DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
OP
MSI UK Notebook said:
MSI Insists on Perfection of User Experience
UK Pascal Trade-Upgrade Program
MSI always strives to achieve the most innovative designs and the best user experience with its gaming notebooks, especially on the flagship level products, the GT series. We strive for reliability, stability and durability in all of our products and in all of our users’ experiences.
We use our MXM removable graphics card design to prevent heat transfer to the motherboard, to make repairs or replacements to the card more easily, and to give our users the opportunity to upgrade from GeForce® GTX 8 series to GeForce® GTX 9 series, thanks to both GPUs being of Maxwell Core design with the same signal and output interface.
The MXM graphics card layout of the GeForce GTX 10 series was a completely new core design called “Pascal,” which has significant changes in terms of signal design, interface design and power consumption. In addition, we observed problems with software compatibility and found that beta drivers are the only option. Based on our design of the GT72 4xx series and 6xx series and the GT80 series, implementing an MXM upgrade to the GTX 10 series would require, among other things, a new MXM module, cooling module, and display panel, and likely result in unsatisfactory display (either flickering or no display at all).
The most cost effective way to upgrade to our GTX 10 series and achieve performance gain, stability and reliability is to participate in our trade-upgrade program, through which users of the GT72 and GT80 with GeForces® GTX 8 and 9 series can upgrade to a brand new current generation GeForce® GTX 10 series laptop by trading in their existing qualifying* product. This upgrade will allow users to enjoy the latest MSI features, such as Cooler Boost and Dragon Center, and is available at costs comparable to previous MXM upgrades.
*This trade-upgrade program is available only for users in the UK and is subject to certain limitations. For more information regarding the UK trade-upgrade program, please contact: [email protected]. For users in other countries, please contact your local MSI branch.
Please note - if you have already contacted us - your request is being looked into and you will receive a reply before the 21st of December with details of what you can upgrade too. If you have NOT already contacted us, then please email [email protected].
This will be the only trade in program available for your 9xx GPU to 10 series GPU. It's imperative that you register your interest before the 31st of December.
No other solution will be offered at this time.
The MSI UK NOTEBOOK Team.

MSI Insists on Perfection of User Experience

No other solution will be offered at this time.

Because that's how you achieve Perfection of User Experience?

Does anyone else think that it's odd that Loki can respond in an hour when he is attempting (wrongly) to criticise my post, but unable to respond in 8 hours when asked direct questions?

I'll be succinct, Loki/MSI please answer the following questions:

Emailed the following questions to MSI UK, if they can be bothered to answer I will post their response.

1, Will the program be weighted in any way to the value of my notebook or will it be as per the released statement "at costs comparable to previous MXM upgrades"?
2, Which specific "previous MXM upgrades" will the program be based upon?
3, What is MSI UK Notebook offering in regards to the next generation of GPU upgrade? (MSI USA have advised North American customers that they can either keep their existing notebooks and trade for the next generation or trade now to Pascal and then trade that notebook to the next generation of GPU).
4, Please provide a cost breakdown of upgrading to GT73VR with GTX1070, GT73VR with GTX1080, GT73VR with GTX1070 SLI, GT83VR with GTX1070 SLI and GT83VR with GTX1080 SLI.
With all major components matched like for like, CPU, memory, GPU, HDD, SSD, GPU and screen etc which is most similar in features to the GT72 2QE, the GT72VR or the GT73VR?
5, If MSI Insists on Perfection of User Experience, how do you explain ending the announcement with "No other solution will be offered at this time." If this offered solution is not best providing Perfection of User Experience, why no other solution will be offered?

Regards,

Andy

So I rehashed the above questions and sent to Loki: Got another reply refusing to provide the information until the offers are made.

Yet when we were asked by MSI for information before any details of the trade-upgrade program were announced, we provided that information willingly.

What a shame MSI can't treat it's customers with the respect we foolish give to them.

Associate
OP
SO Loke/Neil at MSI has sent a pedantic reply stating he has not refused to provide the information requested, guess what?

1ZY4FvR.jpg

Associate
I've been following thread for a while now, I've sent/received over 30 emails and a few phone calls since probably sometime in October after I noticed the USA had a trade in.

This is getting ridiculous, how long will this take to resolve? It's almost like MSI have all been told not to speak to us, first Nat then Aj is no longer dealing with this issue...

I've been passed from pillar to post, I would advise not to buy an MSI product again.

Go for Asus they are 2% below them in the notebook market, lets close this gap so MSI can't make this claim, might be 2% in sales, but -100% in customer service.

I'm questioning do I even want to give MSI another penny of my money? Should I sell my laptop put some cash and get a Asus or other brand?

Unless the price is the same as a new gfx card (minus the cost I could sell my old card) I am unwilling to budge and will be taking this further alongside anyone else that wants to join me. I am NOT paying for CPU/RAM/SCREEN etc upgrades that I didn't want, you said GPU upgrade, I want the GPU upgrade but only to pay for that as that was THE DEAL.

I've been told I'm getting an offer next week, but I've been told that every week pretty much...

I even rang MSI once and got hold of this dopy kid that didn't seem to know a thing about MSI or it's products and basically said he couldn't help me...

never had an issue like this with any company I've purchased off....

Associate
OP
I've been following thread for a while now, I've sent/received over 30 emails and a few phone calls since probably sometime in October after I noticed the USA had a trade in.

This is getting ridiculous, how long will this take to resolve? It's almost like MSI have all been told not to speak to us, first Nat then Aj is no longer dealing with this issue...

I've been passed from pillar to post, I would advise not to buy an MSI product again.

Go for Asus they are 2% below them in the notebook market, lets close this gap so MSI can't make this claim, might be 2% in sales, but -100% in customer service.

I'm questioning do I even want to give MSI another penny of my money? Should I sell my laptop put some cash and get a Asus or other brand?

Unless the price is the same as a new gfx card (minus the cost I could sell my old card) I am unwilling to budge and will be taking this further alongside anyone else that wants to join me. I am NOT paying for CPU/RAM/SCREEN etc upgrades that I didn't want, you said GPU upgrade, I want the GPU upgrade but only to pay for that as that was THE DEAL.

I've been told I'm getting an offer next week, but I've been told that every week pretty much...

I even rang MSI once and got hold of this dopy kid that didn't seem to know a thing about MSI or it's products and basically said he couldn't help me...

never had an issue like this with any company I've purchased off....

I am trying to establish facts about the trade-upgrade program and keep running into a brick wall.

If (and that's a really forking big IF) I take the trade upgrade it is likely to be the last MSI product I ever own. Such a complete lack of understanding from a multinational business is unacceptable.

MSI has been given the information by their customers how to resolve this. As the quoted post above states, at the cost of the new GPU less the value of the existing card. That's not rocket science.

@tropical, I hear you. I am possibly the most vocal person about this situation in the UK, I sincerely hope MSI fix this for us all.

Caporegime
Pretty poor this.

Surely an email, or announcement stating "we don't know what were doing yet, bare with us while we come up with a resolution" I mean it doesn't take that long to either A.Come up with one or B. State that they aren't going to do anything about it.

At least it would give some sort of conclusion.

Poor show by the MSI reps too. Surely MSI have a standard response been issued to them. Seems a bit of a shambles.

Associate
believe me I'm pretty vocal also :p

I've sent many emails, even advising going to an ombudsman or small claims etc doesn't even phase them, they don't care.

I even emailed several directors / ceo @ MSI in UK and have yet to receive a reply, usually CEO/Director at any business either replies the same week or has a team of "escalated query" people to deal with these direct contacts.

All I've had is quotes like "I'm just doing what I'm told" or "this is the most cost effective solution" - last one made me laugh, cost effective? for MSI or your customer?

And yea, this is 100% the last MSI product I ever own, not even a £1 mouse mat in a half price sale would tempt me as a spur of the moment purchase....

Associate
I'm not posting email addresses here; too much risk of someone's work inbox getting spammed unfairly (it's MSI not the particular employee that should get the brunt of our emails). Also most forums don't allow posting of other people's emails addresses, general inboxes only...

I will however note all MSI emails follow the format of [email protected] in general, so if you do a quick Google "CEO UK Director MSI" something along those lines or try linkedin search for people at MSI you will find these names easy and can email them directly. (if you receive undeliverable you know it's not a legit email).

Associate
I've also sent an email to the MSI CEO and referenced this thread more than a week ago, not a response from them, they couldn't are less if you ask me.

Associate
OP
I've also sent an email to the MSI CEO and referenced this thread more than a week ago, not a response from them, they couldn't are less if you ask me.

If you emailed Frank, I emailed him a while back. The email was forwarded to Natalie. She told me that Frank was MSI components and not connected with MSI notebooks. Not sure I believe her....

If anyone gets a response/offer please post it in this thread.

Cheers.:p

Associate
Associate
OP

1st link returns an error:

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Request has expired</Message>
<Expires>2016-12-08T16:25:30Z</Expires>
<ServerTime>2016-12-08T16:42:49Z</ServerTime>
<RequestId>603E79127294C657</RequestId>
<HostId>
YTWnIZ9XCdlVoMVDLhBSdAhWB/DwCB/dxN210pKXcITRHoJpY2HoVHTUhP0nBqO/WFspb+RYtXg=
</HostId>
</Error>

2nd link, is where I got Frank's name. Oddly he's a contact of mine on linkedin.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/frank-chen-32482161

Managing Director
MSI Computer (UK) Ltd.
February 2010 – Present (6 years 11 months)United Kingdom

(All of the above is publicly available information).

Associate
Yea hopefully we don't need a 300+ page forum thread like the USA to get some faster action.

I've been promised a price next week, but if I don't get it or it's not good enough then I think a few of us should join up and launch a join complaint to the relevant parties...

Also we perhaps need to try and make the maximum people aware of this issue, some owners are probably not aware they are getting ripped or even aware they are doing the trade in...

I just hate this idea of an "individual" offer, it should be a fixed price if you have model A then to upgrade to model B = X amount - that way, no one gets a better price (I'm assuming the more you contest/argue the better price you will get) however some consumers, especially british people don't complain enough to get what they are entitled too, sure they grumble but only to themselves usually....

Associate
Few extracts from various emails;

"http://event.msi.com/nb/2016/ukgttradein/

I have given you an explanation & the offering.

If you do not wish to proceed when we send you an offer, then please ignore our email."

Basically if you don't like the offer then p**s off, it should be an offer, you promised us something at the point of purchase then have changed it/unable to provide as you didn't future proof the laptop enough to support a new graphics gen.

also strange franks linked in still says director of msi computer uk, yet it says he resigned as the director?

I'd advise anyone thats been affected to leave public reviews on Twitter/Facebook/Social Media - sadly this seems to be the only way to get quicker/better resolutions these days when the companies are in the limelight... (and that doesn't mean spam it, a simple low rating and a one liner about your experience should do the trick.

https://www.facebook.com/MSINotebookUK/
https://twitter.com/MSINotebookUK

going to drop a post on jsp also (large forum - Total Posts: 510,510,670
Total Members: 872,782)

ive been a member of jsp gaming forum since 2005, i have 26,000+ posts so I know a few people there also part of the donor forum

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yea hopefully we don't need a 300+ page forum thread like the USA to get some faster action.

I've been promised a price next week, but if I don't get it or it's not good enough then I think a few of us should join up and launch a join complaint to the relevant parties...

Also we perhaps need to try and make the maximum people aware of this issue, some owners are probably not aware they are getting ripped or even aware they are doing the trade in...

I just hate this idea of an "individual" offer, it should be a fixed price if you have model A then to upgrade to model B = X amount - that way, no one gets a better price (I'm assuming the more you contest/argue the better price you will get) however some consumers, especially british people don't complain enough to get what they are entitled too, sure they grumble but only to themselves usually....

The USA deal pretty much sucks when you compare it to the cost of upgrading via MXM.

Yeah, agreed the individual offer is a complete **** take. Existing GPU value = X new GPU value = Y, Y - X = price you pay. It's not even complicated, there's only 3 GPU's to upgrade from, and only 3 GPU's to upgrade to. Total amount of prices 9.

However, as already demonstrated by MSI's, specifically Loki/Neil's refusal to provide the information about the program when asked for it, suggests something nefarious is going on.

I wonder how long this will take before it starts to affect MB/GPU/All in one sales?

Associate
Probably talking with lawyers seeing what they can get away with

Either that or stalling until Christmas sales are done, 31St Dec deadline and new laptop in jan

Associate
Ok so, price of a GPU upgrade lets add some details....

I was advertised GPU upgradeability, which would surely involved GPU only if laptop had been built to support it, it should have been a straight install, no additional parts basically plug and play DIY (maybe some disassemble/reassemble due to their layed design which requires a rebuild even to install some ram on other side, or change the keyboard for example).

So my old 980m card as an example should be worth; currently 24 bids at £390 with 3 days left so it will reach higher no doubt.... approx. 450-500£ I've seen these go for (bare in mind if we had done upgrade earlier 980m would be depreciated less than it is now due to newer cards only just came out).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NVIDEA-Ge...331403?hash=item360e40564b:g:22MAAOSwa~BYSE8c

Can't find a 1080 card for sale right now, but lets look at desktop prices about £600-900, mobile cards typically cost more so lets go top end at £900.

Lets include for arguments sake £20 shipping, and lets assume MSI do the upgrade so labour costs idk about 1 hour to install this at what £80 per hour? (trained professional rate? idk estimate here).

Soooo.....

£900 new card
-£450 old card
£80 labour
£20 postage/insurance

= about £550, that wasn't so hard was it to price an upgrade?

however look at the 880 to 980 upgrade kit - approx. £600, now minus my graphics card at £450 resale value = £150 (yea 1080 is more powerful and costs more perhaps so range this from 150-250 + labour/postage).

But if we are doing a trade in program and not a graphics card upgrade, the equivalent price should be match as an upgrade as that's what we were advertised and signed up for.... therefore in my case surely an trade in should be about £150-£250 (100 more if I include labour/postage if I didn't do the upgrade myself). The trade in is not a favour to us, but merely a way of MSI honouring what they promised/advertised, anything less than doing this or overcharging us for the privilege should be a breach of some form of advertising law.

Any other additional costs in offering a trade in with newer CPU/RAM etc should be paid for and offset/absorbed by MSI for this c**k up and not charged to their customer.

edit: the current value of my laptop should not enter the equation or the value of the new laptop, prices MUST be based on prices of past MXM upgrade kits and the prices of graphics card only minus the current resale value of the old card (note resale value at the time of when we should have upgraded not several months down the line).

Last edited:
Soldato
Did anyone ask the price before buying?

Surely among all the buyers someone thought wise to ask how much it would be, I mean it wouldn't be cheap so someone must have asked

Also, you can see on ebay the values of 980m's being sold previous, £360, £375, £320 etc. Just more credible than a current listing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom