Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Associate
Tempted to give this Dell TN a try but I'm a IPS nut.

What concerns me is people saying use a ICC profile or alter the gamma in the nvidia control panel. From what I understand I read frequently is games completely ignore them settings so unless you're tweaking for desktop they are pointless changes for games as it will just revert to the default setup before the change. Has this changed now?, last I read the only way was to use software to try force it (causes problems or doesn't work) or the monitor has it own hardware memory to store profiles etc so software reads from that instead.

Other than that I'm sick and tired of trying to get a high refresh ips without problems, the aou panel is a disaster. I know this probably gets asked a lot, but anyone from a ips mainly back ground say this is worth trying?, worried about the gamma though as I mentioned above.
Not entirely.

The ICC profile might be ignored, but it's the adjustments done to the monitor that really make the difference.

I ended up having to drop the brightness to 28% and the R/G/B values slightly to get a good calibration. I used an i1 Display Pro.

Brightness = 28%
R = 98%
G = 100%
B = 95%

I played a few rounds of Doom and really enjoyed the screen. A great experience compared to my older monitor which is an Dell U2711 IPS which I've been using for the last 5 years. 144Hz and 1ms is really easy on the eyes when playing an FPS. I was pleasantly surprised as i wasn't expecting much to be honest.

With that being said if i want to be picky; comparing the two screen (U2711 and S2716DG) I would say that the S2716DG is still very bright and slightly washed out, but it's nothing I would notice if I didn't have it setting next to the high end IPS screen.

Associate
I found the digital vibrancy setting someone in here mentioned that you set in the Nvidia control panel made the monitor punch a bit more with the TFT central ICC profile. Before that I too thought it was washed out.

Associate
Anyone else have some weird ghosting on their monitor? Noticed it when playing csgo. If I was to throw a grenade in the air, you'll see a shadow behind the grenade. Noticing it more when scrolling down websites too, a faint shadow/trail behind.

Hmm :/

Soldato
Anyone else have some weird ghosting on their monitor? Noticed it when playing csgo. If I was to throw a grenade in the air, you'll see a shadow behind the grenade. Noticing it more when scrolling down websites too, a faint shadow/trail behind.

I've read something about the ghosting like this, did you switch the response time to fast ? a guy on one review said to leave the response time on normal as on Fast it gives him occasional ghosting....

Man of Honour
As above if you ramp the overdrive to fast you can sometimes see some artefacts but it shouldn't be anything like that unless the panel has a fault really - never seen anything of note with normal set on my Dell.

On my 4K panel its pretty lol - on the BF4 training map if I run around inside the central building the debris on the floor look like they have shadows under them due to the overdrive heh.

Soldato

Set response time to 'Normal' in the monitor's OSD menu.

Associate
So, having taken note of what happens, if I deliberately put the computer to sleep the monitor wakes up fine. If I let the computer go to sleep because I stopped using it the monitor doesn't wake up unless I press computer reset button. Anyone else have this issue and how did they get around it other than set the time for the computer to sleep to a long period which is defeating the object of it sleeping and saving energy etc.

Disabling the Deep Sleep or whatever it's called on the Monitor OSD fixed this for me.

Bump for anyone who snapped this up over Black Friday period and find this issue really annoying. Other then that, the panel I received didn't have any issues, really happy with my purchase.

uZi

uZi

Associate
Arrived today and it seems to be fine. Colours are not exactly great next to my IPS, so will need to get them sorted out!

144hz & G-sync is like a new world in games though!

uZi

uZi

Associate
BLB for a TN? That's pretty rare isn't it? At least compared what you expect from an IPS. I can't see any though!

Last edited:
Associate
Picked one really cheap from some equatorial website. About £109 new, from and sent by them. The price went back to £520 about 20 minutes after I got it. Anyone caught that deal here? I should get it in a few days.

Last edited:
Associate
Well mine will be going back to OCUK, got a stuck pixel in the middle of the screen and a purple tinted area at the bottom middle of the screen going up which is really visible on a white screen. Hopefully my replacement will be better!

That might be problem I have now on my asus as I got 3 dead pixels so that might be the problem.

Can dead pixels have effect on performance?.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Picked one really cheap from some equatorial website. About £109 new, from and sent by them. The price went back to £520 about 20 minutes after I got it. Anyone caught that deal here? I should get it in a few days.

Ordered one Wednesday, dispatched today, arrives tomorrow.

MRuBRNL.png

They seem to keep popping up, had my Asus vg278h for 4.5 years now, will be nice having the increased res more than anything!

Back
Top Bottom