• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*****UK's Best Price & Staggering DEAL - ATI HD 5870 £179.99 Delivered!*****

OcUK Staff
OP
Stock is here a day early, so I shall hold this pre-order price until Monday but the cards are shipping now. :)

Shall post some photos up shortly. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Pics attached:-

photo2wp.jpg

photoue.jpg

photo1sk.jpg

Soldato
Its not false!

ATI are loosing money, they have had to drop a card vastly due to having overstocks in the channel, that cost money, which results in loosing money.

So in what way is it a false statement?

If they can sell product into me at $290 but then have to drop to say $250 to shift the stock, they are indeed loosing money.

The person who really looses out big time is the board partner, because they are selling at a loss unless AMD help them out financially.

It is unlikley that ATI/AMD are losing money on these cards. It is more likely the AIB losing money (or at least a reduced profit margin) selling off surplus stock. They would have bought the GPU's from ATI quite a while ago with the assumption that they would sell (not realising Nvidia would so aggressive on pricing).

Still this is a good price for a "cheap nasty" VTX HD5870....

Soldato
Its not false!

ATI are loosing money, they have had to drop a card vastly due to having overstocks in the channel, that cost money, which results in loosing money.

So in what way is it a false statement?

If they can sell product into me at $290 but then have to drop to say $250 to shift the stock, they are indeed loosing money.

The person who really looses out big time is the board partner, because they are selling at a loss unless AMD help them out financially.

Because it's not AMD selling the cards it's VTX, VTX would buy an allocation of chips these chips would have been produced pre 6800 series. You really think VTX or AMD are making a loss even a 5870 @ circa £200 both parties will still have made profit.

Soldato
It is unlikley that ATI/AMD are losing money on these cards. It is more likely the AIB losing money (or at least a reduced profit margin) selling off surplus stock. They would have bought the GPU's from ATI quite a while ago with the assumption that they would sell (not realising Nvidia would so aggressive on pricing).

Still this is a good price for a "cheap nasty" VTX HD5870....

+1 i think VTX cards look very cheap and tacky

Soldato
I am always sceptical of these mega deals just a few days prior to a big new card launch, sure it's a good price for a card in this performance sector but just how much better will the new cards be?

If I was able to pick up a 6950 for £229 which will be a brand new range and had the same or better performance for less wattage and probably from a better AIB then I'd say these are only a bargain if you are super impatient. :)

EDIT: Gibbo please check your competitors, not going to say prices but XFX 5870 in stock for pretty much the same price. (a lot less when yours goes up to in stock price, Delete this if you want)

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
right ok. how much will the 6950 be? it's supposed to be out round the 13th of december.
if it's expensivie it will make the price of 5870 cheaper?

Radeon 5870s will be going at this and a lower price as soon as 6950s hit the shelves in significant numbers. The latter are expected to be sold for £250-270 but that can change any time before the launch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Given the price of these out going 5870's I'd be very surprised to see the majority of Etailors pricing the 6950 too close until the stock is cleared, I would say £249 would make a good price point until availability of the new cards increased and the old cards decreased.

Take in to account the fight for the Holiday Season business and you can expect some very aggressive offers from the manufacturers pushing pretty big discounts for suppliers. I'd expect to see a £199-229 6950 about a month from now, and GTX 480's to be down at £229-249.

Back
Top Bottom