Best labtop for around £200

Soldato
I'm after a small cheap and cheerful laptop for my wife, she'll mostly use it for Browsng, media, office and some lite gaming.

I've googled but my head spins with the huge array of laptops! I'd like something with a i3 or a great performing Atom CPU and a screen no bigger than 13" any suggestions?

Associate
I'm after a small cheap and cheerful laptop for my wife, she'll mostly use it for Browsng, media, office and some lite gaming.

I've googled but my head spins with the huge array of laptops! I'd like something with a i3 or a great performing Atom CPU and a screen no bigger than 13" any suggestions?

I've got no specific model to recommend, but look out for one with a minimum of 4gb of memory. Many cheaper laptops only come with 2gb, and in my experience Windows 10 struggles with that.

Soldato
What kind of games will your wife be playing ?

If your budget is around £200.00 you maybe better off sticking to a really good Android Tablet rather than a really poor windows laptop.

I managed to get a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro from the Rain Forest on a warehouse deal. Fantastic 10" Screen, long battery life and great for Android gaming.

Soldato
OP
She has a iPad already and really wants a traditional laptop/notebook with fixed screen and keyboard for mainly doing her work on (Libreoffice) games would be pretty simple god type affairs, don't ask me to be too specific as I don't pay a lot of attention!

I was originally looking at The HP Stream as it looks nice (girly) but the CPU and 2GB ram lets it down, Ideally 4GB i3 Skylake would be spot on but this combination doesn't seem to exist in my budget below a 15" screen. Storage isn't really an issue, she doesn't install much and I could increase it for her if needed.

I could stretch the budget a little for say a better IPS screen or even higher res than the standered 1366 x 768. Again not ultra important :)

Soldato
OP
Still looking and after having a play with a Acer 11.6" N3050 I know these cheap ones aren't enough. It wasn't quick enough and the screen was terrible. I've had a ASUS Transformer Book with Z8500 and that felt quicker than the N3050 and the screen was fantastic.

Ideally my minimum specs would now be 11.6" IPS screen, Z8500 CPU, 4GB Ram and 120GB SSD

Soldato
you might try the linx 12" tablet/laptop, 4GB/64GB/FHD/win10 saw them at £200 in JS today (unfortunately also now on hotuk)
Was looking to see if their was already a dedicated thread - linx 10 I picked up last year in JS too has worked well 2GB/16GB/1280

... but I would probably go refurbed dell say, too.

Soldato
OP
you might try the linx 12" tablet/laptop, 4GB/64GB/FHD/win10 saw them at £200 in JS today (unfortunately also now on hotuk)
Was looking to see if their was already a dedicated thread - linx 10 I picked up last year in JS too has worked well 2GB/16GB/1280

... but I would probably go refurbed dell say, too.

I was thinking about a 2 in 1 as for some reason they do come with better screens than similar priced laptops. I found a 10.8" Dell Venue Pro with Z8500, 4GB, 128GB and FHD refurb for under £150 but doesn't come with keyboard and from what I gather are quite expensive also the Dell doesn't do very well in reviews.

But yeah a minimum spec of say z8500, 4GB and 64GB storage would also be suitable but must have a keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom