If i buy 2 dual channel DDR4 kits will they become Quad channel?

Associate
Dont think i can find an answer for the question above, and I have looked at a quad channel version of the ram i want in the same capacity, but its an extra £40 roughly, and for that i may aswell double up and get 32GB because why not!
Question im asking is, will i need a solid quad channel out of the box or can i get 2 of the same type of ram, same speeds, exactly the same, just 2 dual channel kits?

Associate
It could be that the quad channel stuff is literally just 4 DIMMs of the dual channel stuff.

It could be that they have tested the quad channel stuff with Haswell-E in quad channel mode, and the dual channel stuff with Skylake, which is a newer memory controller, and the dual channel stuff might not clock quite as well on Haswell-E.

The manufacturer will tell you the second one is correct.

You will be fine, but you may, if you're unlucky, not hit the same RAM overclock, if that's something that's important to you.

Associate
OP
It could be that the quad channel stuff is literally just 4 DIMMs of the dual channel stuff.

It could be that they have tested the quad channel stuff with Haswell-E in quad channel mode, and the dual channel stuff with Skylake, which is a newer memory controller, and the dual channel stuff might not clock quite as well on Haswell-E.

The manufacturer will tell you the second one is correct.

You will be fine, but you may, if you're unlucky, not hit the same RAM overclock, if that's something that's important to you.

meh, for the sake of all the extra money, whats the point to be honest

Soldato

This in a way is true. Quad channel kits are essentially from the same manufacturing like as all the others BUT they are specifically binned and tested and confirmed to work well together in quad channel. For this reason it's IDEAL to buy a quad kit over two dual kits. Two dual kits may well work together but there is a reason there dual kits and not quad.

Permabanned
99% yes. some times the 1% is a no.

ram as about 20 times outside of the 4 you see on the lable. some times a kit that looks 100% the same at the time of ordering but will not be a perfect match.

if you get any system instbilty you need to test one kit at a time and look at the times in bios. and you will see one kit may have one or 2 times that are slower than the other. if you put this kit in slots 1 and 3 then the other in 5 and 7 the kit will all run at slot 1 speed and will work fine.

all ram will work in dual triple and quad channel, even unmatched sticks you just need to know how to do set it up.... slowest stick always go's in slot 1

Back
Top Bottom