• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade options from 3770K - June 2016

Associate
Hi guys,

I built my 3770k rig 4yrs ago and I really have the flipping 'itch' to upgrade now! I am running a stable OC of 4.6 and would also want a good OC on my new CPU.

I'm considering the following:

1. Skylake 6700k
2. Haswell-E 5820k
3. Wait for Kaby Lake, Skylake-E .....or Cannonlake next year!

I think I've ruled out the Broadwell-E 6800k as reviews say it does not OC too well and will require liquid cooling to push beyond 4GHZ - I've no experience with liquid cooling, but I'm sure I could give it a try if needed. If it is still worth considering this chip then please let me know.

My main game is FSX, so also wondering if the extra cores on the extreme edition CPUs will help.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Caporegime
2 or wait.

i can tell you at 4.6ghz in firestrike a 5820k scores twice as much as a stock 3770 non k. if of any help.

if you wait or upgrade its fine which ever. your cpu is good still anyway.

Associate
I made the upgrade to a 5820k from a 3770k, Now, i'll be honest , i'm very happy BUT, vs the mainstream platforms x99 requires much more tweaking to get the best out of it.

It's not as simple as just whacking up the core voltage and dialing in an overclock, well you can do it that way but your going to get less than stellar performance.

If you don't mind investing the time and you don't mind doing a lot of reading then x99 is the way forward , if you want a simple overclocking setup go skylake.

Soldato
Hold on to what you have for another year. It's just not worth the upgrade.

If this forum wasn't connected to a shop there would be a forum sticky "If you have a 2500k-3770k and mostly game, there is no need for an upgrade"

Unless you're planning on rendering, encoding, editing or can think of a reason where you specifically need an X99 based system then you don't need it :)

Soldato
Got 3770k as well myself and I really disappointed with Intel. The gains over the last 3 generations have been so minor that they're barely there. 6700k, 3 gens later, is barely a side grade. Considering that I've never seen it load up over 60-70% on all cores/threads in games I am pretty sure I won't be upgrading for at least another 1.5-2 years.

Associate
I'm in the same situation. I went from i7 920 -> i7 3770k and didn't really feel any big differences. I guess SATA3 and other minor stuff is nice to have, but there's even less difference between Ivy and Skylake now.

I will be waiting to see what Zen brings, hopefully it'll give Intel a bit of a kick up the backside in the least.

Associate
I have a 3770k and am in the process of moving it to a matx board and making it last another few years. I'll wait and see how zen turns out - and that's probably not going to make me upgrade either. PC working fine with this cpu.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys!

I guess the flip side to this more gradual rate of performance increase in recent years is that our CPUs are viable for much longer!

It's no fun though ;)

Back
Top Bottom