Another gaming laptop advice thread!

Associate
OP
Laptop arrived. Not had chance to set it up yet as I've a 2 year old pegging it around lol.
No nvidia code for batman :( but judging by it's port it's no real loss.

Associate
OP
Quick question. Can I swap out the normal 1TB hdd in this for a ssd drive. If so is there any particular type I need.

Associate
Quick question. Can I swap out the normal 1TB hdd in this for a ssd drive. If so is there any particular type I need.

I kinda lost track of what you bought but yes, you can switch HDDs out and fit whatever 2.5" SATA drive you want in that bay.

If it's a GT72, from memory that SATA port only runs at 3Gb/s as it is SATA2. Though I would not necessarily buy an older SATA2 (if you can find them) drive because of this, just letting you know.

Associate
OP
Thanks mate. Yes I ended up going for the GT72 2qe 806

Impressions so far.

Build quality and aesthetics are excellent.
Keyboard, trackpad and mouse buttons are all very responsive and have a nice feel to them.

Speakers are really good and give nice feedback. One thing I was surprised about was the weight of the laptop. I've read plenty of reviews and they have been a bit dramatic saying it weighs a ton and you wouldn't want this on your lap. Lol I previously had an alienware 14 and that didn't feel much lighter. For me it feels well built.

Software wise it's Windows 8.1 as standard and comes pre installed with some msi software which is ok if you find the need for it and it's easily uninstalled if not. The Dragon gaming centre program is pretty good and lists info like gpu temps, fan speed and allow for certain settings to be changed.

Did I say it's quick? Its very quick. Lovely ssd's Boots from cold to desktop in around 8 seconds. Seamless transition from my alienware 14 which was the same.

Display wise I'm very happy with it. This area seemed to be a con in many reviews I've read and for me I can't see any problems in display quality. Granted I've only my last laptop to compare it to and haven't experienced these other screens available on other laptops, so for me it's all good.

Due to my limited time I've so far only had chance to try a few games. Crysis 3 was first up and by default everything was maxed out and ran like a dream. Very impressed with it.

Watchdogs was the same. Again very impressed.
Finally batman origins was a similar experience. Oh and I played Euro truck simulator 2 (don't judge it's a great game)

This leads me to my only negative. The fan noise is a tad loud under load. Now I did have the volume low as my kids were in bed so this could be a non issue. Temps were fine. Reaching around 70c after 30 mins on crysis 3 and the overall unit felt surprisingly cool.

Sorry I know it's a bit all over the place above as I'm typing on my phone as I think of it.

Associate
Nice summary, addyb. Thanks for that!

Yeah it seems the high fan noise is pretty much standard on these types of laptops under load, and the noise will be so much more noticable when it's quiet around you. I was wondering if it's possible to have water cooling in a laptop but i'd imagine they would need to be significantly larger. Which is starting to defeat the point of having one. :D

Associate
OP
I have now realised that by default the GT72 was set to sports mode which ramps the fan speed up. May well be needed for games like crysis 3 but I'll do some testing later in comfort mode and see what performance is like and noise levels.

Associate
Display wise I'm very happy with it. This area seemed to be a con in many reviews I've read and for me I can't see any problems in display quality.

...Oh and I played Euro truck simulator 2 (don't judge it's a great game).....

The reviews you read are probably from initial release when they had a TN panel fitted. Shortly after there was a refresh and they came with IPS panels.

Also, don't worry about ETS2, you're not alone.

Associate
OP
Sooo long story short I need another laptop.

Budget wise I'm happy with a 1060 gpu and not too fussed whether its a 15.6 or 17.3 screen. Looking to spend no more than £1500 and less if I can really.

So far for the money the Asus Rog GL702 or the G752 seem to be best.

Any thoughts on these peeps?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Sooo long story short I need another laptop.

Budget wise I'm happy with a 1060 gpu and not too fussed whether its a 15.6 or 17.3 screen. Looking to spend no more than £1500 and less if I can really.

So far for the money the Asus Rog GL702 or the G752 seem to be best.

Any thoughts on these peeps?

Hi addyb,

The best bang for buck specs with GTX1060 are these two from our Gigabyte range:

15.6" - P55W (stock due today)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ps-led-i7-6700hq-gaming-laptop-lt-07g-gi.html

17.3" - P57W

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...-intel-i7-6700hq-gaming-laptop-lt-07j-gi.html

Both the same chassis, but with the P57W you have the ability to remove the optical bay and switch to caddy (supplied with notebook) which will accept additional 512GB SSD or 2TB HDD.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
OP
Like I said long story but due to circumstances I sold it and built a mini gaming pc but as commitments with work etc have now changed again I need another gaming laptop.

To be honest I'm more than likely going for the Asus GL702. For £1349 it has no match price wise over spec imo.

Back
Top Bottom