 board.

I went from an Asus sabbertooth 990fx board and an FX8350 to the 4690k and an gigabyte Z97 board and I used my own ram and gpu at the time and I noticed a performance increase and my games ran smoother.

Ive since upgraded my GPU to a Gtx970 and went to an Msi gaming 5 board im still using the same 16gb of corsair ram I had but my system runs so much better than it ever did.

Associate
Would this be any good ?

Core i5-4690K 3.50GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail =£195
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...ocket-lga1150-processor-retail-cp-540-in.html

Z97-P Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard = £69
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-z97-p-intel-z97-socket-1150-ddr3-atx-motherboard-mb-636-as.html

Total = £264

Asus Z97-P motherboard review here = http://techreport.com/review/28036/asus-z97-p-motherboard-reviewed

this is what I would do.

Associate
this and OC 6300 until zen shows up......you could also possible snag 8320e cheap and OC the snot out of it for a boost for now.......

how long will it be untill Zen is finally released? it could be a long wait.
I was told to wait for Zen last year before I upgraded from my dead 8350.. I went for the 4690k as I wanted a system up and running.

Im happy with the difference between the 8350 and 4690k and being honest I dont see the point in upgrading again any time soon unless I come across a cheap I7 4790k

OP what motherboard are you using at present?

Associate
OP
I currently have an extreme 970 3 board and doesn't play nicely with oc'ing on my setup so oc'ing isn't an option. I am going to wait and see how the 480 and 6300 run, hopefully there is little need to upgrade. However I do play games such as dayz sa and the bf titles(will be playing bf1). Where cpu performance would be important. Ofc an amd cpu upgrade isn't worth especially if I can't oc. So generally people are saying to go for the 4690k or wait for zen is the 4690k worth the money to upgrade from what I currently Have or is there not too much difference to justify it? Also when is the zen expected to release
And what's it's price range? Cheers for the replies n I know my reply is late I kinda stopped checking since at the time I wasn't getting many replies

Back
Top Bottom