*Epic* Nostalgic Old Skool Build Logs Thread - (Socket A / 754 / 939 / 478 / 775)

Associate
Hi All

So... I have decided to share within the project logs sub-forum a nostalgic driven journey (which has borderline become an obsession) for collecting old skool hardware components, over say the past 18 months or so, with the view to one day doing some epic old skool builds, with original cases / mods / air & water cooling and of course componetry from the 2000-2006 era. Well that day has come, and it's started. There's a huge way to go yet, but thats just the reason to start the thread now.

My effort and dedication for obsolete hardware (by todays standards) is driven by a motivation to re-create builds that i could only have dreamt of affording 10+ years ago, when i first got into building pc's.

All components have been selected for their at the time top-of-the-range specs, and what enthusiasts at the time were plumping for and demanding. This includes of course a variety of DFI Lanparty motherboards, BH-5 / TCCD DDR Ram and various graphics cards such as 9800 Pro / 9800XT to name but a few.

I actually have at this moment in time 1 pc built and complete. This is fully working, has Windows XP installed, and has a host of old skool games installed such as Return to Castle Wolfenstein, C&C Generals, Unreal Tournament GOTY, CS 1.6, Medal of Honour, Quake etc basically all games which were fitting for it's period. This particular pc pays tribute to a lan cafe my uncle had during the years of approx. 2000-2003. However in late 2003 i think it was, broadband finally made it to the town where the lan cafe existed, and within a matter of months it was out of business as people could now game in the comfort of their own homes and with decent pings. However, more on this build and its background to follow.

I have another which is built, and is in the process of having windows etc installed.

So, you might be wondering what's the end outcome to all of this? I don't actually know to be honest... all i know is i am going to build around 8 nostalgic PC's, overclock them all to buggery, and re-create the excitement of doing all this as if they were brand new, then probably get bored when i realise they aren't much good for anything else these days, and so i will probably just admire them whilst they sit there looking all pretty.

By the way, this isn't just going to be a slap it all together type thing. Everything is literally going to be stripped down to the barebones, thoroughly cleaned and polished (I have an air compressor), modified (i have a dremel) and all the internal wires sorted, sleeved & routed in the most OCD driven way. There will also be LED's and neons and UV reactive stuff along the way. Again the principle is to re-create the modding scene relevant to that period. I even have a load of all watercooling kits from the likes of Asetek, Thermaltake (Big Water's etc) and a couple of the original Zalman Reserators, which is fitting for the period where watercooling was just starting to make it on the scene in a big way and get wide acceptance, basically when decent kits that weren't a bodge with Eheim pumps started to surface!

Some may call be crazy, but the motivation and dedication required to keep a build log thread such as this going, is to give others satisfaction and the chance to reminisce on the exciting glory days of enthusiast hardware and overclocking.

So, without much further a-do, let's start with a couple of pictures of the spare room shall we, to get an idea of the sheer epic nature and extent of the collection of hardware and cases which i've managed to get hold of thus far (and still looking for more bits too!)

The stack of various motherboards i've got (ignore what's on the boxes, most of whats inside is different)

http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/xplo00/media/IMG_0462_1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

Boxes and bits everywhere. The storage boxes are FULL up with GFX cards, Ram, CPU's, sound cards, various hardware of all nature.

http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/xplo00/media/IMG_0464_1.jpg.html

An overview of all the cases i've collected. Bare in mind, with the exception of a couple of these cases, these all have builds already inside of them in addition to everything else you can see!

http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/xplo00/media/IMG_0465_1.jpg.html

Finally, it would only be fitting to give a breakdown of *some* of the list of parts i've got.... not exhaustive but what will get the attention enthusiasts from this period...

Motherboards
2x ABIT NF7-S V2.0 (one's going to get VDD modded for hopefully 250fsb)
2x ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
2x DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D SLI (S939)
DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B (currently faulty...:mad: looking for another board)
DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb (S754)
DFI Lanparty PRO875B (S478)
DFI Lanparty RDX200 CF-DR (S939 - Crossfire version of SLI Ultra-D)
DFI Lanparty 875P-T (S775 - AGP & DDR support)
ABIT IC7 (S478 - looking for the MAX3 version)
Asrock 939Dual-Sata2

RAM
Corsair XMS3200XLPT (TCCD)
Corsair XMS3200XLPRO (TCCD with flashing lights:cool:)
Mushkin Level II PC3500 (BH-5:cool:awesome)
Corsair XMS3200XL (more TCCD)
Corsair XMS3500LLPRO (Infineon Rev B)
OCZ Gold PC3200 EL 2-2-2-5 (BH-5)
2GB Mushkin Redline XP4000 Red Heatspreaders (Infineon Rev C & Brainpower PCB)
2GB Mushkin Redline XP4000 Black Heatspreaders (Infineon Rev C & Brainpower PCB)
2x 2GB kits G.Skill F1 2GBHZ PC4000 (Infineon Rev C)
And.... the best bit, a brand new OCZ DDR Booster :cool: that was still for sale as brand new from the states start of this year:confused::p

GFX & CPU's
Far far too many to list but some classics and some of my faves

Geforce 3 Ti500
Geforce 4 Ti4200
9800 Pro
ASUS 9800XT

Loads Athlon XP Barton Mobiles, various steppings, inc. 3x ultra rare 1.35v 35w models, which *should* be top quality die and do some awesome overclocks. One of them is from 2005 so one of the last, so hopefully yield and die should be even better for clocking.
Loads of Athlon 64 X2's (Toledo cores)
And the daddy.... FX-60, which still has its original box.
Opteron 175 / 180 / 185

I think that's about it for now, my brain is frazzled. Look forward to more updates soon, inc. the 2x builds i have completed.

If a couple people find this awesome and it brings back some nostalgic memories from the glory days of overclocking and attending lanparty's, then it was worth doing this threa :)

BTW - if anybody has some hardware laying around that you think might will be useful to keep this project going, and is relevant to the theme/the above (as if i don't have enough already) then please let me know, because if you also have access to MM (in keeping with forum rules) i'm sure you could post it up there and you will have some interest (me!) - this is assuming this thread doesn't motivate people into firing up old rigs!

Anywho - thanks and bye for now :)

P.s. i can't seem to get thumbnail previews working for the images, any tips, or can somebody give me the correct code?

Associate
OP
Same here Lewis. I'm going to earmark one of the rigs for a 98SE build. Probably one of my spare A7N8X-E and run it at stock, just for stability.

What games you running with it? Wouldn't it help to have abit more ram and a faster cpu? What's the motherboard you have?

Soldato
Same here Lewis. I'm going to earmark one of the rigs for a 98SE build. Probably one of my spare A7N8X-E and run it at stock, just for stability.

What games you running with it? Wouldn't it help to have abit more ram and a faster cpu? What's the motherboard you have?

I won "MSI Socket A 462 Motherboard CPU RAM Bundle AMD Athlon 256MB Heat Sink" on an auction site for £5. Bit of a gamble as to what was arriving but it had a backplate and I had already sourced drivers. To be honest all it has run so far is GTA1. Theme hospital and dungeon keeper. Although I cant seem to get the windows version of DK to run properly.

I would like to find a heatsink for it as the stock one is SO LOUD!

Associate
OP
Sounds decent. If you were to start a thread in the wanted section of MM i could hook you up with a faster cpu, more ram and probably even a better cpu cooler thats quieter for just the cost of postage.

Associate
OP
So... photos are lacking at the moment. I will keep you in suspense for those as i will want to write some words to go with them, but dont quite have time for the moment. This is for rig #1 (completely built and finished) and rig #2 (finished the build, installed windows, but still tweaking with it)

Build #2 spec wise looks something like this at the moment (few things i want to change though)

Lian Li Aluminium PC-61 with Side Window in Black (its in great condition!)
Abit NF7-S v2.0
Athlon XP-M Barton its special, low voltage 1.35v version, 35w TDP
2x 512MB Corsair XMS3200XL PRO (TCCD)
ASUS 9800XT
Corsair HX450w Modular
Zalman CNPS7000 Copper Flower

It looks neat. And i've just started to OC it to see what it can do. I've hit a wall though, at 219fsb. I need to do the VDD mod to get some more volts to the northbridge. Currently maxed out at 1.7v in bios. Im needing more like 2v to get anywhere close to my target of 250fsb. I'd be happy and settle with 240fsb which is probably more realistic but we'll see.

I'm just researching fine tip soldering irons for this type of work, and will be ordering soon to undertake the mod. Also i had planned to keep the CNPS7000, but things are getting abit toasty already, so i'll be whipping that out and sticking a Thermaltake BigWater kit in there at some point.

Also want an X1950 Pro (AGP) to go with it but they are rocking horse. Theres a few sapphires on the bay but i want a red PCB one.

Im upto 219*11.5 to give 2520mhz which is respectable for air cooling, at 1.85v. Temps are around 55c load, and it passed 30mins of prime. Atleast i know if it cant do 8 hours of prime it just needs some more volts, but its pretty stable so a sign of good things

Cant get it stable at 2600mhz+ at the moment though (219*12), have gone all the way up to 2v (actual) and it still struggled to get into windows. Only dabbled with it for 30mins tho, more tweaking needed, and watercooling needed for this speed, as was uncomfortable with 2v on air. 1.85v on air is my max, and it looks like 2500mhz is acheivable with that.

My current urgent shopping list is

X1950 Pro AGP (NOT a sapphire version)
DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B Socket A/462
Pentium 4 Gallatin EE Socket 478 (Northwood)

These few bits are holding up some progress in other areas, but i just cant source them at the moment..... or for the last few months!

Soldato
I never liked those ABits!

The DFI with a decent BIOS would manage 250 (somewhere there is still a post on and old site of my joining "the 4k club"!), however those capacitors will be a bit old now but good luck anyway! Lol at the OCZ RAM Booster - i think i still have mine somewhere.

Fond memories of the Barton/Northwood days. 10x250 @ 2-2-2-5 1:1 :)

Associate
OP
Once you get to know they're quirks they are alright. I would love to tinker with the DFI but i just cannot find a working one. I bought a faulty one recently to try and bring it back to life, had 4 leds of death (usually corrupt bios) i've tried literally everything, final resort was hot swapping bios and flashing various chips with various revisions of bios, no go.

But yes i understand they hit 250 fairly easily.

Trying to find the modded bios's of yesteryear for these DFI's and ABIT's on google appears nigh on impossible, but i need to try and land them to really push on in the OC dept.

Yet to use the DDR booster, hopefully it works, well its brand new, but still been sitting in a box for 10+ years!

Capacitors on all my boards of this era are all gravy. If any start to leak i will just whip them off and replace them

Back
Top Bottom