Dell XPS 13 Range

Associate
Good evening,

I am very close to purchasing the Dell XPS 13 but I do not want to invest now if there's going to be a new version out anytime soon.

Anyone know how often this range is updated? Or have any good or bad experiences with this laptop?

I know that the late 2015 model (Skylake CPUs) was a small upgrade on the previous so I am wondering whether a completely new and better model will be released this year.

For information, the specification I have decided on is the i5-6200u, 8GB DDR3, 256 PCIe, InfinityEdge Touch display.

Thanks

Soldato
A friend of mine has the high end XPS 13 and it's a beautiful bit of kit - the screen is stunning but does make older games look quite funny - if unplayable - at such a high resolution!

Only problem he had was the lack of an output besides the USB-C which he didn't have cables for so couldn't use an external monitor - makes the laptop really thin granted but at least the 15" models have other outputs!

Was very tempted by one of the XPS 15's myself but will hold out for now and see what comes out later this year.

Soldato
I have a 9343 and its a great machine. Although I have had some issues with mine, to cut a long story story they are sending me a brand new 9350 tomorrow!

Looking forward to the Type C/TB3 port, that seems the business. Specs wise the GPU is better other the older model but not massive difference. SSD went from SATA to PCIe which is nice.

1 XPS 13 (9350)
1 6th Generation Intel Core i7-6560U (4M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz)
1 13.3 inch QHD+ (3200 x 1800) InfinityEdge touch display, Silver
1 8GB LPDDR3 1866MHz
1 256GB PCIe Solid State Drive
1 UK Power Cord
1 45 Watt AC Adapter
1 56WHr Integrated Battery
1 Intel Core i7 Processor Label
1 Intel(R) Iris Graphics 540
1 DW1820A 2x2 802.11ac 2.4/5GHz + Bluetooth4.1

Associate
OP
Yeah I might just go for it.

But now I am having a little wobbly about whether to spend a bit extra for the i7...

Soldato
I have a 9343 and its a great machine. Although I have had some issues with mine, to cut a long story story they are sending me a brand new 9350 tomorrow!

Looking forward to the Type C/TB3 port, that seems the business. Specs wise the GPU is better other the older model but not massive difference. SSD went from SATA to PCIe which is nice.

1 XPS 13 (9350)
1 6th Generation Intel Core i7-6560U (4M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz)
1 13.3 inch QHD+ (3200 x 1800) InfinityEdge touch display, Silver
1 8GB LPDDR3 1866MHz
1 256GB PCIe Solid State Drive
1 UK Power Cord
1 45 Watt AC Adapter
1 56WHr Integrated Battery
1 Intel Core i7 Processor Label
1 Intel(R) Iris Graphics 540
1 DW1820A 2x2 802.11ac 2.4/5GHz + Bluetooth4.1

I've ordered pretty much the same, but with a FHD screen instead of QHD.

Should be here within the hour of this post.

Deliberately wanted the i7-6560u as it comes with the Iris 540 GPU. Seems to perform decently for light gaming.

Associate
My brother-in-law had the 2015 model and I had the 2012/13. Both great laptops, although the fan was very loud on my one (later rectified on the 2015 model).

Screen is great on the newer ones and the form factor is amazing. It's a thicker than an ultrabook but has more ports etc.

If you have the cash, go for it.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
its the best small laptop right now for sure
i like the lenovo's too but the dells screen is nicer

the only thing ive seen worth waiting for is the new spectre 13
it has a 1440p oled screen
i love the contrast on oled they just amazing

duno on price tho...meant to be with us about may time i think

im just excited we finally getting oleds on laptops not just tablets!

Soldato
I've got several issues with my 9343, how did you get them to send you the new version?

Had a screen fault, keep switching off and back on again even in BIOs. Call logged a month or 2 after purchased. Upgraded to Windows 10 which randomly sent the issue away.

4 months later the same fault, screen kept flickering. Laptop was on but image would go off and back on.

They came out replaced the motherboard and screen.

Next day powered on the machine and powered off, Odd rebooted and kept doing it.

Ran Dells diagnostics and their ambient temperature was reading -128 or +128c.

Called them back - Another engineer was due to replace the Motherboard again, 2 weeks passed and they didn't have the part. Offered a replacement which was the 9350 as they didn't have any 9343 in stock :D

Caporegime
I need to send mine back, I'll ask them tomorrow. Mines got:

- uneven screen backlight (already replaced once)
- sunken spacebar
- bulge in case above trackpad
- wobbly trackpad

Could do with a nice new one.

Soldato
I bought one in for a guy in our group. Lovely fit and finish but found the full resolution impossible to work with when setting it up. Qhd is a great idea but on a screen so small it's virtually useless.

Caporegime
The QHD screen is an absolute nightmare on these if you plug them into an external monitor that isn't equally as high reaolution. We have some at work and they render the laptop screen useless as Windows still hasn't mastered proper varying DPI. You need a magnifying glass to read what's on it.

With the HD screen they are much better. The HD is also not touch screen so is matte and not stupid reflective shiny.

Back
Top Bottom