Budget 144hz Monitors vs my half decent 60hz monitor?

Associate
Right so ive just bought myself a nice new PC thats easilly going to handles games like overwatch/csgo/lol above 144fps. However I am currently using a Asus VE228HR which I bought January 2015, this is only 60hz.

Now I really stretched my budget to the limit but I am reading everywhere that 144hz is so much better especially for FPS. For non egotistical sakes lets just say I like to think i am competitive when it comes to playing these games. Especially FPS games, Ive been a cs gamer since 1.5.

I am reading everywhere that fast direction changes to shoot someone is so much smoother on a 144hz monitor compared to a 60hz. This I can clearly see being pretty important when it comes to cs/overwatch, not so much on lol perhaps.

I kind of just want some insight into how big a deal the change in monitor can make and if I was to buy a 144hz monitor I really would be buying the lowest budget ones ive seen at £190-220.

So am I better off sticking with my 60hz monitor until I can upgrade to a a mid range 144hz monitor or am I better off just grabbing myself a budget 144hz monitor asap, all of which seem to get fantastic reviews despite the low price tag?

Thanks in advance

Associate
The smoothness & accuracy of the mouse aim & reduced blur on a TN 144hz or above monitor is far superior for those type of games, it's not even a question to be honest. Be aware that to fully benefit you have to achieve those kind of fps which as you have said you will on the games you play. The only question left is do you care about image quality at all or not. Those cheap ones may possibly look terrible with washed out gamma etc or really grainy panels it's hard to tell without reviews. New monitors are pretty flippin fantastic though for image & the usual TN, high hz traits you want.

What is your budget if you wait a bit? Will you want g-sync/freesync or not? It seems like your dream monitor would probably be the new 240hz TN 24.5" panels or the 180hz ones. Considering your game library you probably don't care about image quality too much i guess only speed in which case you should probably get the cheapest decent quality one you can find now.

Associate
OP
You ask me these questions about wanting g-sync or freesync and if I'm honest I have no idea I guess I should read a bit more about it.

When I say I'm playing cs/league/overwatch i will still be buying some of the latest games just for casual gaming just those 3 I play competitively enough to want an edge.

The monitors I have been looking at are the

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...-1ms-gaming-widescreen-monitor-mo-068-ac.html

Or the

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ed-monitor-black-mo-053-as.html#write_comment

I didn't really want to spend more than 300 quid even if I extended my budget but feel free to tell me I'm tight and spend a bit more if you have reasoning behind it. My pc is an i7-6700 16gb ram GTX 1060 6gb. Now I understand with newish games if I'm trying to play them on high gfx settings I won't be getting anywhere close to 144fps but obviously I'm playing these new games to experience the attention to detail that I'm not fussed about with my competitive games

Associate
You ask me these questions about wanting g-sync or freesync and if I'm honest I have no idea I guess I should read a bit more about it.

When I say I'm playing cs/league/overwatch i will still be buying some of the latest games just for casual gaming just those 3 I play competitively enough to want an edge.

The monitors I have been looking at are the

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...-1ms-gaming-widescreen-monitor-mo-068-ac.html

Or the

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ed-monitor-black-mo-053-as.html#write_comment

I didn't really want to spend more than 300 quid even if I extended my budget but feel free to tell me I'm tight and spend a bit more if you have reasoning behind it. My pc is an i7-6700 16gb ram GTX 1060 6gb. Now I understand with newish games if I'm trying to play them on high gfx settings I won't be getting anywhere close to 144fps but obviously I'm playing these new games to experience the attention to detail that I'm not fussed about with my competitive games

For your competative games then g-sync is not really needed. For normal games on a GTX 1060 where your playing at around 60fps with decent settings then g-sync can make things a lot simpler to not worry about judder or tearing & even use higher settings & lose some fps with no real issue.

£380 to £400 can get you the state of the art 1080p TN g-sync ones. You can get nice gamma & colours on them, g-sync, even higher hz & no PWM backlighting which causes double imaging on motion. All in all very good image quality & the other goodies. I would personally not touch a cheap 144hz panel that is old as they were not very good. As always it's a case of you get what you pay for. If you do get one of the cheap ones buy it from where you can return it if it's not up to your standards for any reason. There is a good review here about the Asus one you mentioned with some settings you could use https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe/

Associate
OP
Thank you very much for your advice. I think I will hold out till I can afford a top end 1080 144hz monitor. The pc I mentioned will be a huge upgrade from my current q6600 and GTX 460 even with my 60hz monitor. So I will just be patient till I can afford a half decent monitor. Do you have any recommendations? Maybe if I see one on sale in January I could treat myself early :)

Associate
Thank you very much for your advice. I think I will hold out till I can afford a top end 1080 144hz monitor. The pc I mentioned will be a huge upgrade from my current q6600 and GTX 460 even with my 60hz monitor. So I will just be patient till I can afford a half decent monitor. Do you have any recommendations? Maybe if I see one on sale in January I could treat myself early :)

No problem. I think your plan sounds like a good one.
Personally if I was in the situation you are & could stretch my funds I would be tempted to get this one as it has perfect response times, very high hz, a gamma option to get circa 2.2 gamma, good colour, g-sync, ULMB, no PWM backlighting. It has a bit of a graining coating it sounds like (many TN gaming screens do) but it ticks every box for what you want i think. https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-pg248q/
Acer do their version I think as well & it will be slightly cheaper but I don't think their is a review anywhere yet.

Associate
OP
Well thanks for all your help again. I will bookmark that monitor and after a few weeks of staring at it underneath my address bar I will no doubt splash out! Although on the downside is will no longer have a single thing to blame when I play badly :p

Back
Top Bottom