• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 2500k upgrade!

Associate
So I think the time has come for me to finally let my beloved 2500k rest. I am just curious, which direction do I head?

4790k?

6700k?

5820k?

I can go for either but a 5820k / x99 bundle would take 2-3 months of saving as would a 6700k considering they are similarly priced. 4790k I could get within a month.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
Out of interest, what's your reason for upgrading? Are you noticing framerate issues in games or productivity problems in other programs? I mostly ask as I've got a GTX 1080 and a 1440p screen on the way and was hoping/expecting that my 2500k would see me through at least another CPU generation.

What is your PC mainly used for? The 5820k will be faster in multi-threaded tasks, while the 6700k is a bit quicker in single-threaded, so it depends on the use. For just gaming you'll save yourself money by going down the 6700k route and won't really see any performance benefit opting for 5820k instead.

Associate
OP
Out of interest, what's your reason for upgrading? Are you noticing framerate issues in games or productivity problems in other programs? I mostly ask as I've got a GTX 1080 and a 1440p screen on the way and was hoping/expecting that my 2500k would see me through at least another CPU generation.

What is your PC mainly used for? The 5820k will be faster in multi-threaded tasks, while the 6700k is a bit quicker in single-threaded, so it depends on the use. For just gaming you'll save yourself money by going down the 6700k route and won't really see any performance benefit opting for 5820k instead.

Its a pure gaming pc and I know I could get through another generation with me 2500k but I also know I would see a benefit going with a 6700k or more.

The reason the 5820k is an option is because some believe that dx12 onwards we will see games taking advantage of the extra cores plus I love the x99 boards for whatever reason.

I also have the option of a 5820k for £265 which is quite a bargain imo.

Caporegime
I take it this is from buying off a friend etc?

EDIT - the 6700K will beat the 5820K in gaming but I doubt you would really notice other than benchmarks. And as you say, as DX12 matures those two extra cores will come into play.

Associate
OP
I take it this is from buying off a friend etc?

EDIT - the 6700K will beat the 5820K in gaming but I doubt you would really notice other than benchmarks. And as you say, as DX12 matures those two extra cores will come into play.

Its a high street store actually, yes second hand but with 24 month warranty I think it would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom