• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 4570 to 6600K - useless upgrade?

Associate
I have been looking at upgrading my CPU to a 6600K though it means also getting a new motherboard, and new DDR4 RAM.

I know my current CPU pulls down my score in benchmarks but I'm not too sure what kind of effect it would have on performance in games.

If it helps I will have a GTX 1080 and I would OC the CPU

Soldato
Look for a cheap 2nd hand Haswell i7, easy drop in upgrade that can be offset by selling your current cpu making the upgrade cost a lot cheaper over Skylake.

Associate
As many have said, best go for a used 4790K, I would not buy a haswell i7 brand new, prices is almost skylake.

Maybe only consider Skylake if you have someone to hand down your i5 4570 platform.

Btw, 4570 to a 6600K (overclocked) is a not useless upgrade but defiantly not worth the cost to switch platform.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. If upgrading to Skylake isn't worth it I may just stick to what I have, perhaps until the next gen or two of Skylake CPUs.

I would go for the 4790K but when I decide to upgrade my CPU I'd like to get a new mobo too, as some plastic parts have broken off my current one for the USB 3.0 connector and some other none important parts - so the faintest touch means the USB 3 cable comes loose.

I think the best option will be to wait for now

Associate
Not to hijack the thread but is the same generally true of the 3570?

Now that 3770K prices have started to come down a fair bit, I've been thinking of upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom