• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5930k or 6850k

Associate
Hi struggling to decide between the 5930k or the broadwell-e 6850k so need help as I can not see much benefit if any of the 6850k which costs more. My new build will be for streaming and gaming if that's of any help. At the moment to me it seems the 5930k is the better but I'm sure the more technically minded will confirm that or not xD. Thanks in advance

Associate
I will be running 1x Evga 1080 Hybrid. Will the 5820k handle the multitasking as well as the 5830k?

then the 5820K is a better choice in term of performance/price.
the 5820K is a beast, it is only 100Mhz behind in turbo boost frequency hence you won't be able to point out which one is which. At best you would probably see a difference of around 2-5% in benchmark scores.
Main difference is that 5820k has 28 pcie lanes (max 16x-8x in Dual SLI/CFX and 8x8x8x in Triple SLI/CFX). 5930K has 40 lanes, hence it can run at full 16x-16x in dual card setup. You only run 1 card so this doesn't matter.

Associate
OP
then the 5820K is a better choice in term of performance/price.
the 5820K is a beast, it is only 100Mhz behind in turbo boost frequency hence you won't be able to point out which one is which. At best you would probably see a difference of around 2-5% in benchmark scores.
Main difference is that 5820k has 28 pcie lanes (max 16x-8x in Dual SLI/CFX and 8x8x8x in Triple SLI/CFX). 5930K has 40 lanes, hence it can run at full 16x-16x in dual card setup. You only run 1 card so this doesn't matter.

Great bit of advice thank you, definelty going to have a think now. Thank you for taking your time to explain it

Soldato
Unless you insist on running your cpu@ stock frequencies or really want/need a 10 core CPU then there isn't a single compelling reason to buy a broadwell-e CPU over it's haswell-e equivalent. If your buying a motherboard new as well the cash back available with haswell -e chips makes it a total no brainer

Back
Top Bottom