GT62VR 6RE Dominator Pro

Associate
Hi Guys,
I have just bought a GT62VR but have been looking at info online and people are saying the i7-6700HQ is shocking, so have been considering returning it and getting a custom laptop made with the same spec but with a i7-6700K from a desktop instead for £200 extra. If the CPU's are really that bad, why do they put them in the high end laptops and charge a lot of money for them.
Also a custom built laptop with a i7-6700K will last me longer with possible upgrades in the future as the CPU will be more future proof and replaceable if need be.
Is it worth the hassle?

Tom

Associate
what do you mean by "shocking" ive read a lot of reviews, especially MSI laptops and the 6700hq is touted as a very capable cpu. The vast majority of gaming laptops use the 6700hq, for good reason id imagine,ive only seen 6700k in the top end clevo models and the really high end gaming laptops.

what exactly will you be using the laptop for.

Associate
OP
what do you mean by "shocking" ive read a lot of reviews, especially MSI laptops and the 6700hq is touted as a very capable cpu. The vast majority of gaming laptops use the 6700hq, for good reason id imagine,ive only seen 6700k in the top end clevo models and the really high end gaming laptops.

what exactly will you be using the laptop for.

Gaming, browsing on the internet and general use really, I may be plugging it up externally but not a definite and if I do it will be to a higher refresh monitor. I was just searching around on custom laptop sites and saw that they do the same spec with a i7-6700K in them for around £200 more. I don't know how much of an increase in power they serve within a laptop though and they don't look as good as the MSI hahaa.

Soldato
Ive had custom built laptops and really dont rate them for plug and playability.

You have to tinker to get good temps which never made me feel comfortable for extended periods of time.

I would look at getting a laptop with a 6700hk or the 6820 if CPU power is holding you back.

That said, moving from custom built to MSI was the best thing I ever did.

Associate
are you planning on overclocking the cpu. thats the only real value in it imo, if you are overclocking you need to be aware of overheating and thermal throttling...thats why the custom laptops have MUCH larger chassis, ive heard even the clevo laptops cant handle the heat of a 6700k very well

Soldato
are you planning on overclocking the cpu. thats the only real value in it imo, if you are overclocking you need to be aware of overheating and thermal throttling...thats why the custom laptops have MUCH larger chassis, ive heard even the clevo laptops cant handle the heat of a 6700k very well

I can echo this.

I've had numerous Clevo laptops with the 6700k.

I've had to repaste and undervolt all of them in order to get temps that I felt comfortable with.

The most recent Clevo (which I returned for this MSI) hit high 90's (degrees C) during extended periods of The Witcher 3.

You can keep the temps down by running max fans but this literally sounds like a 747 is coming in to land.

Associate
OP
Cheers guys for the feedback, haven't used it yet so can't say its holding me back. No not really planning on OC, I would if I could but its no big deal. I will set the CPU to turbo though so it runs faster.

Soldato
Soldato
Hi Tommy,

I have exactly the same laptop as you, the MSI GT62VR 6RE.

You've heard that the i7-6700HQ is shocking....but how? Other than people (and its only people that have had issues, not those that are happy) being generally whiny what have you heard?

I haven't had any issues with mine. The i7-6700HQ is a great CPU from a cost/performance benefit which is why it is used in the majority of laptops on sale today.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, random forums on the internet, like you said probably people with bad experiences. Cheers Damien for that link! ;)

Last edited:
Associate
im not sure what you mean by setting the cpu to turbo, the cpu will turbo automatically when needed.

having said that im looking at getting the MSI gs73VR which is extremely thin. ive heard good things about significant heat reduction from undervolting without impacting the performance of the cpu.

Associate
Can't overclock the 6700hq only the 6820hk can overclock but I agree what others say there is nothing wrong with the 6700hq paired with the 1070 . Don't get clevo I've even constantly reading about a lot of heat and to get that heat down there is a bit of tinkering in bios and if you don't know what you are doing you can destroy the machine . Stick with the MSI and see how you get on with it , imo you won't be disappointed . They just wouldn't put it in these gaming laptops ,it's a 2.6ghz quad core that boosts upto 3.5ghz and that's plenty enough for a couple if years . I was gong to buy the 17in version but as I was planning on upgrading the ram to 32GB and SSD to 512gb that would have cost about £370 that then would bring the laptop and upgrades to £2100 so for the extra £150 I got a 120ghz screen and a 6820hk and the possibility of adding another 1070 but I know this would require professional instal due to the added extra heat pipes that would be added and the added bonus that it's super raid0 But for £2250 for 6820hk , 32GB ram , 2x256gb ram , 120hz screen and gtx1070 it will do me for a few years . The deal I got I got it with the Msi GT series back pack , neck rest , and toy , free bullgaurd ant and 2 free games . I couldn't beat it for price and imo the 1070 GPU in a laptop in 1080p or even 1440p will be great for a couple of years .

Ps sorry for spelling mistake on my phone

Last edited:
Associate
Like all locked intel CPU's you should be able to overclock it by 2 bins in XTU. BCLK overclock is also an option, along with tightening RAM timings.

The 6700HQ is pretty much on par with the 4720HQ from 2 generations ago. PassMark give the 4720HQ a score of 8042 and the 6700HQ a score of 8062.

Associate
OP
Yeah liking the laptop so far, cheers!
One thing, I have seen people are able to overclock the screen a little more, usually to around 65hz, anyone know how to do this?

Associate
ayTBarr.png

Open Nvidia Control Panel,
Select Change Resolution on the left, Click Customise,
Enable Resolutions not exposed by the display, hit Create custom resolution,
Hit the up arrow next Refresh Rate (Hz), click test.

Stop when you are happy.

Associate
OP
Does it do much damage overclocking the monitor?

Not sure mate but I have only been able to get upto 63hz so far.
Apart from this,is there anything else you would recommend I do i.e. delete or install certain software, tinker with any settings. I have already set a MSI recovery drive. :)

Associate
Nice one mate, did you say I should tick the box for enable resolutions?

Yes.

Does it do much damage overclocking the monitor?

Nope, mine will test safe at 120Hz but Nvidia control panel won't save my res over 100Hz. Sits nicely at 88Hz. The screen will go fuzzy if it's not stable and will count down 15 seconds then revert to standard Hz.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom