First Water Project: The Mad Titan

Associate
Hey all,

As the title suggests, this is my first water cooled build, and it's a fairly ambitious one too..

My inspiration was my existing setup really, I didn't like the GPU temps I was getting and started looking at a water cooling solution for my 2 x 980ti's and then I realised that I would really like a better looking solution rather than just a functional one; and that led me to a fresh build.

While the title is a Marvel Comics nod, it is also to reference my intention; a no holds barred, premium, high powered, bonkers build that should not only look awesome but be one of the most powerful builds this side of Christmas.

Colour scheme will be blue, black and yellow.

I will list the components here, once chosen, and keep it updated. I will also flood this thread with pictures and updates regularly to make sure that you guys see what a hash I'm probably making of things as I go along! :D

With this in mind, please feel free to impart your collective knowledge as much as you can!

Key:

Delivered = It arrived!
Ordered = Erm ordered.
Confirmed = Intended component. Changeable but unlikely.
Suggested = First stab. Changeable.
Tbc = Haven't looked at this yet. Changeable.
Striketgrough = Upgraded after installed

Components List:

Hardware;
  • Case: Caselabs SMA8 (Black) - Delivered
  • Motherboard: x99 - MSI Godlike Gaming Carbon Asus Rampage V Edition 10 - Delivered
  • CPU: Broadwell-E 6950X - Delivered
  • RAM: 128Gb Custom Corsair Dominator Platinum - Delivered
  • GPU: 3 x MSI Gaming X 1080's 2 x nVidia Titan X(P)'s - Delivered
  • PSU: Super Flower Leadex Platinum 2KW - Delivered
  • HDD: 1 x Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb & 3 x Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb - Delivered

Cooling;
  • 1 x Bitspower X99 full cover water block EK Rampage V Edition 10 Monoblock - Delivered
  • Bitspower Carbon Black fittings - Delivered
  • Bitspower Tubing 16/12 PETG - Delivered
  • Mayhems Purple Blue and Yellow Coolant - Delivered
  • 1 x EK CoolStream CE 560 (Quad) - Delivered
  • 1 x EK CoolStream SE 480 (Quad) - Delivered
  • 1 x EK CoolStream CE 280 (Double) - Delivered
  • 10 x EK Vardar F3-140ER 11 x Corsair ML140 Blue fans - Delivered
  • 5 x EK Vardar F4-120ER 5 x Corsair ML120 Blue fans - Delivered
  • 2 x EK-RES X3 250 Reservoirs - Delivered
  • 2 x EK-D5 PWM G2 Pumps - Delivered
  • 2 x EK-XTOP Revolution D5 Plexi Tops - Delivered
  • 3 x EK MSI 1080 full cover water blocks2 x EK Titan XP full cover acetal water blocks - Delivered
  • 3 x EK MSI 1080 back plates2 x EK Titan XP back plates - Ordered
  • 1 x EK 3 way GPU water block (in both clear and black) - Delivered
  • 1 x Nzxt GRID+ - Delivered

Lighting;
  • 1 x Custom light box - Delivered
  • 1 x Custom Acrylic Parts - Delievered (hand made by me in the end)
  • 1 x Nzxt Hue+ (and extender kit) - Delivered
  • X x Several small custom mods to set the build aside visually

Additional Items;
  • 1 x Aquaero 6 XT - Delivered
  • 2 x Aquaero Poweradjust 3 - Delivered
  • 1 x Custom sleeve set - Delivered
  • 1 x Asus ROG PG348Q - Delivered
  • 1 x Razer Blackwidow X Chroma RGB - Delivered
  • 1 x Razer Deathadder Chroma RGB - Delivered
  • 1 x Razer Firefly RGB - Delivered
  • 1 x Noble black/gold chair - Delivered
  • 1 x New Desk - Delivered
  • 1 x HTC Vive - Delivered

More to add to all of the above, but it's a start!

EDIT: This has turned into a full upgrade of nearly everything PC related... hey ho! :)
Cheers
Ben

Last edited:
Associate
Good luck with the build, looks to be solid, although I'd do a little more reading on the 4x1080 part, From what I could see/read they won't support 4 cards, and was a little confusion if the 3 cards used in the PC on show was just 2x SLI and a 3rd for Physx.

Associate
OP
Good luck with the build, looks to be solid, although I'd do a little more reading on the 4x1080 part, From what I could see/read they won't support 4 cards, and was a little confusion if the 3 cards used in the PC on show was just 2x SLI and a 3rd for Physx.

Yeah, I saw that... Not sure what the deal is there as nVidia haven't said a thing... I will wait and see. It's not a huge deal though as I expect to be upgrading to the 1080ti variant by the end of the year and that should definitely support quad sli, I hope! :)

Cheers
Ben

Associate
Looking forward to following this one too. You are using the same radiators, fans, GPUs, X99 Boradwell E etc as I am on my current build.

Out of interest. What do you make of the black and grey colours of the EK Vardar fans? Mine have arrived but they are really pretty ugly! I have just taken one apart to see how easy it would be to spray the blades white.

Soldato
Looking forward to following this one too. You are using the same radiators, fans, GPUs, X99 Boradwell E etc as I am on my current build.

Out of interest. What do you make of the black and grey colours of the EK Vardar fans? Mine have arrived but they are really pretty ugly! I have just taken one apart to see how easy it would be to spray the blades white.

The F4-120ER have a white version I think?

Associate
OP

I think there is an all white version and a white blade/black surround in the f4-120's... Not sure if that helps though mate!

I am going to mod mine so they will likely either be an entirely different colour/have led's/center logo or something... Haven't decided yet though..

Cheers
Ben

Associate
In for the ride as well. Case looks stunning.

May I ask, how much did you pay for shipping with Dazmode? I'm sure last time I looked it was somewhere around the $1-200 region and now when I look it's quoting a cheapest price (UPS saver) of $580CAD to ship to me in England.

$850CAD for the case seems a great price but there's no way I'm paying that much for shipping...

Associate
OP
In for the ride as well. Case looks stunning.

May I ask, how much did you pay for shipping with Dazmode? I'm sure last time I looked it was somewhere around the $1-200 region and now when I look it's quoting a cheapest price (UPS saver) of $580CAD to ship to me in England.

$850CAD for the case seems a great price but there's no way I'm paying that much for shipping...

I'm not sure to be honest, it was about £760 all in or thereabouts. Shipping was expensive to the UK, but in for a penny and all that! :p

I will say this though, it got here in 3 days max!

Associate
OP
4 x 1080 gpu... might as well go for the 128gb ddr4 then just for fun .. lol
Maybe! ;) Seriously though, my intention is to build this with 3-4 x 1080's and then replace them with 1080ti/Tx's or whatever when they release them... I am just waiting to see what the SLI limitations are on the 1080's first...

I know that's bonkers! :D

Cheers
Ben

Back
Top Bottom